1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How many blends...?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beammeuptothesky, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Greetings fellow pipe-smokers!

I have a random question that I am sure has been asked before but was not able to find any results in my search. So, please forgive me if I am being redundant :)

How many blends or open tins do you have in your rotation at any given time?

I am not referring to bulk tobaccos or tins that have been placed in the cellar for storage or aging -- only tobaccos that you take from regularly and are opened regularly.

I have about 12-14 open tins or jarred bulk in my rotation that I take from regularly and was curious about what other pipe smokers thought about this subject.

Thank you and have a great day! :sh:

~Aaron

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Anywhere between 30 and 40.

I have a lot of moods. :D

FlatbushPaul and Motard like this.
  3. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Indeed you do!

This makes me feel much better because I was feeling guilty about wanting to open this tin of Blackwoods Flake that I have sitting here. ;)

~Aaron

albot9 likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ever have too much sex? Me, neither!

Too much of a good thing is a good thing! ;)

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

Hahaha!

I probably have 120ish blends, I've smoked a tin of each one, the rest are sealed and cellared.

I try not to open anymore tins, I'm trying to finish what is open.

FlatbushPaul and Motard like this.
  6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Money's pretty tight for me right now, I have 4 open cans, (2 of which I got for Christmas), and 1 tin hiding in my safe for the future, (which I got for my birthday), for a total of 5. No cellar as of yet but I do have some Mason jars screaming for bacca! ;)

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Right now I have a jar of Velvet, a jar of Presbyterian Mixture, a jar of Best Brown #2, and a jar of 10 Russians sitting out for my regular smoking enjoyment. I've also got a jar of Irish Oak sitting out for St. Paddy's Day. Then there's the never ending pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh that I have going. Then I probably have 30 or so sample jars containing different blends that I nibble on.

8. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

As of this moment I have 12 different blends open that I smoke on a regular basis.

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have about 8-10 that I smoke on a regular basis, Beale.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My first hunch was 4 or 5, upon further review, probably 20.

albot9 likes this.
  11. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have 60 - 70 8 oz. jars open at any one time. They have been opened and closed for 5 years or more with no detectable change in the tobacco. Variety is the spice of life.

12. Albert

Albert Active Member

you will be glad if you do, especially since BWF gets better and better once the tin is open and breathes a bit...:toast:

13. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Thanks, Guys, for all the responses! The little green man on my shoulder has been given the "go-ahead."

Well then, I had better get right on that!! Wouldn't want it to get too stuffy in there :beck: You know, flakes just need to be free!

~Aaron

albot9 likes this.
  14. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I thought I had only 3 tins and a tub of Walnut open but over the weekend I rediscovered an open container of HOW Briggs mixture and a tin of Liberty flake. :)

15. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

I have around 40 right now. I keep telling myself to not open anymore, but I don't listen. Its a sickness I tell ya.

dmkerr and Motard like this.
  16. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Open blends right now.. about 5
    There's another 3 that I dip into here and there..

17. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I have over 70 blends in rotation, anything being aged is in separate jars or tins hidden from view.

I have over a dozen blends I have yet to open. Only reason I haven't opened those yet is because I am out of half pint jars, the wide mouths are hard to find!

Motard and dwaugh like this.
  18. kb7get

kb7get Member

Up to 8 now. Before I joined the forum I only had 3 for years. Smokers pride Black Cav, whisky and 1# regular smoker friendly. Also I would flop between the smokers pride and smoker friendly 12oz bags of BC and Whisky. Did not notice any real dif. between them. I have now added CH, SWR, Granger and Kentucky Club Mild since I finally got around to ordering online and got some of my old favs. from the past. Even through learning here about the blends in the local stores I checked and and found one of theirs was really Lane 1-Q so picked up 4oz. to try out. I would be a shoe-in for a test like RTOdhner just did. For years I would only smoke 1 or 2 pipes daily and the same tobacco in them for the time it would take to use that 12/16oz. up then either dump the same or move to one of the 3 flavors I had in stock into the tobacco jar.

Darkly and dwaugh like this.
  19. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I have 7 or 8 at a time. In theory I'm supposed to be cellaring some of it.. Oh well smoke it if you got it!!

20. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I've probably got about 30 open. Some of them I have written off as not being for me so they will probably remain open for quite some time as I aquire new blends to sample.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.