How Good is your Memory ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MAINE CODGER, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAINE CODGER

MAINE CODGER Member

After seeing the numerous old 14 oz. tobacco cans in my shop used for nuts, bolts, parts, etc., a friend
    asked me yesterday which brand was my very favorite. Without much thought, I said Granger because the original version by L&M (not Pinkerton or now Lane ) was just plain wicked good stuff.
    Thinking more about his question after he left, I came up with another answer. Dill's Best could also
    be my all time favorite. There was something unique about the flavor/smell of Dills that held your
    interest. Do any of the more senior pipe smokers here recall smoking Dill's Best; and, if so, can you
    identify the characteristic taste or smell? ---Thanks,R.F.P.

2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Hmmm, How good is my memory?
    Well, I don't like to brag, but since you brought it up, suffice it to say...
    Wait...what was the question?

Never heard of Dills Best.
    I wonder if I am too young (mid 40's) or if we never had it in this area? I have been shocked, since joining this forum, at the number of tobaccos on the market, that have never been seen in this part of the country.

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Sorry amigo...I can't even remember breakfast......

nesta likes this.
  4. bigbird48

bigbird48 Member

I remember trying Dill's but never had a chance to give it a second try.

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever trying Dill's, but I do remember the old Granger - like from two or three reincarnations ago (the blend, not me). You're right, Granger used to be some awesome stuff. The newer Granger does kind of have a hind or two of it's former glory, but nothing like it was back in the 1970's. It's a shame that it was allowed to suffer over some arbitrary price point. If they'd have kept the same quality, it would have been worth the extra coin to keep it good. I still buy Granger every now and then, but not regularly.

6. krusty

krusty Active Member

Don't remember Dills. Just as well, thought this thread was going to be about CRS and..... what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.