Hmmm, I used to like this stuff

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mtsgsd, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I haven't smoked in 27 years, and have recently started up again. I've never been a big fan of aromatics, but I've been smoking those over the winter to keep the wife happy. I always preferred stronger blends that have something you can taste, so I ordered a couple of Balkan blends that seem to get good reviews, "Balkan Sasieni" and "Balkan Supreme".

Both smell fantastic, but the smoke causes a stinging sensation in my mouth. WTH? I love Latakia, but I'm thinking this is what's causing the trouble? I wonder if I have some sort of reaction to it now :thumbsd: Rats!

Can anyone recommend something else for me to try? Aro's just don't have enough taste to me, but I really don't know much about tobacco. I started as a kid and never really learned what I was doing! :roflmao:

2. David L

David L Member

I can recommend that you send it all to me so you don't have to worry about it anymore ;)

But seriously, I dont know what could be causing that. Bite, maybe?

One thing's for sure.....that's good baccy and it's a shame it bothers you like that. :(

3. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

It's not bite that's for sure. I like the flavor in fact. Maybe I just have to acclimate to it. Still other suggestions are always welcome, and I'm not planning on disposing of this stuff that quick!

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I'd give some of those classic OTCs like Carter Hall, Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh a try. If you really want latakia, maybe a milder blend like Walnut or Spilman Mixture will help you get back up to speed again.

5. David L

David L Member

There are plenty of milder English blends out there that may not be as hard on you. I've been lucky enough to never have tongue bite :pray:

I'm sure one of the more seasoned vets will be able to figure out what's going on. The first time I smoked an English blend I hated it. The next day I loaded it up again and now that's all I smoke. No clue why the change, it just happened. :iiam:

6. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

Thanks for the help. I'm the type who has to analyze everything. I should mention that I meant it was stinging EVERYwhere, not just simple tongue bite, which I'm well acquainted with. It's light, but there.

Just to make things more strange, this made me want to try it again, and I made a change. I've only tried it in my two Cob pipes. I have a GBD "Sir Kenneth Walter" that just smokes better than anything else I have, and decided to try it. No stinging. Seems this pipe is my go-to for everything now.

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You might consider starting over on Lat blends with some McC's Frog Morton Across The Pond, which is a pretty mild English, or move over to Va/Va-Pers for a bit...Frog on The Bayou has a nice pepper/spice flavor that you might like.
    No...don't toss that tobacco. You're just getting back into piping....give yourself some time to acclimate. I always recommend the Frogs for an intro to "other-than-aromatic" tobaccos.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Smoke some Vapers or the like . Or go Burley .. MB GE / MB london ... wessex Burley slice or as Bri2k says ... SWR , PA or Carter hall . SWR and PA are just straight ahead smokes and cheap !

9. nobler son

nobler son Member

I'll always cast a vote for a good Virginia or VA/Per.

Also, I'll second t-bear. Frog Morton on the Bayou is supposed to be a Balkan, so maybe that's worth a shot.

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I've only tried the original Frog (it's awesome) but I thought FM on the Town was supposed to be the more traditional Balkan, whereas on the Bayou is supposed to more of a perique blend? Perique can get downright hot'n'peppery sometimes, so if you don't like a tingly mouth you may want to avoid that.

11. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

I like latakia for that reason the stingy sensation.
    I compare it to eating chillies or extra strong mints, it does sting but its strangely addictive.
    I think its different from tongue bite, to me its not a traditional hot smoke, just really spicy. I found, for the sake of your tastebuds, not to make it a daily smoke.
    Have it as often as you would have a curry or chilli
    Hope this has been of use.
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.