How long an open tin will stay fresh...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AK Kilted Guy, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

I've often wondered how long an open tin of tobacco will stay fresh. Well, I found out that 2-3 months that I've had my SG Westmorland and Chocolate Flake open is too long. Sigh....

Oh well, I'll rehydrate it and get it in a jar. Lesson learned. I really wanted a bowl of the Westmorland last night. I went with some Plumcake that I had jarred instead.

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I've been there. I was recently able to get a dozen mason jars for about $8. If I'd bought them six months earlier, they would've already paid for themselves three times over based on the dried-out tobacco I've thrown out.

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Alot will depend on the amount of humidity where you live. I live in the mountains above the Mojave desert, with the weather warming it gets extremely dry up here. I keep a close check on my tobacco, and when I set some out to dry a little before a smoke, it can be ready in 5 - 10 minutes...

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

You could always blow back through a bowl of overly dry leaf to rehydrate it good enough...a couple of deep breaths will make most things reasonably smokeable.

I've had tins that dried out in a couple of weeks, and tins that would probably stay moist for years. I think a lot depends on the tobacco and the type of tin.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Yeah. I knew better. I am going to rehydrate it en masse and jar it. It will still be smokeable. And it is generally pretty dry around these parts. Just carelessness on my part.

6. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Now see, there is a good tip. Hadn't thought of that even though i've noticed the inside of the pipe getting a bit damp when i blow out tobaccobits etc.

Also, yeah, type of tobacco and type of tin. The square tins like G&H or SG use are generally crap for storage. Screw ons or even the plastic lid ones are reasonably good. Well.. plastic can be a bit iffy. GL Pease plastic lids suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.