1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you store your tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Smokey Tom, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Just curious if anyone has a special method of storing their tobacco, maybe for long-term storage and special occasions. I personally have always kept mine in the original pouches or tub. When I first bought a tub of Prince Albert, it started to dry out a bit on me after a while, so I took a bit of paper towel and laid a couple slices of apple on it and put in in the tub and closed it up. Added a little flavor and seemed to moisten in back up.

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Mason jars: 16oz, 8oz, and 4oz. That's long term, short term, and now smoking.

whitebriar and jpberg like this.
  3. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

If I buy something in a tin, I'll let it age in that. When I buy bulk or open a tin, I'll usually store it in a mason jar. Before transferring the tobacco in, I wipe down the inside and lid of the jar with alcohol and then zap the jar in the microwave (no lid) for about 90 seconds. After that, tobacco will keep more or less indefinitely. Compared to what I used to throw away, the jars have more than paid for themselves.

A good rule to remember: if you're able to smell the tobacco through whatever it's stored in, it's drying out.

Old Codger and DeusExMachina like this.
  4. Capt

Capt Active Member

Mason jars all the way. They come in all different sizes to accomodate the amount you have left in the tin.

And no fruit in the tobacco. Fruit can add mold to your tobacco.

Phatmandu, shadow and SalopSt like this.
  5. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Mason jars for me on bulk or open tin tobacco. I have a few sealed tins that I have left sealed so far, been very tempted though.

Gunslinger,

6. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

I store mine in tupperware, not only to they create a seal that keeps the moisture at a good level but they also make a good mixing bowl for flakes and tobacco that need to be rubbed. I simply put what I need in the container and do my business. It also gives a good smell when opening the container which is nice. A box where I live doesn't cost much and they will last a long time as I see it. I also believe that it is better to keep the blends isolated from each other then having them in a humidor or other place where scents can jump from one to the other, I would think this is true for aromatics and latakia blends.

7. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Wouldn't the plastic ghost from whatever kind of tobacco you put in it? It ok if you put the same kind of tobacco in them but what about when you go to swapping one for another?

Gunslinger,

8. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

I guess I would buy a new container, they are dirt cheap where I live so I can get by the cost. I also don't have that many aromatics so I guess storing a new latakia blend in the container of another latakia blend won't hurt the taste. I do have some mason jar like bottles where I store my pouch tobacco. I do believe that glass is the best way to store it, but I don't really have access to that many glass containers and I don't want to leave the tobacco outside the tins since I do believe they make a good seal by themselves and the tupperware just make it that much better...

9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I still need to transfer some tins and pouches. I hope it's not all dried out.
    For bulk, I use mason jars and they've been great. I need to start using mason jars for tins and open pouches too.

10. Johnny

Johnny Member

Mason jars for bulk and open tins I won't be finishing for a while. Sealed tins, pouches and tubs stay in their original packaging until opened

11. krusty

krusty Active Member

Mason jars.

12. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I have been using 8oz and 2oz mason jars with the wide lids.

I also have a couple of open tins that I did not transfer. I have stored the open tins inside of a larger ziplock bag and it seems to be keeping quite well. These are tins that I am dipping into almost daily, so I anticipate finishing them before they would dry. This ziplock over the tin method seems to help and it gives me a little pease :cool: of mind.

Old Codger likes this.
  13. shadow

shadow Active Member

I second that!:appl:
    As for my storage: I've got a load of old tobacco tins with screw-on lids. There's never any problem with drying out or anything else.:bing:

14. Thomas Ford Jr

Thomas Ford Jr Member

dito - the mason jars. Nice to take a wiff of a jar of red cake that's been aging for 6-8 months - wonderful!!! I do have a couple of the old ones with the red rubber gasket and the wire clasp over the top. Keep my go to bacca in them.

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I use mason jars too. Mostly 32, 16 and 4 oz wide mouth. Some favorite blends, I'll put a portion in baby food jars for frequent consumption. Labels are NOT optional! :)

krusty likes this.
  16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sealed tins, and wide mouth
    mason jars. That's it.

17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I store my bulk tobacco in high quality plastic bail top canisters that have silicone gaskets. I used to use the glass canisters but found the rubber gaskets deteriorate after a decade or so and the silicone gaskets have never failed. I store my open tins in large plastic tupperware containers and they will keep fresh for months. My sealed tins stay that way until they get opened.

18. Goat

Goat Active Member

I'm in the mason jar camp also. I use all sizes depending on what I need. Wide mouth 8oz jars are perfect for you standard size tin.
    As soon as I pop a tin open, it immediatly gets labeld and goes into a jar. I'f I'm out of jars, I won't open a new tin. ( I currently have about a dozen tins that I want to sample but I need more jars before I pop em)

19. mrpipster

mrpipster Member

Yep.Wide mouth mason jars for me too.

20. deyo67

deyo67 Member

Mason jars, of various sizes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.