1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CupofEarlGrey, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Hey there fellow pipe smokers! I picked up pipe smoking as a hobby a few months ago, and I love it, it's become my new favourite hobby. I've accumulated a collection of four pipes so far; a Boswell Wizard, a Boswell Freehand, a BC Calabash, and a Meerschaum Corn Cob. Nothing special, and not too many. My question for you is, how many pipes do you have and how do you display them. I just want a good idea of how many pipes is a good number. Also, for display ideas I was thinking a rack for my six favourites and a case for the rest.
  2. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Feb 21, 2010
    You can never have enough pipes, well at least I cant.

A good number as I was told was enough to allow a pipe after a good days smoke a weeks rest, now thats a debate for another post but I usually stick to that.

I have, at the moment, 16 . Others on here have WELL over One Hundred or so

4 Boswell Freehands

2 Petersons

3 Savinellis

1 Mario Grandi

1 Sas ( its on the way )

1 CAO Meerschaum

2 Cobs that are still in smoking condition

2 Basket Pipes from the early days

Thats all I can think of on hand.

As far as displaying them goes im really hoping for a nice wall mount stand or one of those nice peterson stands but I lack the money or carpentry skills to make or buy one.
  3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I've got 28 total, 21 of which are in my regular rotation. 19 are in pipe racks or on stands and three are in an unused ashtray. My one treasured meer is kept in its case.
  4. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Ah, another Boswell fan. I live in the same town the Boswell shop is, I actually talk with J.M daily, he's a real nice guy. But that seems like a good rule of thumb, thank you!
  5. pottsy

pottsy Member

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. I see several different types of pipe smokers.

1. New guys, just starting out, 1 pipe to a couple of pipes.
    2. Guys with a nice size collection, say 20+ pipes or so.
    3. Guys who live by "He who dies with the most pipes wins"

Just pick a path and go for it.
    SmokingGun likes this.
  6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

May 2, 2010
    I refuse to believe there can be "too many" pipes. Pipes are like a real man's pokemon: you gotta catch 'em all!
    SmokingGun likes this.
  7. freestoke

freestoke Member

Nov 28, 2010
    My rotation:

Alfa Litewate
    Savinelli Anni 120
    Sasieni 4Dot (Modern)
    Sasieni Two Dot (pre-Transition)
    Sasieni Four Dot (pre-Transition)
    Sasieni Mayfair (pre-Transition, but I bought it new!)
    Peterson Flame Grain second (now better with a pipe mud fill!)
    Bari Dana

And three cobs on the way!

JUST enough! I tend to smoke most of them in a day, once each.

I'd like to add the entire pre-Transition catalog of Sasieni Four Dots, just as soon as I hit the lottery.
  8. Hothog

Hothog Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Good question. After a longgg break I've taken up the hobby again and enjoying more than before. There will always be a pipe that you don't have and have to get. I don't have a Dunhill yet. Actually a Bulldog shape Dunhill. I've bought pipes that I think are close but if I add them up I coulda got a Dunhill.
  9. Cobra

Cobra Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I've got probably between 30 and 35, and that's after forty years of pipe smoking. None fancy, all rusticated, Stanwell, Peterson and Savinelli make up most of the list and various Italian makes the rest of the list. Since joining the forum and I found out there was such a thing as custom pipe makers, I've had two made for me from forum makers and been very happy with the results. I will probably keep the same number total but will probably replace the ones I don't smoke much with customs from now on.

I'm the worst one to ask about displaying my pipes, because I don't. I have an old 30"x60" office desk that my computer sits on, and tobacco goes in the left drawer and pipes and cleaners go in the right drawer.
  10. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Aug 12, 2010
    But then you'd only have one pipe (maybe). Surely you have room for more than one pipe, right? :)
  11. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

Aug 14, 2010
    +1! I totally agree, there are so many i want.

To answer your question. I think the best "starting" rotation is 7 pipes one for each day, this allows a good smoke once a day every day. On the downside if you want more than a bowl a day you have to cut into other days pipes; however some think a week is too excessive of a rest time (depends on school of thought)

*The way i see it is that there are no rules. Smoke whatever and whenever as long as you don't notice a problem with tastes, gurgle and wetness.
  12. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I'd shoot for at least half a dozen depending on what kind of smoker you are. A good newbie rotation for someone who smokes "everything" would be three pipes you enjoy...one for aromatics, one for latakia blends, and one for neutral/natural stuff...plus a handful of cobs or decent-smoking basket pipes for trying new things, carrying around worry-free, or sharing with a visitor who is intrigued by the hobby.
  13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've been smoking pipes for 2 years and have 10 pipes. I plan to buy 2-3 per year until I get to 20 and will probably reduce purchases to "I have to have it" pipes. The pipes I have in rotation now are:

Wiley freehand
    Wiley big red sitter
    Bjarne bent dublin
    Neerup bent brandy glass
    Neerup bent pot
    Viprati bent egg
    Jan Pipes poker
    Full bent Meerschaum
    Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat w/black Walker Briarworks Forever Stem
    Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman w/green swirl Forever Stem

For 2011 I'm working on a Middle Earth series of pipes to go w/the 3 JFH tobacco blends I like.
  14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Jan 23, 2010
    Three pipes is one more than necessary. That doesn't stop us from acquiring more.
  15. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Some of these responses remind me of a joke we would ask each other when I was stationed in Honduras. Occasionally, we'd be off base and see a small pickup truck (like a Toyota or Nissan) just slap full of men going to/coming from work. No kidding - I bet there would be 15 - 20 men sitting in/hanging from the truck... We'd comment about how unsafe it looked and inevitably someone would ask how many men the driver of that truck thought he could fit... and someone would reply "one more." (it was learned that the driver was likely charging a few Lempera for the ride.)

Same is true for a pipe collection... it's not about how many you "need."
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    I think it depends . If it's a hobby you just got into I'd say go easy , but thats the kind of guy I am . If after a year youre still going strong then what the hell ya know . At one time I had over 200 pipes which I thought was to many . I mean if ya smoke one a day you wouldnt smoke half your pipes twice in a year . I'm down to 30 something and I still will bag a pipe but only for a certain [shape etc .. ] reason or mainly for a work pipe . However , if you had a thousand pipes and thats what you want ... thats very cool !
  17. Legend

Legend Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I made a rule for myself...1 pipe for each year of my age...hence I have 40 pipes. I get new pipes on Valentines Day, Father's Day, Birthday and Christmas. If a pipe will push me over my age/limit, one has to go. No more Estates for me...unless it's a Grabow that I don't have in my favorite shape. I have used money I made selling pipes I didn't smoke to get one that I wanted...always ending up with something better. When push comes to shove, if a pipe doesn't smoke like I expect it too, after all efforts have failed (opening airway, pipe mud, etc...)it needs to go.
  18. mpchem

mpchem Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I don't think there is such a thing as having too much of something you truly enjoy. I've been smoking a pipe for six months and have twelve pipes--a basket, Viking, six Savinellis, one Peterson, one Randy WIley, one Cavicchi, and one Dunhill. They're displayed on a round 18 pipe rack and I hope to fill it up soon. Part of the enjoyment is figuring out how to display/store your pipes and your tins/jars of tobacco.
  19. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    It's been difficult for me. I like to have my pipe racks full...then I'll fall in love with a new pipe. Now I need a new rack...which leaves me 6 or so short. So I'll buy more pipes...need "just" two more...but there's these three pipes that......<sigh>. :0laugh:
    I've thinned my collection...if you can call it that...to 15-20, then built it up to well over a hundred....many times. Have not hit that magic number yet, but I'm trying!
  20. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Dec 28, 2010
    I just returned to pipe smoking after leaving it for a bit. Also, just have branched out from aromatics to traditional blends. For a long time, I only had one pipe, but since I started smoking again, I bought another one.

As my taste in tobacco is growing dramatically (can't wait to smoke the English blends I just got in the mail) I know I'm going to have to have more pipes. Firstly because of possible ghosting on some blends and secondly because a pipe can only be smoked so many times a day until it starts to change the taste of the baccy and needs to dry out. When I get the moolah, I hope to have at least six to ten pipes in my rotation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.