1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys smoke aromatics?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Captain Eight, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I figured I'd take the plunge last night and try another moderately aromatic blend (this one was Dan Tobacco Da Vinci). No luck at all.

I had to smoke it so slowly that it kept going out (like fifteen times), and even then it was biting the hell out of my tongue and just tasted like sugary sweet super-hot steam. It's not the tobacco - this is the same experience I've had with pretty-much every aromatic.

To make matters worse, I loaded the pipe up with Eric Nording's Hunter Blend Beagle afterwards - a blend I've only tried once, but really liked - and it tasted like nothing. I don't know whether this was due to the state of my pipe or the state of my mouth.

... and this is a pretty mild aromatic! Nothing like one of the cherry-blends that I have (not even game to put that goop in my pipe). How do you aromatic-smokers do it? Do you have tongues made of leather or something?

As a sidepoint, it occurred to me that it's probably not a good idea to recommend aromatics to beginners. They seem so difficult to smoke and cause so much bite. Better then to recommend a flavourful, cool-smoking and more forgiving latakia blend. My 2c.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

My answer: Lightly flavored, and in moderation. I used to smoke them all the time, but I thought tongue bite and gurgly smokes were the norm. I've become a better smoker since then, and I think I could handle even the most heavily-flavored blends with greater aplomb than I used to, but there are some that simply won't be tamed, IMO. I believe that Dan's DaVinci gets pretty high marks, though I've never tried it and couldn't give an opinion. My faves at this point are Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, Milan's My Finest Kind, and the new PSF Chick Magnet, and I like Middleton's Cherry Blend, Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla, and SWR Aromatic all well enough to smoke them occasionally. Sutliff St. George's Blend sat well with me, but I think that's the limit of how much aromatic flavor I can hang with. Tobacco shop bulks seem to be the worst. They're often swamped with glycol and seemingly incapable of drying out enough to smoke, and were the source of my previously bad experiences.

My advice would be to dry them a little more, look for lightly flavored ones, and in the meantime, smoke what agrees with you until you get very comfortable smoking slow, dry, and cool. I agree that it's easier for a noob to get a good smoke out of a Latakia blend, but that's often not the flavor or aroma that they think they want, at least not at first.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I still enjoy Lane 1Q, Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, and a few others. It may be just me, but I find a larger bowl seems to work better for me. If I smoke an aro in a small bowl, it seems to get hot to me too. I can smoke an aro in a larger bowl, and get a nice flavor & volume of smoke without as much heat.

Elwin, ol gto and Rewster66 like this.
  4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

BradNTX hit the nail on the head---Stay with mild stuff. In addition to his picks may I also suggest Boswells Best, Boswells Pennsylvanias Dutch Treat. ------I like these in bigger pipes, and smoke them SSSLLLOOOWWW. I am a HUGE fan of GIANT pipes loaded up with VERY mild aros. Stay away from the heavy aros--they tend to have a super room note, but taste much different to the smoker. They also tend to leave a nasty goopy mess in your pipe that requires a real attention to deep cleaning your pipe. The top of your pipe will get all sticky too as the smoke wafts over the top of the bowl--I don't like that sticky feeling on the top of the bowl.

5. snowman

snowman Member

I smoke aromatic more then anything else. My main blend is, BCA & 1Q. I like mixing them togeather in diffrent amounts and I never have problems with moisture.

6. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

It's been my experience that most aromatics don't have much flavor on the tongue to begin with, and the one I've tried that did made me want to throw up (Paladin). If you were having trouble tasting a non-aromatic afterwards, it probably was due to the tongue bite you mentioned. A burned or otherwise compromised tongue will dull the flavor of just about anything.

Before you stop your journey with aromatics, I suggest trying both Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Lane 1-Q. Neither seem prone to bite unless you have a brain fart and cook your tongue completely, and both have a pretty decent flavor on the palette, with SWRA being the stronger of the two. 1-Q is very mild, but if you take it slow it's a pretty decent smoke indeed.

ol gto likes this.
  7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Because Aromatics tend to be weak in flavor but pleasant in aroma the tendency is to "puff" them too fast if you are seeking flavor. They work best in a bigger bowl and sipped. That's why you see most people on the forum smoking mild aromatics with a good base of tobacco flavor, LTF comes to mind.

8. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I enjoy aromatics (keeps the wife letting me smoke in the house) and I tend to dry mine out some before loading one up. They're usually pretty moist, as I tend to by local bulk blends. Try drying it out and give it another whirl. If at the end of the day you're not a fan of aromatics no big deal, plenty of non-aro's!

9. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

What kind of tobaccos did you start off smoking? Many of us started with aros and then moved on to non aromatic tobys. Aros smell wonderful but in my opinion are lacking in flavor. I am kind of a purist though. I don't even like mixed drinks really, I would rather drink straight liquor than mix it. If I found an aro that had a very mild flavoring I think I would like it. So far the only ones that really interest my are Chick Magnet and MacB VC.

10. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I STILL find myself in cycles. VAs or VA/per for a while and then back to the aros for a bit, back to va/pers. I do get a sweet flavor out of my aros that seem to last a while. cleaned out my pipe bag today and loaded it with toby for the week and the 2 pipes for tomorrow. Peterson Deluxe mix and HH's AJ va/per. By Wednesday the toby will change.
    Guess it's kinda like "HOW DO YOU GUYS EAT LIVER" some people love it and some can eat it and people like me just can't do it.

11. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I'm not really commenting on the subjective taste. That's personal and I understand that some people like it and others don't.

I mean how do you physically smoke it without torturing your mouth??

;)

12. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Very carefully... I with there was an easy answer. I realized early on that PG and me don't get along at all. Considering that a lot, if not the majority of, aromatics have PG in them, they will bite me no matter what I do. I have found that drinking coffee, with a little bit of sugar in it, does help to mitigate the onset of bite.

13. qwik

qwik Member

Certain aromatics thats to strong for my liking, I mix in part Carter Hall to make a nice smoke

14. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I actually recieved a bag of Blenders Gold Rich vanilla from a Walgreen in the next town over the holidays as a gift.. It had a really nice strong vanilla flavor, but also tended to gnaw at my tongue. After a few bowls of it, it would render my tongue somewhat painful and very much flavor desensitized.. Literally, I'd smoke a couple bowls of rich Vanilla and then couldn't taste much of anything for the rest of the day.. To me, that's just no bueno. So, I thought, maybe if I cut it with something else I liked that was just a pretty much mild natural no biting flavor. Of course, i chose Carter Hall.. 50/50... After trying a zipper pouch full of it, I was pleasantly suprised that it still had most of its vanilla flavor, but a bit more of that soft enjoyable burley blend I like. So I ended up mixing all of the remaining 10 oz of Rich Vanilla with the CH and have enjoyed smoking it very much ever since. I'm down to my last couple ounces of it, and in the near future, I'm pretty sure, I'll end up mixing these two again... To me.. it was just that tasty and enjoyable.
    +1 Qwik.

ol gto likes this.
  15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If you feel like you're being really careful and still getting the bite, then be more careful ;)
    If you're being more careful and still getting the bite, jar it and forget it for six months and try something else. Aros aren't my bag although I do occasionally get the hankering for one. Some are better than others- just keep trying and you may find one that seems to smoke easier for you.
    Also, if it feels a little goopy to start with, try spreading a bowl's worth out on a desk or table and letting it air for half an hour. Oftentimes that will help with bite and also let a little excess topping waft away. Another tip is to try different bowl sizes- IMO, a larger bowl is the way to go for an aro. Helps to keep it burning without lots of puffing. Saves the tongue and brings out more flavor.

ol gto and Darkly like this.
  16. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

I mostly smoke aromatic or really sweet tobaccos. And I have to agree with what has been stated above a couple of times: they have to be smoked slowly. A glass of cool beer at the side is always a good idea :) A bit of drying might also help. Then of course, some aromatic ones just don´t taste anything, no matter how nice they smell. Tried a German chocolate flavoured one some time ago. Smelled really sweet and nice, but didn´t taste a thing. Threw it away in the end, there was no point in keeping it.

17. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks for the advice.

It's true I'm having trouble with them a bit. I feel like if I smoked it any more slowly, it would go out after every puff (it almost does already) ... yet the bowl still gets very hot in my hand. Not so hot that I can't hold it against my cheek, but when I do, it's pretty bloody hot!

I dry them out pretty well. Spread out in the sun for ten minutes. I pack the bowls pretty lose too. I use the 3-pack method. The first time I literally drop the tobacco in the bowl and very, very gently push it down to half way. The second time I drop it in and gently push it down to about 3/4. The last time I fill it up and push it down just firmly enough to get it just under flush. I would still consider it pretty gently. I reckon if I jammed the full bowls-worth down as hard as I can, it would probably compact to about 1/4 the bowl size.

18. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

To a great extend it´s probably also a matter of getting used to them. When I started smoking pipe many years ago all tobacco bit my tongue. Even the less aromatic (I had a period with Swedish "Greve Hamilton") did it. But after some time it just disappeared. So partially I think you were right in you assumption that we aromatic smokers have leather tongues :) But some bite more than others, and I haven´t tried that "da Vinci" one.

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

This just might be me but when I want a sweet smoke I have found that most Va' & VaPer's smoke sweeter than almost any Aro that I have smoked. I have found that natural tobacco's almost always smoke sweeter. Some aro's are just bitter to me. Now, I have had some good experiences such as with Firedance Flake and Shortcut to Mushrooms, which I absolutely love, and a couple of others but that is not the norm for me. I do not like a goopy mess afterwood either.

Paul

20. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

I certainly am no expert and have recently returned to the pipe. My smoking basics are undeveloped so I expect tongue bite from the only tobys
    i smoke, aros. That said, I read on this forum about Boswell tobys and thought I would try something other than what is available locally. I ordered Pipers Pleasue, Bowells Best and PA Dutch Treat, all aros. No tongue bite even though my smoking basics (loading, lighting, puffing) have improved little. I highly recommend Boswell's tobys and the staff there are great too.

snowman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.