How much do you smoke a week?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Butts, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malus Rex

Malus Rex Member

Given the erratic timing & frequency of my pipe time, I'd say 25-50g per week. But my most recent estate pipe showed up & was less of an Ashton and more Pipe-a-saurus Rex. I usually stick to smaller bowls, but this thing has it's own gravitational pull. So far I've lost a tin of Mac B' s HH Highland, 1/2 tin of Royal Tudor, & 3/4 tin of Black Ambrosia to it's clutches. So obviously, that average is going up.

Anyone seen my dog?

moosecop, NYblacksmith and Husayn like this.
  2. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

For me I'd have to guesstimate something a bit more than a pound a month. Now I buy two and a half pounds a month (give or take -- sometimes there are some tins included). I jar and work from storage. But, for over 10 years I had a "just in time" inventory approach -- with it arranged for a vendor to send a pound each month by subscription. Of course, about the third week I'd get concerned and call to have the next pound sent. :beck:

esteban likes this.
  3. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I think I smoke a lot, but I really only smoke in the evenings, and then it's one bowl after another. I would say I go through an ounce to an ounce and a half of tobacco per week. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't very much at all. Just enough for my lifestyle.

4. Bill Dawson

Bill Dawson Member

I smoke 3-4 bowls a day various tabacco.

5. jhelms

jhelms Active Member

a couple of ounces in a good week...on average that is.

6. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I smoke a bowl each evening if I'm lucky. Haven't been that lucky lately. Sinus problems are keeping me away.

7. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

I'm around 1/2 an ounce a week during winter and 3/4 an ounce in spring fall and summer per a week

8. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I used to smoke mainly my larger pipes...now it's the regular sized ones. As a result, I go through far less tobacco each week.

9. jshogan2

jshogan2 Sales Account

Apparently not much! So little that I pretty much have to respond in terms of bowls (sorry)... I average two to three bowls a week these days. I try to make time once a week to smoke one of my larger pipes, but usually I enjoy my XX or XXX Ashtons.

Nima Parsa likes this.
  10. inkybat

inkybat Active Member

I smoked a bit more than 50 grams this week but that's a lot for me, in Toronto I'll smoke at most 3 bowls a day.

So, smoking indoors I'll smoke roughly 50 grams a week but if I'm only smoking indoors I'll smoke about 3 bowls a day, which is much less.

11. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I smoke probably 6 - 10 bowls per week, this tends to go up in the Winter since it's freezing outside.

12. NYblacksmith

NYblacksmith Member

I'm with the OP on this one, an ounce to an ounce and a half per week. That's a couple of pipes a day on average and a far cry from the entire pack of cigarettes I smoked up until about ten months ago. I have always smoked a pipe at least once or twice a week but mostly cigarettes. Got to the point one day where I honestly just could not bring myself to smoke another cigarette and haven't since. That sudden and that complete, just done one day for good like that. Oddly I do not find I have replaced my cigarette habit with smoking a pipe more to fill the void. There is no void to fill. Smoking a pipe is a whole different ballgame and I am perfectly content with smoking once or twice a day, some days not at all.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  13. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

1-2 bowls a day with a day off roughly every 3 days.

14. browny

browny Member

I'm still addicted to the stinky sticks but slowly winning (to explain my love of nicotine, and no I don't inhale with the pipe hence it's helping)
    This weekend just gone was great as I only had 1 cig each day and 6 pipes each day.
    This was in a MM Legend, MM Hardwood, my beater pipe that has a similar bowl size to the legend, a Meer' lined Morris that's slightly smaller bowled than the legend and both evenings rounded out with my Barling that's about 1.25 times the bowl of the legend. This would be perhaps 5 a day on work days when I can finally make it purely pipes.

Going by Jayson's scaling and saying 5 on work days and 6 on weekends, that puts me at about 7.5g work days and about 9g on days off so my normal weekly gram-age would be around 55g.....it sounds a little bad now I'm adding it up.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  15. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

FWIW, the pipe smoking competitions usually give you 3 g of tobacco and a cob. 3 g a bowl seems to correspond to my reality. A 50 g tin should have about 16 or 17 bowls at this rate. I often have a bulk I am smoking as my regular smoke, and I will have one bowl a day of something like Presbyterian Mixture. That tin will last me two weeks - maybe a little more.

Using 3 g a bowl, 6 oz of tobacco a week is about 8 bowls a day. Does that sound about right UncleVint?

16. craig

craig Active Member

Im still smoking the same pouch of condor i got in september so not that much...

17. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith Well-Known Member

Too much, probably.

18. willie

willie Member

I am going through around 100-150grms per week still haven't figured out how many bowls a day that is. does anybody have any ideas I am smoking a falcon pipe and yesterday I just got a Peterson dongle pipe though it has a smallish bowl on it compared to the falcon

19. rsuninv

rsuninv Member

I am right at 4-6 oz per week depending on travel. I have gone through 8 oz in a week on long travel weeks. Smoking in my truck is the best way to pass the miles.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  20. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

FWIW, I got a .1 g scale. It seemed like a nice thing to have, and so I decided to test this. I weighed a Peterson African meer Dublin empty and then after loading it with some rubbed out Wessex Gold Brick. It was 3.4 g of tobacco.

browny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.