How many pipes/blends to travel with?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Raffxr7, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Monday. I doubt I can find any place to restock if I run out of tobacco... so I will be bringing a backup bag of tobacco but I can't make my mind up on the others...
    How many cops, meers, and briars to bring? It's a windy area, so I am leery on taking my favorite briars...
    3 meers 4 cobs and about 14 briars.
    I figured two meers two cobs and can't make the call on briars. Or number of blends.

Anybody got suggestions?

2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Bring what you think you'll use, then double it. I'm gonna be gone four days this week, but I'm taking enough pipe and snuff gear for a week.

Preacher1611 and Professor like this.
  3. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

I'd take all 4 cobs and leave the meers at home. For briars, I'd bring a couple trusty beaters. Murphy runs more than just the army.

Johnny Dingo and Arkie like this.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I went for a two day trip a few months ago and took five pipes and six blends...enough to smoke at least five bowls of each blensd...and one was a full tin.

Plus 50g of snuff and two tins of snus.

One thing I don't do is run out of tobacco.

Professor and Johnny Dingo like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Normally I rotate my 17 pipes and let them rest after one use but when I travel I will smoke the same one 2 or 3 times a day. I would just take a few cobs.

SouthBound likes this.
  6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I would leave the cops at home. They don't take too kindly to being stuffed with tobacco and set alight...

SalopSt, Raffxr7, Old Ted and 4 others like this.
  7. PickingLeaves

PickingLeaves Member

If I was traveling, I'd take my cobs with a nice tobacco to go. I'd buy a OTC on the spot for the morning and everyday smoke.

8. muddler

muddler Active Member

I was in Mozambique on a two week fishing trip a few weeks ago. Very remote. I took 10 fishing pipes & half a dozen blends, mainly Va's. My fishing pipes are all briars. I also took a couple of spare lighters. Just as well. Two (!) gave up the ghost. So take what you think you'll need & double it.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I wouldn't take your favorites. I'd be afraid of dropping them, or crushing them while traveling. I'd take a couple cobs and then pick a couple of briars that are lookers.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I prefer to travel with a big cob or a meer (in a clamshell case). If I take a cob I take one tobacco; if I take the meer I may take two. Gives me a chance to focus on one thing.

11. Capt

Capt Active Member

When I go out of town, I take a Latakia pipe with two blends, a VaPer pipe with 2-3 blends, and an aro pipe with 1-2 aros for public smoking. Now, that is not including hunting trips. Then, I take at least 20 pipes and blends. Not that I smoke them all, but just in case I get a hankerin' for something, I will have it.

12. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I would just bring a Meer, I've been known to pick one up and stick with it for a month without touching another pipe. That and a couple different blends should see you through just fine. Plus wind won't really be an issue with it. (If you only bring one Meer, make sure you have plenty of pipe cleaners and paper towels)

13. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Each trip is different but I would just stick to take what you think you'll need then double it. As for pipes, depends on what you're doing. Myself, if I'm hunting or fishing or camping or hiking or something like that, I'll take cobs and a beater briar, (this does not always hold true, I've been known to go places with nice pipes). My clay and meers rarely leave the house.

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

:xd:........a man 'after my own heart'!

15. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Personally, I only own 1 pipe, so that answers that. Amount of tobacco, 1 pouch (1.5 - 2 oz.) will last me for about a week.

Professor and Old Ted like this.
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

[​IMG]I always bring this . I'll put three blends in . I travel about half the year and 4 pipes and three blends seems to work very well . I normaly bring 3 decent work pipes and one nicer one for going out . I'll bring a Burley Type Blend , like MB GE , for all day smokin , an Aro for when I'm going out and a stellar blend for if I have some mello down time . A travel pouch works great cause theres a place to put all the stuff ... Lighter , cleaners , tampers etc ..

17. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I grabbed two cobs two briars and one meer... just because I cannot make my mind up. I grabbed my lat samples a near full bag of black cavendish (12 oz) and an assortment of OTCs. Being that I am currently 30+ miles from a town that has a smoke shop, walmart, etc, I went on the safe side. The excessive quantity of BC is my guarantee I won´t run out no matter what. :) I only grabbed my tougher meer, I wasn´t sure if it would be OK to smoke it in a 30 mph breeze with ¨wind¨ being considered over 45 mph here. Western Kansas is gorgeous, but windy. I also brought every PC and bowl size I could get into the mix shy of an XL.

I did, however, leave the cops where they were.

Thanks for the advice guys!

buistd likes this.
  18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Out of town at the mo, and
    I only brought the necessities:
    One tamper, one lighter, one
    Falcon, and a pouch of St. B.
    I don't plan on smoking much.
    :(

19. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I didn't clarify, I usually keep 2 pouches on hand, Carter Hall and something else. This week its Captain Black in the white pouch.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  20. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

CB White is good stuff Smokey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.