1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy Crap! I have a cellar...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

Funny story, or at least an interesting case of TAD.

I never really considered myself the type of pipe smoker to cellar tobaccos; I normally keep a few ounces of a few different blends because I like to have a variety at hand, but I never really cellared in the proper sense of the work, like many of you out there store more than a few pounds.

Now, I have 4 B&M in the area and between the 4 I can mostly survive without shopping online, and although I do some shopping online I mostly shop locally. For a while, every time I needed, say, pipe cleaners I went to one of the B&M's and thought "while I'm at it, I might as well get a few ounces of this, or a pouch of that, or a tin or two of that." That's been happening for a while, but I didn't know how much I had until last night.

It's been fairly dry here in Michigan, and last night I thought I should organize what I thought was, at the time, only a tobacco cabinet and put my bulk/loose and pouch blends in mason jars to protect them against the dry weather. So, I go to my "cabinet" and pull out all my bulk blends and start filling up and labeling mason jars, and when I was done I realized I have about as many blends as my local tobacconists. I have a crap load of the biggest mason jars available full to the top of bulk blends, I don't know how many I have but I stopped counting at 9.

When I was done I thought I would organize my tins as well. I knew I had quite a few tins and I've been sitting on them for a while. I start organizing my tins and I realize that I have over 20 sealed tins, and some of them are 8 ounce tins. After I was completely done I realized that, unaware, I have been cellaring all along. I also realized that I probably will not be buying any tobacco for the rest of 2012 and perhaps well into 2013.

My wife, being a little paranoid, has been stockpiling food and supplies in the basement in case we have a bad tornado or blizzard and we are trapped in the house for days (don't ask me, I am of the "Hakuna Matata" philosphy) and I think I have enough tobacco to see me through a nuclear holocaust. It's probably time for me to resist the PAD and, as I mentioned, won't be buying any tobacco until next year.

Now I have a very strong suspicion that, while my TAD might need to be in remission (mind you, never cured)I might soon develop a case of PAD...
    :shead:

If you live in the general West Michigan area (say, Grand Rapids and surrounding areas) feel free to drop me a note and maybe we can get together and have some nice smokes.

I'll let you know how my PAD is treating me, I am now having the Calabash Shakes

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Nice, Bent! You actually DO
    have a cellar. I know what a
    nice feeling it is that if you go
    a few months without TAD, you
    can still be satisfied in your
    stockpile.

Smoke on!

3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Pics (my fellow Michigander) or it doesn't exist! lol

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Nice job! I'm doing the same. Or trying to. I've got 1 lb. each of PS LNF and LBF. 7 tins of OGS and 1 1/2 lbs of FMOTT. I wish Peterson's Irish Oak came in bulk. A few days ago I ordered a half pound of Shortcut to Mushrooms. I hope it's good stuff!

Mington likes this.
  5. Capt

Capt Active Member

I wish you would keep the buying pace up. You never know when there won't be any B&M's left, or internet sales will be prohibited!

Motard and Stonewall like this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Here, here! I've been seeing it happen with cigarettes and cigarette tobacco here in Canada now for almost a decade. Our B&M's are all but gone in this area. We have one smoke shop left in Queen's City but they cater more to cigars and bulk cigarette tobacco. Most of the pipe tobacco selection there is OTC at best.

I'm selling off a bunch of pipes (and other stuff) and concentrating more on buying tobacco. Just this a.m I discovered that PS LNF is sold out or out of stock at most everywhere I looked with the exception of JFH. Don't know if that will continue to be a hard to find toby or if other circumstances are involved, but I'm glad I bought a pound of it here recently to cellar.

7. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Sounds like you've had a cellar for a while :)
    I might concentrate on your plan for a while Stonewall, more toby less pipes for a while. I might get in before they tax it to extinction or ban it all together, when supply dry's up we'll rule the world.

Motard and Stonewall like this.
  8. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

MacBarren's Navy Flake is a pretty good substitute for PS LNF, and you can buy it by the pound for a pretty good price too. You may want to look into that.

Stonewall likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'm fairly set on PS LNF and LBF. Albeit I was surprised to see it out of stock. I seem to be going for broke on the FrogMOTT. :eek:

I can't get enough.

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I agree. Just like guns, a SCAR ain't worth a damn if it's reduced to a paperweight. :byg: Bullets & Tobacco!

TRAVIS likes this.
  11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

and a nice cellar you have going!

12. Bent

Bent Member

Well, it makes sense to keep cellaring in case tobacco isn't so easy to come by in the future. However, I have to admit that, while this might just actually be a naive outlook, I have a more positive view on the matter. I agree that many blends may disappear (discontinued) as they have done time and again throughout history, and cellaring is an excellent measure against that and against increasing taxes. However, a few things to keep in mind:

1- Not every area is seeing a decrease in shops, in fact some have new shops added. In my area, for instance, there has been an increase in traditional tobacco shops (I mean pipe and cigar shops, NOT headshops). About 7 years ago there were only 2 true tobacco stores in my area, and in the last 2 or 3 years there have been 2 more added.

2- Blends always disappear, that's not necessarily the decline of pipe tobacco. Think, for example, of how the famous Balkan Sobranie disappeared and think that now, years later, it is back (whether it's the same or even close is a different topic altogether, it's back because there is a market for it). Also think of the blends GL Pease has had to discontinue due to not being able to find certain components, like Syrian leaf. Although some of his blends have vanished there are other newer ones.

3- GL Pease, while my favorite (and in my humble opinion, the greatest tobacco blender of all time) isn't exactly a blender established for years and years and years like, say, MacBaren. The fact that there is a relatively new blender like GLP of such quality and so well known tells me there is still a market, and a good one. I'm not gonna say he makes millions and billions and trillions of Dollars, but there's gotta be at least a decent profit, otherwise why go into business and take big losses?

4.- Pipe tobacco sales are steadily going up, they might not be the same as they were 50 years ago, but they are steadily on the rise. Yes, you can say it might be because it's cheaper to smoke a pipe than smoke cigarettes (in the long run anyway, and if you don't have too many AD's) but after so many years of pipe smoking I would not go back to cigarettes as my main form of tobacco, even if cigs were 99% cheaper... why? because once you learn the flavors, aromas, and relaxing rituals of pipe smoking you won't likely give it up. In other words, once you go pipe you never go back... :haha:

5- The last few years have seen an increase in artisanal pipe makers. No, they may not make a huge profit or be able to make a killing out of making pipes, but they are still there, and still coming.

6- Many local shops that I don't really consider tobacconists but more like cigarette shops, where they have some OTC's are now carrying a lot more pipes, not just the grabows and booles, but some other cheapie basket briars and cobs. They didn't have those last year, they only had the grabows.

7- Look around this website, look at how many new members we get and how many of them are younger guys just getting started (some don't even have facial hair) - That, to me, says that there is a new generation, right here, ready to take the torch and run with it.

In short, internet sales might be banned, there might be a shortage of local tobacconists in some areas (which to me only says there isn't a market in that area) and taxes might be up, but I don't think such a commodity will disappear, at least not within my lifetime.

With all the talk going about "pipeapocalypse" I thought I'd give you my two cents and end with a positive note.

13. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I'm sorry. I can't seem to find the picture of this cellar of which you speak. HINT!

IrishRover likes this.
  14. Bent

Bent Member

ok, ok, let me figure out this photobucket thing tonight and I'll post.

15. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.