1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you thin the herd?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by NickWilliams, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I need to let some of my pipes go to new homes, but I am having a tough time.

The first time I sold off a large portion of my collection it was in order to pay for my wife and I to get married. The big deciding factor on which ones to sell off was how much they were worth. If I could make decent money on them, they had to go.

This time it is different. I need to sell some off because they are getting neglected. The bits are starting to oxidize because I never smoke them, or even handle them anymore. Before too long, they are going to fall into a state of disrepair that will render them worthless. I have been cleaning the cob webs off of them, dusting them, and polishing the bits, but I don't always have time keep all of them clean. They also take up a little too much space. I just plain have too many pipes.

I only smoke about once a day, and there are only about 10 pipes in my collection that are my "go to" smokers. Right now I have about 50 pipes left, and a display case that will comfortable hold about 30 pipes. So, the deal I have made with my wife is that I will cull it down to only what will fit in my display case, and if I bring a new pipe home, I have to get rid of an old one. That means I have to decide on about 20 pipes to sell off, and I just can't make up my mind.

Almost all of them are good smokers, and the ones that aren't great smokers usually have some sentimental or esthetic value that makes them tough to part with.

So, my question is: Have you had to sell off parts of your collection, and if so what criteria did you use to decide which ones got to stay and which had to go?

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

You answered your own question, keep your go to smokers and get rid of the rest, that was easy. :) My current briar rotation is 3 DG Omega pipes, they sit in a three pipe stand on my desk, they have served me well for many years, they are well broken in and smoke sweet and dry.

RTOdhner and Rewster66 like this.
  3. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Well it goes without saying that those 10 or so go to smokers will stay. However, I have some, like my Blue Riband for example, that are not pipes that normally smoke but are awesome pipes that I wouldn't part with.

Right now I am looking at an Aldo Velani and a Kaywoodie Super Grain.

The Aldo is one of the first pipes I ever bought, it has some sentimental value because I have owned it for so long, and it is a really pretty pipe, but it smokes like your average $50 pipe.

The Kaywoodie on the other hand is nice old vintage estate pipe that was broken in well, and smokes better than the Aldo.

Which one would you let go?

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It's simple. Sell me the Comoys

NoRm and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Dude, 'Eeny, meeny, miney, mo....' :)

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If you have a couple with sentimental value that you don't smoke I would clean, polish and put them away, like an heirloom piece.

7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Pick out ten that you smoke the most and then the ten that have the most sentimental value to keep. Then put the remaining 30 up for sale. Use the proceeds to treat yourself to one or two pipes you really want and keep a few open spaces on the shelves since who are we kidding ?

Preacher1611 and The Big Fil like this.
  8. Tanman

Tanman Member

I keep my best and sentimental smokers and pass my others onto a good friend of mine who is just getting into the art of pipes!

Preacher1611 and Kiowapipe like this.
  9. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

It was actually me trying to buy more Comoy's that got me into this mess. I put a bid in on a lot of 5 of them on ebay and got in trouble. I've been outbid, and I can't decide if it is worth the flack I will catch to put another bid in. Plus if I actually won them, that would be 5 more pipes I have to get rid of to balance it out. You should check out this auction, it looks like it might be a really good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150773406962?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

The best thing to do would be to send me all your pipes. I'll send you back the ones you should keep.

Preacher1611, John Long and Arkie like this.
  11. Bent

Bent Member

I was gonna ask you why you wanted to do that, but you answered that pretty good.

Why don't you pack away the sentimental ones, put them in the attic or something?

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

PSF Raffle? (and NOT run by YinYang) heh :booty:

nesta and Rewster66 like this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Do what I'm doing, tell your wife to get out and keep all your pipes and find another woman 10 years younger.

Edit: Seriously though, I would keep the sentimental pipes you have put up in an old shoe box in the closet. You can clean them, put a light coat of carnauba wax or even chapstik on the stems and wrap them in cheese cloth, box em' and there ya go.

Keep your stable of favorites and let the others go wanting homes.

NoRm and Jeebs like this.
  14. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I would keep all of them... one thing I have learned in my old age... is ...you never get rid of nothing.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  15. esteban

esteban Active Member

I have increased the herd by 31 pipes in 2 months and am luving it. (no wife). Try this. Keep them all and line em up in twos. Pick 2 for each day of the month and you'll be smokin every one of the lil devils. Some of your not so good smokers might blossom with some attention. Try that or I agree with Stonewall, store em. Dont off em unless you can reap some cash and then spend it on acouple higher end pipes. This is a 1st world problem.:doh:

Stonewall likes this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

:xd:

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If you have pipe smoking friends, this is a good way to go. It stings less when you're doing a good thing for a buddy and you know the pipe is going to a good home. Plus you know you can still visit it from time to time if you want :)

Arkie and Stonewall like this.
  18. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Not sure how to cull the herd, only you can decide, but I will say that any pipe you would consider putting up in storage should probably be sold or pass on to another. Yes, even the sentimental ones, for if they are in storage, they do not honor the "sentiments" for which you're hanging on to them for. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I've personally found that a lot of those "sentimental" items just had more to do with my own "separation anxiety" than honoring the memories they inspire.

Just my 2 cents
    (actual street value: 2 cents)

19. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Nick, which ever ones you decide to sell, you might want to put them in a lot on ebay, maybe a group of 10. That way it's like a bandaid "Right Off !!" (keep that Riband though)

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Get a buffer and make them glow and put them on display ... unless they're really cool Kaywoodies ... then you could sell them to me cheap , I wouldnt mind . :beck:

nesta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.