How horrible is it...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CarlBC, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

How horrible is it to try a tobacco that's new to you, only to find out it's out of production? (That's OOP, for the abbreviations collectors here.)

So I nabbed a bit from the samples in the most recent box pass, and I LOVE this one tobacco! I look at the bag the tobacco arrived in to get the name - Peter Stokkebye's Curly Cut - and the little scribble on the tape ... "no longer in production".

Now, I appreciate everyone who added samples before I got the box. I really appreciate the tries the box pass affords. But I'm not sure whether I should laud the individual who grants a taste of a blend soon extinct :bow:, or if I should rant at same individual for taunting me with something I can no longer acquire :roflmao:.

PS Curly Cut may become a Grail Quest for my cellar!

:drinkin:
    - Carl

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

You and me both!

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Well, on the bright side, at least you had the opportunity to try it and "know". Too bad it's oop but I'd bet that there is some local "out of the way/less frequented" B&M that has some collecting dust on the shelf/jar. What toby is it? Maybe we can all keep our eyez peeled to help you get a little stash of it....... :drinkin:

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Stokkebye Luxury Curley Cut

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

In my opinion, good tasting tobacco is like beautiful women; they're a dime a dozen. I've learned to not get too hung up on a particular toby when she decides to walk away from me. I know there's some other good blend out there just begging to be smoked. :drinkin:

[​IMG]
    Well, since my toby left me,
    I found a new place to dwell.
    It's down at the end of lonely street
    at PSF Hotel

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Agree w/stoked. You are only crying about Stokkebye Curly because you havn't had Heinrich's.

7. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I don't agree with either of you. I could go into why, but it would become a diatribe. :xd:
    I'll just agree to disagree, and keep looking for PSLCC.:thumb:

:puffy:
    -- Carl

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Carl ... it sucks . It sucks even more when your favorite blend dissappears [ three nuns , edgeworth :thumb: ]. But ya gotta keep on keeping on

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Carl, all I can say is...

"Tis better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all".

Alfred Lord Tennyson

:thumb:

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i'm pretty sure i have a small bag of that crap somewhere. i usually tolerate stokkebyes well but i thought that toby was utter pants.

11. BradNTX

I'm sure Carl has a "trash can" you can toss it in so it doesn't contaminate your other toby. :flowers:

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Why do blends like this go out of production? I get when a blend disappears because a component tobacco becomes hard to get, the distributor no longer ships to a certain area, or the company goes out of business. In the case of LCC none of these things is the case and Peter Stokkebye blends are not only around, but readily available.

13. Puff The Magic

Maybe lowest sales and profit margin not enough to off-set it's remaining in production? That's how many things get "canned" at least until demand forces any capable return.....

:)
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Thanks for the sediment...I mean, sentiment.

:)
    -- Carl

15. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

That Curly Cut was very enjoyable stuff and it's a shame it's no longer available, but I agree with Stoked too.

Try some Mac Baren Acadian Perique. It'll make you forget all about the Curly Cut.... It did for me anyways.... :flowers:

16. Puff The Magic

"Stoked" Perique is 100% "on-beam" here. You've had your "fling", you've tasted her, you want her, now go find her. You have the rest of your life to hunt her down. In the mean time, don't hold yourself to abstinence while on your quest. Meet others, give 'em a "go"! Enjoy your old friends while on your journey/hunt, be sure to meet new ones. Go forward Carl!

I checked my cellar since I had some toby stashed for nearly 20 yrs and I don't have any. Sorry. If I had, I'd give you some so you can have a few more bowls along your hunt. Keep looking, you'll either fine "her" or meet someone brand new that never turned your head before and now, she'z a "Dazzler"!

Go Get Her!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

17. CBR

CBR Member

Like a Phoenix rising from the tobacco ashes as it were.

18. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Thinking exactly the same. :xd:

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I like Tommy Lee Jones' response to that in "Men in Black"

"Try it."

20. BradNTX

I emailed The Briary in Homewood, my go-to tobaconnist. They had Stokkebye himself at their store along with their Marketing Manager earlier this year. Nope, John said they didn't have any left. Sorry, dude. :whistle:

Maybe if some of the other PSF members contact their favorite B&M someone will find a stash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.