1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How lon to rest a pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Duke, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke

Duke Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Throughout my pipe smoking years there were pipes that I enjoyed smoking quite often. So much so, that they didn't always get a rest, but they didn't sour. Most often rest came solely due to boredom smoking the same pipe. It was an aesthetic, or maybe a strictly physical attribute(such as straight vs. bent), that pushed me to a different pipe. So today I was at Marty Pulvers web page and read his regular rambling, known as, The Mill: read….
    http://pulversbriar.com It confirmed my suspicion that if a pipe is a good smoker it doesn’t require a rest, rather it can be smoked often and long requiring only a thorough cleaning. What is your thoughts?
    Basil Meadows and Monkeyshine like this.
  2. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Aromatic Fart

Apr 1, 2012
    Agree. I have a couple that are a joy to smoke. So much so that I tend to abuse the hell out of them! One is my old Medico Cavalier that is pictured in my avatar. Kinda reminds me of my dog, aint pretty..not expensive..but is always faithful and does bring enjoyment and relaxation.
    Rodfather likes this.
  3. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

May 19, 2011
    For optimum taste briars require several days to dry. They are roots, and were evolved to retain and transmit moisture. Meerschaums only take several hours to dry. Obviously the humidity can make the time longer or shorter.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    It's been discussed so many times here.....but one more won't hurt:rolleyes:, when I started (late fifties) most pipesmokers possessed one or perhaps two pipes (one for work, and one for 'best') we smoked them...dare I say it! - all day, at work....because then you could!, run a pipe cleaner through now and then and as it was an engineering shop - an occasional blast from the compressed air line gun, and they rested same as us - over night. Rotation?, what that meant was - who's turn it was for Saturday overtime!. Don't remember anyone moaning about their pipe tasting bad, or the Condor loosing flavor!. About that time Falcons were becoming really popular, guys were turning to the new 'superpipe' in droves! you really could abuse those things - screw the bowl off mid-smoke, flick the 'juice' out, a quick wipe round with a rag when finished, and regular scraping out of the carbon meant they were set for the rest of their days.
    A couple of years ago, for some reason (probably forgetfulness!) I went on a fortnight's holiday abroad, taking just one pipe - a Peterson 'Donegal Rocky', I smoked that pipe all day for two weeks and it was still smoking well when I went back home, having just had frequent cleaners through. Yes, I have quite a few pipes now - because I can afford them, it's fun, and I read a lot of stuff on forums LOL! but do I enjoy my smokes more for giving them convalescence every other day?....do I f#*+!:old:
    Rodfather and Professor like this.
  5. Professor

Professor Active Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I know that this contradicts everything what the 'book' says - but I'm not taking this resting-period 'laws' very seriously:

Meer: min. 30 minutes cooling time
    Cobs: a couple of minutes cooling time (or smoking back to back)
    Briar: a few hours
    Stone: no cooling time

That's it. :hbang:
  6. JakartaBoy

JakartaBoy Member

Apr 9, 2012
    I took two cobs on a trip to Japan for a week, during which I smoked more heavily that usual. No problem, apart from the indignity of having to stand in the little public smoking areas to light up in the city no smoking zones. On the other hand, I took four pipes for a weekend at the beach last week, but that was mainly peacocking in front of a bunch of friends. If I'm at home, well, I've got 27 pipes now, so I guess they get a rest. A John Bessai that I'm having a passionate affair with at the moment sees daily use, at least. If you have enough pipes that you like, they sorta rest automatically, just because they all have something special about them and you want to give them each a turn. I probably deliberately don't use any briar more than once a day, but it probably wouldn't matter that much if I did -- but then, how would my other pipes feel?

Pipes are more like children than wives, you're officially allowed, even encouraged, to love more than one at a time.
    Professor likes this.
  7. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Ive been smoking my Smokemaster 300, 3-4 times a day for about 3 weeks now, and if anything, it seems to be smoking better than before!
    Professor likes this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've never loaded a warm pipe, but that's the only rule I stick to. I do try to let them dry out based on how much I've smoked one. If I take a cob to work several days in a row, I try to let it rest for several days. I have enough briars, I don't have to smoke them back to back in the same day, so haven't really pushed it. Plus, I only smoke 1-2 bowls a day anyway.

Basically, if the heel looks wet in the bottom, I go for something else.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    When I first started smoking a pipe, my friend and mentor who had been smoking a pipe most of his life, close to 60 years when I knew him use to tell me the more you smoke a pipe the better it gets, I never saw him rotate a pipe, cob or briar, he always seem to be smoking the same pipe when I saw him, although he had a couple of different pipes at home on a little round pipe rack by his chair and they were some well used pipes. He also had a pile of discarded old cobs in one corner of the dirt floor of his barn, a couple of hundred at least, he was a crazy old coot but loved smoking a pipe, he use to smoke his own burley twist tobacco most of the time, other times I would see him loading from a SWR pouch. He was my neighbor when I lived out in Yadkin County in NC many years ago.
  10. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Feb 5, 2012
    That sounds almost like what I do.
    Professor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.