1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How Big Is Your Biggest ...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CarlBC, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

So I was curious about my fellow pipe enthusiasts' pipes, and thought to myself, "Hmm ... How big is my biggest pipe, and how minuscule is my tiniest?"

I'd have to say that my largest pipe, taking into account both outer dimensions and bowl volume, is my Gigante by Velani, if memory serves.
    My most petite pipe is a wee little prince by Chacom. I'll try to remember to add pics later this evening of the two.

Anyone else care to share? I'm kind of wondering if Marc has a MacArthur-style cob with a huge chimney somewhere in his collection. :lol:

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

My biggest pipe is a Dr. Grabow BIG PIPE and my smallest is a MM Pride cob, them MacArthur cobs are just too big for me! :lol:

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Mine are both cobs: A hackert General...1 1/2 to 2 hours with a loose packed, hot burning Burley...and one of the MM nosewarmer thingy's...haven't used it yet, but would be lucky to get any 'baccy in that chamber at all!

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

bowl size: new BBB billiard, its about the same diameter as a quarter and its about 1.75 inches deep, overall pipe, LHS special make, looks like a rusticated shillelaigh.
    smallest: elizabethan clay pipe, couldn't fit my pinkie in the bowl to the end of my fingernail. surprisingly smokes about as long as a cob loaded with the same tobacco. maybe .5 inch wide bowl, tapered like a cone, and about the same depth.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

My Peretti canadian is good for almost two hours filled to the brim. I'd struggle to get more than a 40 minute smoke from my Princet.

Bri2k

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

When I smoke McClelland Virginias, I get about a 25-35 minute smoke from a Pride cob, that's perfect for me!

7. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

I have a Viprati Sandblasted Horn that can only be described as a war club. It is a magnum in size and definitely not a clencher. It is a grotesque looking sweet smoking piece that has a stummel as big around as a baseball.

Jay

8. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Ok, so I got the pics. And I can get the brand names right now, too. :huh:
    Large: Gigante by LaRocca
    Small: Prince by Kings Cross

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

The one shown on my avatar is my biggest. It's a meerschaum with the Harley-Davidson shield and eagle carved on the bowl. The damn thing holds almost half an ounce of tobacco. I've only smoked it one time (a few years back) celebrating my 50th B-Day.
    The smallest smokeable one I have is a no-name prince. I can't even get my littlest finger in the bowl. I suspect it was originally intended for something other than tobacco, but, it is functionable.
    Beyond that, I have one on the end of a key-ring. Total length is an inch and a quarter. You can blow air through it (so it might smoke) but I'd probably swallow it by mistake if I tried.
    Dan

10. Demented

Demented Member

That's one hell of a pipe Dan, love to see a better piture.

11. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

My biggest pipe is a Ser Jacopo bent pot. We'll see if my stummel bum special is bigger. I also have a giant Sasquatch brandy thing that holds a ton of tobacco but it taller moreso than wide.

My smallest is this kaywoodie campus I just got. It's stupid small.

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I think this is still on topic.
    Demented asked to see clearer pics of the biggest one I've got. These are the best shots I've been able to get.
    Dan

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

absolutely on topic! i'd always wondered what was up with your avatar... i thought that maybe someone had spilled white-out on your photo... now i know better! [​IMG]

14. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

That's a really nice meer! Do you smoke it often?

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I've only smoked it once so far. I celebrated my 50th with it and it took most of the day to empty. It's so big and awkward (as if I wasn't) that I can't see making it a regular smoker.
    Number 60 is coming up so maybe I'll celebrate again.
    Dan

16. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

My largest would be an Armellini churchwarden, although I think the no name briar holds a bit more, and the smallest is a MM pride.

17. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I believe I've bored you folks with this guy before, but since you asked... My Biggest would be my Boswell Grizzly...

My smallest would be a John Pollock clay "Cutty" ... (no pic)

18. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Pro'lly this'n....bowl is 4" tall and 2 1/4" dia. outside. Inside is 3 5/8 deep by 1 7/8" dia. It'll smoke for 3 1/2-4 hours....easy!

[​IMG]

The smallest is a key-chain cob that the wife picked up at the St, Louis show....holds about 3-4 slivers of tobacco...good for *maybe* two puffs.

19. hoss

hoss Member

My biggest was acquired at a local Seattle Pipe Club event in one of the last smoker-friendly places in WA state, on tribal land.

It's a Karl Erik, but i'm not sure what you'd call the shape:
    [​IMG]

Dimentions:
    Length 8 1/8"
    Height 2 7/8"
    Bore Diam 15/16"
    Bore Depth 2"
    Rim Diam 3 1/8" (front to back)

My smallest would be one of the first meers i ever purchased. It now sits on the dash of my work truck and gets smoked very rarely when in a pinch or once in a blue moon on lunch break.

It's a tiny no-name that refuses to color, no matter how many bowls are run through it! :thumbsu:
    [​IMG]

Dimentions:
    Length 5"
    Height 1 3/4"
    Bore Diam 5/8"
    Bore Depth 1 1/4"
    Rim Diam 7/8"

[​IMG]

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've got an old Stanwell freehand that is about 2.5" deep and over an inch wide at the top, but fairly tapered. Still a gigantic beast though.

Just got through making this monster as a custom order:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.