history of American pipe tobacco?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MrJarvis, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

we have all seen westerns, civil war movies, or even late 19th century period movies where pipe smoking is prevalent. does any one know what types of tobacco were popular in the civil war to late 19th century in the u.s.??

Were there popular brands? If any of you know, id love to learn more. Please list your source as well.

Professor likes this.
  2. kb7get

kb7get Member

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Hey, thanks for the links! :th1:

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Thanks kb7get!

5. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

In addition to the branded tobaccos available, I know that just about every druggist and grocer kept a plug of tobacco under glass on the counter-top; ready to be sliced up for both chewing and smoking in a pipe. Although I garnered this information from people who lived in the 20th century, I expect that it is still applicable during the 19th, and possibly even late 18th centuries.

Source: My 91 year old grandfather and 94 year old great uncle recounting their experiences as young pipe-smokers. They also noted that these plugs differed from town to town, but were usually Burley based. They were also the cheapest way to smoke (which appealed to my Scottish Quaker ancestors). Coincidentally, their 'boutique' brands of choice were Three Nuns and Edgeworth.

Professor and Stormy like this.
  6. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I can remember seeing locally made twist for sale in some country stores and older bait shops when I was a kid. My great uncle Will smoked it all the time. Always had a hunk of twist in the pockets of his overalls, grown by one of his friends. They stuffed it into drawers and cabinets to ward off moths while it aged. Apparently it worked. Uncle Will would be about a hundred and forty if he were still alive.:)

7. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.