1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How long do you wait to buy?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Vaquero, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I used to be an impulsive buyer, and I still am to a degree, but seeing pics of pipes instead of the actual pipe has calmed me down somewhat. Internet buying has probably saved me some bucks, as I've talked myself out of quite a few pipes.

2. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Depends on the pipe. How much do I like it and how good a price it has attached to it. If I see a gorgeous new pipe of one of the few brands I smoke, and it is priced way below what it should cost, I grab it immediately before someone else snatches it. If it is priced as expected but I really like it I usually wait a few days to think about it.

3. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I alway's think 4 or 5 times before buying anything. And I usually talk myself out of the purchase. Every now and then I will see a pipe I really like on Ebay and I will put in a low ball bid. I am usually out bid, but the last time I did it I was pleasantly surprised. If it is something I have been saving my money for, I will act faster on it.

4. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I got pretty impulsive on eBay about a year ago, with mixed results. The best thing that happened was that I got really lucky in some antique stores where I found some very good pipes at great prices. That not only helped me round out my collection with some great pieces, but it also set the bar pretty high for what I'm willing to pay for in the future. At this point, I can't see me ever paying full retail for a pipe.

That said, when I come across a deal that meets that threshold, I snap it up and don't look back. I've missed out on what were likely some good pipes by being hesitant and "letting things marinate." Those bother me more than the duds that I did buy.

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

If its at a B&M I try not to buy for a day or two..... actually I try not to buy it at all, but only last one or two days. Flea markets I rarely can pass one up, unless I dont have the cash to buy ALL of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.