1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I clean up an Ugly pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by allmighty114, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allmighty114

allmighty114 Member

Jul 17, 2011
    I see a lot of pipes that are for sale that are used and old. I am wondering how do I go about cleaning up a 20 or 30 year old pipe that has been neglected. What can I use to buff the outside, and clean the teeth marks off a stem. Does anyone have a step by step guide for taking a 30 year old ugly pipe and making it into something that can sit with pride in my rack. Also what should I look for in a used pipe and what should I avoid as far a condition in a used pipe.-- Thank you for all your help
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've never cleaned up an estate pipe, but I've seen lots of pictures of PSFers that have. Strongirish and nitehawk have both posted pictures of work they've done. Pretty amazing some of the before and after pictures you see.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Elbow grease.

Used pipes are a bit of a gamble because you usually can't tell what sort of condition the inside of the bowl is in, or if the airway is full of tar or something. Ordinarily, what a guy needs to figure out if he's going to start restoring pipe is how to scrape the bowl clean, how to get the airway clean (drills, brushes, pipecleaners, possibly solvents), how to get the stem from oxydized green to shiny brown (some kind of reducing agent and fine polish followed by wax, ordinarily a buffer is required).
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Mar 2, 2011
    There is lots of good info on the net, and in the forum. Here is a link to a blog post I made showing some of the steps I took with an old pipe http://vulcanitestem.blogspot.com/2011/04/fixing-up-old-pipe-and-stem.html Although that pipe was not in real bad shape...

This link does not show step by step stuff, but shows a pipe that was in worse condition, it didn't come out perfect, but much better.

Lots of people here are certainly willing to offer pointers, its what helped get me started. -David
    Stonewall likes this.
  5. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

May 6, 2010
    How do I clean up an Ugly pipe.

The first thing that popped into my mind was "put a bag on it", but that would be wrong.;)

Do a search on estate pipes, restoration & stems. That should get you started. I've done a few and it's lots of fun to see the transformation. Of course, you could spend a lot of time and end up with a poor smoker. That's why (in addition to being reduced to one functioning hand for awhile) I don't mess with it anymore. I know I can invest a small amount of money in a cob and end up with a good smoker. The money I save goes into my tobacco cellar.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Aug 28, 2010
  7. alchemist

alchemist Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Send it off to Floyd Norwood. (Google him; he's on the Internet.) I always call ahead to make sure he's not too busy, but he always says "send it." $10.50 plus postage, and you'll get your pipe back in less than a week in amazing shape. I realize some people like to do their own pipe-doctoring, but I'd rather submit to a root canal.
    Stonewall and davidmackv like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.