1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How I got into pipe smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by kb7get, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kb7get

kb7get Member

Jan 30, 2012
    When growing up I used to go into a local variety store where the owner was always puffing on a pipe. He lived behind where my family had a grocery store and I got to know him well over the years. I always loved the smell of his smoking. When I got old enough to start smoking I went to a pipe because of him. As we both aged and he retired I used to visit with him and help with things he could not do by himself anymore. We would both play cards together in a local card shop till he died then his family gave me his pipes (which were shot) but also the unopened jar of Velvet tobacco (tax stamp Nov. 1942) which I have had for about the last 30 years. I plan to open it in Nov. when it turns 70 and smoke a bowl in his memory before I get too old and it just gets tossed by my family. Wish I had some local smokers to share the opening and smoking it with me but the only local I know of is dbwittkopf. Maybe I can get in touch with him sometime and see if he has any interest of trying it out with me or if anyone around the Boise area reads this they can PM me for it. I live about 40miles West of Boise. I also have a tin tub of 30? years old of half&half that would be fun to get with someone that would be fun to have a get-togeather with anyone and do an opening & smoking at any time. Wish there was a local pipe club that I knew of that did this type of things. I would not mind learning and tasting some of the "fancy brands" of tobaccos you all are talking about here that my local shops don't carry. Since I joined here I have found out and tried their store names which happen to be 1Q, PS Proper English, 1M and lane PS1 which I like. Other wise it has just been Granger, SWR, CH, and KentuckyClub mild tubs, SP whiskey and Black Cavindish that I have stocked and used for years. I had also added the cheap 16oz bags of smoker friendly regular and smoker's best original to get that quick nic fix smoke which helped me quit smoking regular cigs. So compared to many here I have had a very limited style of tobacco smoking pleasure but have kept with what I found and liked for 40 years.

Stonewall, Artistik, RTOdhner and 6 others like this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts ! I'm curious how that Velvet is compared to todays Velvet . It sure is a cool package .... I would love to buy blends packaged like that today . The color of the blend looks lighter than whats in todays blend ... or am I mistaken
  3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    kb, you've been doing it for forty years, apparently enjoying yourself, I don't know how you improve on that. "limited style of tobacco smoking pleasure" be damned.:)
  4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Jun 5, 2010
    What he said!!
  5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    There's a saying in the pipe world that fits perfectly here....."Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!" I have had friends over the years who smoked only one blend and kept only one pipe....for them, that is the "perfect" combination. So if your "limited style of smoking pleasure" suits you fine, you can ask no more from this hobby/pastime/passion/obsession. Sounds to me like you've found what a lot of folks are still searching for....the Holy Grail.

That 1942 Velvet is my birth year. If/when you finally pop that lovely, I would consider it an honor to receive a bowl or two to smoke in your mentor's memory. That's some A-G-E-D tobacco! Besides, it would be so cool to smoke a tobacco that's (almost) as old as I am! My B/D is 3/16/42........:old: :byg:
    Artistik and Mington like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Great story and it sounds like you have pipe smoking down pat...
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Great post. Be sure and let us know how that Velvet and Half and Half smoke. I think that many of us in the 40 and over crowd got into pipe smoking in much the same manner. In my case, it was my late Uncle Danny. I don't think he ever owned more than two cobs at once, and he always kept them full of either Granger, Velvet, or Half and Half.

He did everything "wrong." He would smoke the same pipe back to back. He occasionally had a pipe nail, but mostly he used an old pocket knife to tap his tobacco and scrape out his cobs. He used some sort of mud or something to fill the cracks in his cob until said cob would literally crumble to pieces and he could be fill it no more. He used the same old plaid roll-up tobacco pouch for any tobacco he happened to be smoking at the time, with no thought to ghosting.

And though it all, for many decades, he was perfectly content.
  8. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    That's a great story. That's what it's all about. Taking time to sit back, spend time with great people and really enjoy life. You could spend your life chasing some sort of tobacco nirvana that may not exist, or you can find a blend or two that you just flat out love and if that's what you enjoy then that's what it's supposed to be. That Velvet will be great because of the attachment.
    The Half and Half unfortunately will require an exorcism and have to be banished to another realm..it is made of evil spirits and weed of lucifer.
    Stonewall and RTOdhner like this.
  9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    What a nice story. I hope you enjoy the smoke. Please let us know. I know I will be following up on this thread.:th1:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.