Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I just started smoking in late July, early August and I'm having an issue with my pipe getting really hot. At first I thought it was because I was having to re-lite the tobacco a lot but I'm down to a two match lite and no re-lite and it still gets hot. Is this normal? I don't think I'm smoking excessively fast, about 20-30 minutes a bowl. I do smoke mainly aromatics, specifically a blend of black Cavendish and vanilla Cavendish from my local tobacconist.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

First off, welcome aboard! As for your question, 20-30 min for a bowl might be too fast depending on the size of your bowl. You might have it packed too tight as well... hard to say for sure, but I'm sure you'll get other suggestions, the folks here are really great.

3. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

What is the pipe made out of? Briar, Brylon? Maybe the pack is too much, or too tight, or maybe there is a hole in the bowl some where. Also the size of the bowl could be an issue with the time. (I.E. Small bowls ok, larger bowls maybe not) How fast are you puffing? Maybe try to slow down, Maybe?

4. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

It's happened with both the pipes I use, one is briar and the other is briar with a meershaum bowl inset into it. Both are fairly average sized bowls from what I can tell by looking at other pipes. Could be to tight of pack maybe, I'm still trying to work out the three step method.

5. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

One other question.

Are you smoking outside, with a breeze? This, I found, also causes the bowl to get pretty hot sometimes. You should be able to hold the bowl for about 5 seconds, comfortably, if you can't, it's too hot, and you risk damaging the pipe.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I assume you mean the pipe is hot to touch .. or hot smoke ? A pipe can get hot to touch but if it's like Hell Fire hot ... then yeah , somethings up . To tight , to loose or youre spazzing on it , which dosent seem to be the case . Which ever way youre packing .. try the opposite and see what happens [ tighten or loosen a bit ] . Youve only been at it a very short time ... just know that very soon it will come natural and you wont even think about . I've forgotten I was smoking a pipe that I was smoking while it was in my mouth .... thats the other end of the spectrum ... lol

Snake and davidmackv like this.
  7. HiloJohnny

HiloJohnny Guest

Yep...Ditto to all the folks have said so far....It's usually tobacco too wet, packed too tightly or puffed too rapidly. There seem to be some pipes that just smoke hot no matter what adjustment you make. But this issue almost always works itself out with patience....:old:

8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Tight pack, rapid puffing, heavily cased or wet tobacco, thin bowl walls, poor quality, ie, green briar, restricted airway in shank ro stem, high virginia content blend are all possible causes. You just have to narrow it down.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    In addition to all the good advice already given: have a look at your draught hole in the shank. Many pipes come with a draught hole that's too small.
    All my pipes have been opened with a 3/16 inch drill bit and the results were fantastic!
    You can also use a screwdriver for this which is what I use to keep the hole open. I doesn't have to be machine drilled but if you do, be careful! You don't wanna come out the other end of the bowl or hurt yourself!!!!!
    I had a few pipes that were hot smokers, not matter what I did! I've opened them and now they're superb, cool smokers!!!
    All the best!

10. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

One small thing that I'd add is that often times it's not just one thing or another with a pipe. It can be a more subtle combination of several elements all slightly off kilter. I kind of like to think of it like balancing an equation in math, and every pipe, and different toby is a different variable in the equation for a perfect smoke. But like Ruff said, stick with it and you'll get to doing it without thinking soon enough.

P.S. welcome to the forum! :)

11. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I always have to smoke outside. There is always at least my child running around the house (often all the neighborhood kids as well) and I am very careful about smoking around them for the second hand smoke. But, I did try packing my pipe a little more loosely today and it helped a tremendous amount. Didn't get hot hand once this morning! Thank you all so much for the advice.

12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

Jason,

Caution! Openness can make a pipe too open. Most of the cobs I have smoked hot until I restricted the draw with a different stem or purchased a Hackert cob. A wide open pipe will have an easy draw for sure....and with that comes a lot more air movement which increases the burn rate and temperature. Yes, I know all about controlling your puffing, but just starting out I'd be very careful "opening up" a pipe. If you do decided to open the pipe by boring out the draught hole start easy and just do a little at a time with plenty of smokes in-between each drilling.

Pipe drilling should match the bowl chambers interior dimensions. Remember you're looking for balance and a draw that matches how "YOU" smoke. Opening a pipe is a one way street - there is no going back. BTW, I've never had a pipe smoke too hot with a small draft hole. Wet! Yes! Hot no! Like I said I've had pipes that were wide open smoke extremely hot. A Falcon is another example of a pipe that smoked hot for me. I had to really watch how hard I sucked on the pipe to control the temperture - the pipe was wide open with a very easy draw.

I suspect improper packing and too much tamping while smoking is the culprit.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.