1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Rest?...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Coda, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Member

I have enough pipes for them to get adequate rest in between. I even have enough good smokers to rotate them on a weekly basis. But darned if there aren't one or two in the bunch that I reach for first and have to chastise myself for even considering smoking it so soon. My new estate Georg Jensen is just such a pipe.

I frequently leave my bowl and stem unassembled for awhile after cleaning; is that a bad idea for some reason? Perhaps we need a little compressed air bottle with a little straw like WD-40 comes with so we could push the moist air out. Actually, I do have a vacuum cleaner and if I duct taped the bowl to the hose, I could . . .

2. Duke

Duke Member

Why The Fuss. Have you ever gambled all weekend? I mean all weekend. I've gambled all weekend with one pipe and ample tobacco. Hell, all I cared about is if my money didn't wear out. Not only did my pipe need a rest, but I needed about a week's rest. I was more sour than that pipe. I took my lucky pipe. I cleaned it and let it rest. It still smokes great today.

Old Codger likes this.
  3. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I don't seem to have any regular system. Sometimes i'll smoke a pipe once then put it aside, sometimes i'll smoke the same pipe multiple times consecutively if i'm "into" that pipe at the time. I recently applied some pipemud to a Comoy so it got smoked a fair bit to settle everything down. As to pipe position, stem up and bowl down.

Mington and Old Codger like this.
  4. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

George Jenson?....wasn't that a cartoon from....

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I seem to smoke more than most. If a pipe gets wet it gets put away, shank up. If it feels right like some of the meerschaums I'll keep it going along with another one or maybe two all day long. Rest for a pipe can be as little as half an hour at a time, to weeks, or when I next get drawn to it.

6. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I usually let mine rest for a day or so, shank up (bowl down) then blow out the old stuff and fill and light up

7. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

My pipes hang stem down with a pipe cleaner in them. Unless you have a really wet or hot smoke. I don't think it's necessary to rest a pipe.

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

I will smoke several bowls in a pipe per day and alternate with one other for my at work pipes. When I come home I may smoke a different pipe. I just stick my nose in 'em and if they are not to off-setting I smoke it. The pipe usually tells me when it has had enough. Resting? they lay flat on a towel or jammed in between the seat of my pickup. The house pipes have a pipe stand they go into, one of those type that look like a high heeled shoe--no definite pipe rack here.

9. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Whats the reason behind storing your pipes stem up?

10. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Tradition. Some think that it will keep juices from flowing int the stem and affecting taste. But if they are cleaned, even just a pipe cleaner run through, that should not be an issue. I use a plastic coated wire rack with the stems inserted downward and have no issues. It is important that they be clean whn resting and that they are where air can circulate.

11. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Ok. I like to give mine a quick wipe with a pipe cleaner, get excess moisture out, and leave a pipe cleaner in foe a day or so. Then they hang, stem down, in a tall mug. I don't have a true pipe rack as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.