How long can I leave a half smoked pipe for?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by sonsw87, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

Either for cob or briar. How long can I leave a half smoked pipe for and come back to it? Is it a bad idea to leave the tobacco in the pipe for too long?

2. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I would say no more than a day. After that, it all sits and gets really gnarly and nasty! Also, add a pinch of fresh to the mix

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

A day is ok. I haven't left any longer than that. If you do leave it longer, let us know what you think..

4. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

The longest I've left a half unsmoked pipe( yeah that's right, I said UNsmoked, I'm an optimist!) is for about 3 hours, but I would think it kinda depends on the tobacco too.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

On several occasions I've left a pipe for over a week and then come back and finished it. It's surprisingly not that bad. The first few puffs are a little stale but once it's warmed back up it's usually fine. I wouldn't recommend it as a normal practice, though. And I wouldn't do it with an aro, either.

6. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

yep; that about the way i find it also--if it hasn't got fungus growin' on it, it's still ok in my book--

Dutchking22 likes this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

A long time . I had a pipe in a drawer for God knows how long [ months ] ... lit it up and it was good enough

ol gto likes this.
  8. maxflatus

maxflatus Member

Until you come back and finish it ;-)

Albert, ol gto and ruffinogold like this.
  9. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I left a pipe for a weekend half full then lit it up on the monday. The 1st few puffs were bitter then the taste came back.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Plenty of folks light a pipe and smoke it halfway only to put it down and then start another pipe. They come back to the first pipe a day or so later. Many tobaccos are boldly better (or different) after being partly smoked and then left for a few hours or even days. I've found a few half-smoked bowls in the car on Monday that got left on Friday... fired 'em up and they're always average-to-excellent.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi all!
    I tend to find VAs the best for just half-a-smoke-and then come back to it.
    To get rid of the stale fumes remove some of the old ashes and gently blow through the stem before relighting.:bing:

12. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I've only walked away for about an hour max, I miss it too much and can't wait for the second half:bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.