How long?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by cityhick, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cityhick

cityhick Member

I have a MM corn cob and was wondering how long should a bowl take to smoke. It takes me about twenty minutes to smoke and I was wondering if this is normal or am i smoking to fast......Thanks .............Mike

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

What sized cob? Legend, Country Gentleman, General?

3. cityhick

cityhick Member

country gentleman

4. RTOdhner

I've got mine (MM CG) to where I can smoke on it for about 35 or 40 minutes. It will take you a little smoke time to get the cadence that works for you, but that comes with more smoking. I know some guys who claim to get almost an hour off a CG, and seeing as I have doubled the length of time I get from my CG in just a few months or so I think 45 minutes to an hour is doable.

A lot of it also has to do with the tobacco you smoke, since some blends smoke faster than others. Frinstance, if I smoke Carter Hall in my CG, it goes pretty fast. However, when I smoke MacB Mixture Flake in the same pipe it goes much slower. When I smoke GH #7 Broken Flake in my MM Spool, I get almost 45 minutes off it. Then, again, I'm a notorious sipper so I smoke slow anyway.

Cobs are great pipes for building up a proper smoke speed and cadence, since they can really heat up on you if you smoke them too fast. If you burn your hand when you hold the bowl as you smoke it, then you are smoking too fast. At proper speed, the bowl should get warm but not hot. If the bowl gets hot, then you know you're smoking too fast so slow it down some.

Then, again, if you're good to go with a 20 minute smoke and enjoy it, don't worry about it. However, it's a point of pride among most of us to get that 45 minute or longer smoke since with most pipe tobacco the slower your smoke, or sip, the better it tastes and smells. That slow smoke is great for the reading of thought pondering that often occurs when smoking a pipe.

Happy smoking,
    Roy

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

RTO, would packing style make a difference as well? Lately, I've been packing lighter, more airy in an attempt to make myself slow down a bit. Smoke it too fast, it gets really really hot, really fast, have to slow down kind of thing. Like a training exercise. Am I really doing anything or just wasting time with it?

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like Middletons Cherry Blend in a cob and the CG is my favorite cob . I doubt I get 20 minutes ... depends on the blend . Pop it fulla 1792 and it's double or more the Cherry .. in time . What are ya smokin ?

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Forgive me butting in, but I see that Roy has stepped out for a bit. I would think that packing a bowl looser would affect the length of time, as there's simply less tobacco to burn, but as you point out, it does get hotter that way, as do most fires that have an overabundance of oxygen. Packing too tight seems to raise the temperature as well, but in my experience it is also prone to snuffing out that way.

I usually get 45 minutes to an hour out if my CG, with folded and stuffed flakes taking the longest to smoke.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Cherry Blend does go fast. I get about 15 solid minutes in a Washington, so I'd guess 25-30 in the Gent.

9. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The time doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it, and the bowl doesn't get too hot. Too hot to hold to your cheek for 5 sec and it's too hot. Conventional wisdom does hold that slow puffing produces a more flavorful smoke though.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. cityhick

cityhick Member

Thanks everyone......right now i am smoking Boswells dutch treat and I am really enjoying it. Thats one of the reasons for my questions on time to smoke. I just dont want it to end so soon.....

11. RTOdhner

A tighter pack produces a longer smoke - but too tight of a pack provides a dissapointing smoke. It's all a matter of experiemntation so that you can find that nice balance of pipe, tobacco, pack, and length of smoke. You're not wasting your time, because that's how you come to really enjoy this fine hobby/art. The bottom line is that whatever gives you enjoyment - or even that rare moment of "pipe zen" - is all good, whether it works for the rest of us or not.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. RTOdhner

Carter Hall, Sir Walter, Granger, or just about any OTC type of smoke goes fast for me when I smoke them in my Washingtons, which is why I use that combination for my morning and evening commute smokes. It takes me 20 minutes to get to work in the morning, and about the same to get back home in the evening. A Washington full of OTC is a perfect smoke for such occassions. (The same applies to Stokkebye Natural, Natural Dutch Cavenidish, and Aromatic Dutch Slices).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.