Hi, question about my pipe.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by krnspwn, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Hello. I have a briar pipe. It rather good one. But I stopped smoking for awhile, but now I am getting into it again. Now, I thought I would not touch the pipe again, so I started to burn incense in it. Yes yes... I know it was stupid thing to do. I used it as incense burner. Not often though. I only used it as burner for about 5 times. Now, I want to use that pipe again. How can I clean it in this case and will it be safe to smoke out of it once again after the cleaning?

I am thinking about using salt and 95% alcohol method in the bowl. Just fill it up with salt, plug the other end, and soak the salt with alcohol and leaving it alone for 24 hours.

Will that be enough to be able to smoke out of it again? Please do respond to me. Thank you very much!!!

Also, one more question. I am still fairly new to the pipes and I was just wondering, can I use one pipe to smoke different blends?

-Brian-

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi Brian!
    Your salt/alcohol treatment should be OK for restoring your pipe. Smoke the first few bowls slowly though! You wanna get some cake build up which will improve future smokes.
    As for different Blends: You could smoke all sorts of baccy in your pipe... but it might be a good idea to get more pipes very soon, let's say a few cobs, and allocate different Blends to different pipes so you won't get any "ghosting" from previous flavours.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Hello and welcome, Brian! I have to admit, yours is one of the stranger stories I've heard about somebody (ab)using their pipe for something other than smoking tobacco, though I seem to recall another fella finding one that had been used as a candlestick holder. In that light, cleaning yours should be a cinch using the method you describe, though you could substitute cotton balls for the salt to make clean up a little easier.

Shadow is right about dedicating pipes to certain styles, it increases your enjoyment, but there's no law that says you have to do it. It is always good to have several pipes to rotate between, though, if for no other reason than to allow them to dry and air out a bit. They can get sour and gurgly if you don't. Cobs are good cheap pipes to get for this purpose, though they are by no means only for beginners.

Anyway, enjoy your pipe and the site!

Herb

Mark w4mms and IrishRover like this.
  4. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Ah, thank you for replying back to me. Yes, I am planning on getting another pipe soon. Mean while, I will be using this method to clean my pipe. Haha, I actually found funny that some one actually used the pipe as candle holder. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind, thank god I didn't. Anyways... Thank you to both of you.

-Brian-

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Welcome aboard, Brian! I think Herb covered it pretty well, so I'll just echo his suggestion.

6. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Hello, Welcome and good luck with your pipe! :D

7. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Brian. So you burned incense in your pipe? Was it "green"incense?

8. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Tx, no it wasn't. It was Nag Champa incense. Not the stick one, but the cone.

Thank you all!! I feel very welcomed here!!

9. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

One more question about salt and alcohol treatment. I am going to use Everclear 190 proof (95%). After it has evaporated from salt, what do I do? Dump the salt out and it's finished? Or do I have to rinse it out?

-Brian-

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I would take a paper towel, and moisten it with Everclear and wipe the bowl out after the treatment and let it dry out.

11. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Ah! Thank you.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

P.S. don't put the salt on your eggs. It'll make 'em taste funny! :D

Good luck! This process should work fine.

Chuck S likes this.
  13. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Make sure you treat the shank as well.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  14. Duke

Duke Member

Why not ream the carbon back as far as one can, before implementing the salt and alcohol? If the cake did its job it may be holding most of the scent. My thought is why add alcohol with the cake in the pipe, thereby liquifiying the scent and driving it deeper into the wood. Ream cake and scent then the alcohhol treatment. Just a thought.

15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

not necessary for tobacco ghosting. Who knows about incense ghosting though? This may be STEP #2. :D

Hey krnspwn, be careful with the Everclear as it will strip finish from the pipe in a New York minute. I worry you're going to treat it with the stem in and some alcohol may seep out the join and down the briar, ya know what I mean? If the pipe has been unused for a while it would be no surpise that mortise-tenon joint wasn't tight-tight super tight. You might do best to remove the stem and keep the pipe tipped back 45* and very secure when treating. Go ...drip...drip eyedropper-slow adding the booze if you never did it before. No spills.

16. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Ah, thank you Tx, Duke and Moo. The thing is that I have cleaned and restored pipe before I started burning incense. As I mentioned in my first post, I only burnt it about 5 times. There's no cake build up that I can see. Yes, I know it can strip the finish off the pipe, so I will be extra careful. Right now, I haven't even started the procedure yet. My pipe has been sitting on my desk for over 6 months without getting used for anything. The funny thing is I can only smell the tabacco pipe smell. Incense smell is at minimal, so I don't think it will be the problem at all. All I know is that I just want to clean the damn thing before I start smoking it, and I just wanted to hear second opinion on this.

Thank you all for replying to this. I am going to go ahead and treat my pipe with salt and everclear this weekend. Hopefully, I can start smoking next week!!! I am very excited!!

-Brian-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.