1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How long and how many relights?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Captain Eight, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

How long does it take you to smoke an average-sized bowl, and how many relights?

I'm sure this is partly dependent on the tobacco, but just on average.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

For me, it can't be answered. The pipe, tobacco, my activity at the time, and time of day all play too much of a factor to be answered.

Smoking Gun and Elwin like this.
  3. RobRiguez

RobRiguez Member

I pack and light some 1Q in the cobb before pulling out of my driveway. After a few blocks I tamp and relight and Im good until I get to work about an hour and a half later. I find myself relighting MUCH more often at home. Havent figured out exactly why yet. Might be the different pipes. My cobbs are just Ossum smokers.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Depending on bowl size I can get up to one hour out of my pipes, usually without any relights.:bing:

UberHuberMan likes this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Depending on the pipe, and tobacco, I average 1 to 1.5 hours a smoke with 2-3 relights if the toby isn't too wet.

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Most of them are around 45 minutes to an hour. 2-5 relights maybe?

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same here..........

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I'm in this catagory also. A large bowl i can get an hour out of .

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Depending on bowl size and choice of tobacco, between 45 minutes to an hour and a half, sometimes even two hours on a big bowl with the occasional rest. Relights? I don't know, between 3 and 5 I guess, but I don't pay much attention, as it's rarely worth worrying about.

IrishRover likes this.
  10. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Geez. I've been smoking for six years and I still go through a small box of matches per bowl. I guess I need to go back to basics to see if I can refine that.

On average, I'll get an hour to 1.5 hours out of a regular sized bowl.

dwaugh likes this.
  11. user2453

user2453 Member

I am lucky to get 45 minutes out of most of my bowls in a pete donegal billiard. Maybe I am packing to loose.

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Kinda like that. Depends on how much I'm distracted or daydreaming; or whether I rubbed a flake out well or just mashed it in the bowl.

I found a half-filled pipe in the car after the weekend and finished it Monday so that bowl lasted three days on maybe three lights.

Smoking Gun, Dondi and ol gto like this.
  13. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

Depends largely on my packing method. I've been infatuated with the air pocket method which usually only lasts 30-45 minutes at most. With the more traditional packs (3-step) usually an hour to hour and 15.

14. user2460

user2460 Member

Perfect answer Moo!

15. Mister Moo

When I was a kid I asked dad how many tanks of gas we'd need to drive the Plymouth to the moon. He said, "Just one - if it's big enough." A lot of our "how big" and "how many" questions are STILL hard to answer.

Smoking Gun likes this.
  16. user2460

user2460 Member

Ha ha! Brilliant!

17. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I know it's a difficult question to answer, but I did mention "average" a couple of times... average bowl size, average tobacco, average smoke ... all averaged out!

;)

18. Mister Moo

Ah yes! Average. So you did, so you did.
    I was going to say 3.5 lights x 1-hour but I like to think my smokes are somewhat above average. :banana: So lets say 4 lights x 55-minutes. In fact, I smoke smaller flakes pipes mostly so I'd have to push hard for an hour but lately I've been nursing that mammoth MM general so my averages are off. Flakes often need extra relights but I rubbed out the SG Golden Glow pretty well (and dried it a bit) and, yesterday, trapped on a long drive, ran two bowls through the General that burned almost 90-minutes, to ash, on two lights each. I mean, the golden Glow in the General is darn near perfect and so is the newly-mudded heel.

(Cigar Sidebar: Sunday I smoked a Fuente Hemingway Short Story in a pleasing 35-minutes on the button. Two or three other stogie puffers said they always smoked them in 10-15 minutes so I minded the clock. I couldn't have done that without overheating the vitola and ruining what gentle taste these stick offer.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.