1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

History of Nosewarmers

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DGErwin11, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

A customer asked me about the history behind nosewarmers. Unfortunately I am clueless, but interested also.

He also was interested in the reasons people like them. I gave him a couple. Anyone else want to chime in? He is a member of this forum, I think and maybe y'all can answer his questions.

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Good question?

3. DGErwin11

Maybe we don't have any pipe historians here.

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I believe they were developed for pipe smokers with poor depth perception. You know. People making quick turns and smacking their pipe on doorways.

Mington, Old Codger and DGErwin11 like this.
  5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I nose no history of knows warmers. I did buy one from DGE because I wanted to try one of his pipes. Honestly, I got the nose warmer as opposed to his other models because it was cheaper.... I was worried that it would smoke hot and I would get smoke in my eyes. Ends up, none of that happened; but the positive aspect was the light weight and comfortable clench/bite. So for me it's the ergonomics of the thing (aided by the custom bit).

Also, if buying one of his pipes keeps him off the street, it a boon for society.

Ted Vig, Motard, Ol Brokedik and 5 others like this.
  6. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

The first nosewarmer was a custom piece for Cyrano de Bergerac. Despite the size of his nose, he suffered from poor circulation and his nose would get numb in even moderately cool weather. An enterprising pipe maker made the pipe and Cyrano happily smoked it, keeping his nose warm, and enjoying the direct smoke from the bowl directly under his nostrils.

7. DGErwin11

I am allowed on the streets if I have a chaperon.:bdance:

dwaugh, Old Codger and Mington like this.
  8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Was the customer jpberg?:msty:

9. DGErwin11

Alas. no.

10. Iain

Iain Active Member

Funny this, I remember a post by Gerry (Falconeer) where he said that a lot of working class pipe smokers in the UK years ago used to smoke a little nosewarmer type pipe called a Stonehaven. They were good if you worked with your hands because they were super easy to clench, fitted nicely in a pocket and they were pretty cheap to replace.
    Well I've looked all over and only ever seen a couple on eBay, they went too high for my liking but just now I've noticed Greens of Leeds have started selling them, smooth and rustic finish for £8.50, they're made by Wilsons of Sharrow allegedly.

11. DGErwin11

Jake Hackert has a shop on eBay and I believe he makes briar nosewarmers.

12. Iain

Iain Active Member

13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I had never heard them called nose warmers until I hooked up w/PSF. I always heard them called a Tug, and the story I heard was that they originated with tug boat sailors because they were easy to hold in the mouth, which left the hands free to handle the lines. Also, because they were so short the pipe would not get in the way. It made sense to me because working a tug boat (especially when bringing a large ship into port) can be a pretty intense operation, and the last thing you want is a big ol' pipe getting in the way. As a sailor, I can easily see the advantage of a very short pipe if you're trying to work the lines (or do any other job that a deck hand needs to do) and smoke a pipe at the same time.

15. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

If I had known sailors were involved I would have gotten the regular model :)
    Last time I met a sailor older then I was he asked if my Mom lived in a coastal city. :) :) :)

RTOdhner, Old Codger, jpberg and 2 others like this.
  16. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

The things you learn in threads where dwaugh has the latest post...

dwaugh likes this.
  17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

"You can't muff dive with a cold nose". That came straight from the Dalai Lama.

jdto, Old Codger and jpberg like this.
  18. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Arrr. Shiver me timbers. Now who be the landlubbin' polywog who neutered me parrot!

dwaugh likes this.
  19. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

yea good luck finding one of his pipes for sale when listed they are bought in 5 mins

20. FiveKai

FiveKai Member

nose warmers seem to be my favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.