1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How long do you wait to buy?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Vaquero, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

How long do you wait to buy a pipe that you like? Are you an impulsive shopper, pulling out the credit card as soon as a pipe catches your eye? Or do you give it a day or two, to let the shape/finish marinate, to see if you really have to have it? I am trying to wait a week or two before buying, in order not to buy every new pipe that I'm attracted to! What about you guys? Be honest!

Raffxr7 likes this.
  2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

At this point I do a lot of "watching." I cruise Ebay all the time just looking, and if anything catches my eye I'll "watch" just to see how high it goes. There are still occasions where a pipe sells low enough that I can't help but buy it.

My local B&M has several pipes on my "I want it but can't afford it" list.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

If it's online I'll give it a day of scoping it out here and there. If it's at a store I just hold it and can tell right away.

4. muddler

muddler Active Member

I'm afraid I'm pretty impulsive. So I've ended up with a few "what were you thinking?" pipes. I think I'm getting better though. What I do on Ebay (which displays a rare dose of self discipline) though is to put in my final bid & not follow the pipe up beyond what I originally intended. That's saved me some embarrassment.

Coastal Bend and Stonewall like this.
  5. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I have slowed down a bit on my impulse buying. I have enough pipes now and enough knowledge of what I really want so I can be a little more discerning in what I buy. For a pipe to stay in my collection now it has to be really good (not necessarily expensive).
    I love browsing pipes online but have gotten better at the impulse buys since I stopped using credit to fund my PAD.

6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

In most cases I try to talk myself out of it for two or three days. I've been successful a time or two but I usually end up buying it.

It is probably in my best interest to not even look at pipes unless I have a specific need for a new one. Browsing just because I like them usually costs me money.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

It is tough, but I am trying to watch my habits also. To me it isn't about getting "deals" anymore, although paying less is always nice. However, the thing that has helped most has been knowing what I am looking for.

8. phinz

phinz Active Member

If there's a cob sitting in the basket that I like, I'll slap that cash down on the barrelhead. I'm impulsive like that.

LifeOfRiley, jdto and Old Codger like this.
  9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I can resist anything but temptation. I do try to wait a couple of weeks to be sure I really do want the pipe badly. Inevitably, if it is a Stanwell or Comoy I will succumb.

Vaquero likes this.
  10. E Mursed

E Mursed Member

Impulsive as a puppy right now....I'm a noob right?

But reading the forums has taught me the difference between sh*t and shine-ola.
    Patience is coming....SLOWLY....and I know what I really want now.
    Just need a bigger wallet...

PipeWife and Old Codger like this.
  11. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

My problem as of late, has been that there are 4 or 5 pipes in the same price range, same general style, finish, etc, and I can't choose which one out of them all. There are just little quirks that are setting them apart, and it makes it nearly impossible to decide!!

12. Elliottws

Elliottws Member

Super impulsive, but getting better. Now i watch the prices, or put in my max bid and walk away.

13. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I would like to believe I have enough pipes now to fully enjoy my pastime.

I would like to believe I have enough pipes now to fully enjoy my pastime.

: : : :.....

Stonewall and Old Codger like this.
  14. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I've been waiting since January to get a really nice pipe. Money's always tight, but I think I might be getting a nice Pete soon. Been subsisting on flea-market estates, Grabows and cobs for the most part since I started pipe smoking. All good pipes, but I'm getting to the point where I kinda want to branch out. We'll see though.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  15. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I have more pipes than I need so it's not like there's any real need for more. However there are times when I see a pipe that just really stands out and I don't wait to buy it. Only one mistake in the past few years. Sasquatch made a Bent Bulldog for someone here and if I'd seen it first it would have been gone in a heartbeat. I have plenty of Bent Bulldogs but that one was a spectacular standout. The parallel is the way people buy paintings. I don't know what it is that I want but when I see the right pipe, I know it.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I do (still on occasion) tend to impulse buy. Not so much any more. There are hundreds of pipes I see and want, but do I need them? No...

Am I still buying them. *sigh* Yes! I will break myself of it eventually. That may be my new years resolution. :bag:

A few meers, a few clays, a few cobs, a few briars. What more do you need, really. With increased taxes looming, it would be wise to place great emphysis on cellering tobacco, rather than buying pipes. This all makes sense to me of course; until I see another pipe I tell myself I cant live without.

I've been thinking of changing my membership status and selling a bunch off here on the forum. Everytime I go to seperate them from keepers to those I'll let go of, I just end up putting all the pipes into another box leaving the other empty. :shead:

ShilohHollow likes this.
  17. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I'm a very slow buyer. I typically eye pipes for so long someone else buys them. I wait at least a couple of weeks. One pipe I bought from first sight to checkout in less than 2 minutes was a Stanwell Golden Danish at smokingpipes.com. It had amazing grain for an $80 pipe and I had to have it.

18. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

For quite some time, years I suppose, I had blissfully been content with the pipes I had, did a regular rotation and rarely even thought about buying a new one. Then, a few months ago, it started. I bought a number of cobs, sent some pipes that had been stored off to Walker Briar Works for repair, bought a briar from Invicta Briar, ordered a meerschaum from Altinok and then ordered another briar from Invicta.

Hmmmm. Wait a second. All that activity coincides with about the time I joined this forum. :byg:

19. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

You've discovered the cause, that's one of the steps...

Coastal Bend likes this.
  20. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I've done some impulse buys, for sure, but a few of them have now moved on to other pipers. I have my eye on a few different pipes, but what I've resolved to do is wait a while and see if the burning urge to buy them goes away. If it sticks around for a month or two, then I'll do my best to get one. If not, then I'm sure I can live without it. In fact, I could probably live without the vast majority of the pipes I've acquired in the past year. There are 3 or 4 that I'd absolutely keep if push came to shove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.