1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Bowls?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coastal Bend, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

:puffy: Some blends I've liked right away. Some blends, I didn't like at all, untill I tried them again. I've never given up after just one bowl. I even tried Mixture No. 79 twice, before I through it away. That being said, I don't have an all day every day tobacco, nor do I want one. I've got too many different blends in my cellar for that, and way too many blends yet to try!

surlysoul and Coastal Bend like this.
  2. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

I can tell almost immediately, but I always try to give it a full 2oz, that way if Im smoking it in a ghosted pipe then by the end of the 2oz Im tasting that blend and not the ghost, if it bites then I rarely finish that bowl and store it for a while.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

My experience has varied from blend to blend, and even with experience. After I learned to prepare tobacco and improved my overall smoking habits, its been easier to improve flavor out of a blend. I wouldn't say that my opinion of a blend has a set number of bowls, but my purchasing more of it does. If a blend doesn't give a consistent 8 - 10 on a 1 - 10 scale, I wont buy it again. Consistent, as in an entire 50g tin or at least 2 oz of bulk.

I've smoked a bowl, loved it, and it remained consistently superb (Hamborger Veermaster, Stonehaven, etc)
    I've smoked a bowl, loved it, and then the flavor seemed to fall off after a few bowls (C&D Interlude)
    I've had blends that I didn't care for, then came back to them a year or two later and love it (most Burleys)
    I've opened a tin, thought a bowl was so-so, then smoked it in a different pipe and loved it (C&D Briar Fox)
    I've had blends that the more I smoked it, the more I liked it (SG Golden Glow & Mac Baren Golden Extra)
    There have been tobaccos that were "meh" in a small bowl, and fabulous in a big bowl (Peterson Irish Oak)
    I could go on... :beck:

What I did learn was, if you don't care for a tobacco, don't ditch it. Jar it up, and come back to it in 6 months or a year. Tastes change, and you might love it at some other point in your experience. Then again, if you absolutely hate it, you probably won't ever like it. Trade that sucker off. ;)

Coastal Bend likes this.
  4. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

Ive been thinking about this one, and I would also like to add, not only is it how many bowls but also how quickly am I getting through that 2oz, and how often do I find myself smoking it over my other regular smokes, I try to find tobacco that fits in with what Im doing during the day, or how relaxing is it etc these are also the things I look for in a smoke, hope Im not the only one that does this!

surlysoul and Coastal Bend like this.
  5. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I've dismissed one blend after about 3 puffs, that being the evil weed named Half & Half, and I've embraced one in just as short of time, that being Carter Hall. Most others I give more time to, and usually after a few bowls I decide whether to re-purchase or chalk up to experience.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I too find myself in the variable crowd here. There are some blends I've smoked that I immediately love in every aspect thereof, and others I've had to be patient with, revisiting over and over. Strangely enough, there are some blends that have had that immediate impression with me that seem to transition or change from pipe to pipe. That's what truly boggles me; and continues to do so. I had this happen just yesterday with Blackpool.

It seems as if it changes or takes on different characteristics from pipe to pipe.

I've started a journal to try and keep a record of my discoveries with pipe smoking. One worthy of mention, and certainly applicable here, is which pipe really brings the most out of a specific blend. Sometimes I just get lucky from jump street, sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation. And sometimes, regardless of how many bowls I've smoked, or the various pipes I've smoked them from, it just doesn't happen. It's rare, but it does occur.

BradNTX and surlysoul like this.
  7. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

I usually try to smoke a full 2oz before I decide, but there have been a couple I disliked enough to through away and some that I knew I loved immediately. I think tobaccos need to be tried in different pipes, but I haven't yet had a bad tobacco taste good in a different pipe. However, I have had a tobacco that seemed average become one of my favorites with a different pipe.

BradNTX likes this.
  8. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I have found in my very limited experience that my own personal mood/attitude/perspective at the time of that smoke can play a factor. I had a blend just a few weeks ago that I smoked one afternoon, on a particularly good day, that I thoroughly enjoyed! I revisited it a few days later, after having a kind of rough day, and was almost nauseated by it. I have smoked it since and enjoyed it again. Nothing changed about the tobacco or the pipe (same pipe every time) but my perspective changed, affecting how I viewed that tobacco. That being said, my favorite blend has never failed me, regardless of my attitude. I try not to write a blend off until I feel I've given it a fair shot, which might look a little different each time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.