1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

how much do you spend on tobacco in a year?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Twan013, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twan013

Twan013 Member

OK, so I just went through P&C's tobaccos that I have heard people mention on here, youtube, and other sources, wrote down every blend i might enjoy (ones that I want to try), added them all up and came up with a $400 dollar order. This list consists of tins, bulks, and their sampler packages. that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but i think it would be more than enough to last me a whole year. that is IF I smoke it all. I'm sure there is some that i could try and not like, so i'd trade them off for something i do like.

Anyway, it got me to thinking, how much do you guys spend on pipe tobacco alone, not cigars or cigarettes, not chewing tobacco... strictly pipe tobacco. Also, how much on pipes? its crazy to me to read about you guys not thinking twice about dropping a few hundred on a pipe, then turning around a week later for another hundred dollar pipe or tobacco order.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Your $400/yr, broken down comes to only $100/every three months, little over $1/day. That's not bad at all.

Depending on how much you smoke, and what you smoke, that can be +/- on that $1. Not bad at all.

I've decided to make no more than one TAD purchase / month and roughly ~$100-$150/month, give or take, free shipping as the incentive here. This is for an "online" order. Recently over the past 6-7 months where I went into "Full ON TAD", to build up a cellar to where I'm comfortable with it.........I probably spent close to $3,500-$4,000 on just toby. Looks out of control initially but it needed to be done. IMO. The $100-$150/month estimate gives me plenty to smoke and a bit to stash away. What I pick up at local B&Ms is not included in the $100-$150/month I'm going to try to limit myself to. It can definitely get totally out of hand if no mental (or physical) restraints are assigned.

I'll see how it goes in my case because it's kind of difficult to "not jump" when you see something that you'd have "jumped" last week/month for. One of the reasons I went into full scale TAD was I was in a full scale PAD mode just prior. Not really paying attention to what was going on in the toby markets, just happily cruising along scoring pipes (all types, cobs, meers, and briars). I'm trying to convert my bro who's been smoking cigs since his early teens by offering him some very nice pipes and great toby for free only if he'd take them and use them to help him cut down if not stop cigs. He's my older bro, and he's heavy (a bit overweight) so it's in his best interest to do so. Anyway, now, I'm back in the PAD mode (obviously) and I'm at present, "idle" in TAD. I'd much rather be in PAD, it's a bunch funner viewing pipage for sure! Yeah, I'm self diagnosed as "Bi-Polar PAD&TAD"! :startle:

I smoke anywhere from 3-5 bowls/day and my max was around 8 in one day. Sometimes the bowls are big'uns so it sort of grays the count and toby consumption. So, estimating toby volume consumption, I'd say I go through 3oz/week max. That consumption estimate falls right in line with what I'm allotting myself as a monthly TAD Budget.

I'm allowing myself the freedom to exceed my limits when SG/ET/DH hit the market again. I've never been into DH and what I did smoke was very little. Recently, I gave 965 a try and loved it! So, I'll be including some DH test tins to see if it's for me. The 965 "match" was outstanding and I was planning on ordering more but since the news about DH being distributed by CAO in USA, I can wait to get the new "real deal". May just get some of the bulk "Match" just for grins. As for SG and ET, only bulks. No tinnage.........bulk is the way to go since I've got some empty jars left over from my TAD Tornado that came through this house recently! The toby market is ever changing. I plan to change along with it rather than get stuck in PAD forever......me thinks (me hopes)!

:geek:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Too much but $150-200 a month is about right. On pipes, I am an estate pipe buyer and seller so who knows but several hundred a month for keeps.

4. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I started back up with the pipe in March of this year after a 35 year layoff. I've spent around $400.00 on the 12.5 lbs. of tobacco in my cellar. Based on how much I'm smoking, this should last 1.5 years. I plan on increasing my cellar inventory over the next few months. Along with bullets, brass and primers, I like tobacco as a "store of value" for the future and would rather own these items than gold. Reloading components and tobacco will always be under attack and regulations and taxes certainly won't decrease on any of those items in the future IMO.

I've spent $225.00 on the 10 pipes in my collection: 5 briars (mostly "estate" pipes from ebay), 2 meers and three MM cobs. Any additions to my collection will probably be cobs as they seem to smoke the best for me and you can't beat the price. There's a lot of good looking briars and meers out there that I sure like the looks of but I figure my money would be best if "invested" in pipe tobacco for now.

WyoBob

5. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Since I started smoking more regularly lately I will let you know at the end of the year. However, to date I've spent about $300 on tobacco and that should last me until the end of the year. But we all know the dilemma of TAD.

6. Stoked

Stoked Member

I've averaged about $50 a year for many years. Then I joined this forum. So far this year I've spent over $300 and should come in at the $400 mark this year. I hate this place :thumbsu:

[​IMG]
    I smoke about a gram a minute.

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

$300-$400 sounds about right, but I don't smoke it all. I don't smoke too much and I have periods where I put down the pipe for a few weeks or something, so I don't consume it at a constant rate but I do purchase it at a constant rate. Like most fellas I'm trying to build a cellar that will last me a lifetime.

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Since I've started, I've spent maybe $200 on tobacco. So $400 a year is about right. Now that I've sampled a ton, my next money sink will be in cellaring the good stuff. And sampling more. And cellaring the good stuff from that. And... well, you get it.

Curse you TAD brought on by browsing PSF!

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

All you guyz are gonna end up thanking PSF for forcing you to start your cellars. Prices won't get cheaper. They may go up drastically but for now, they steadily go up year to year at or greater than the inflation rate. It's a demand commodity. Most pipers "gotta have it", the retailers know it too. You are at their mercy. If the laws change to where it's taxed at the proposed whopping 775% increase/lb, you'll be treating Woody and the Mods (still think that'd be a good name for a Punk Rock band :punk: ) to a nice steak or prime rib dinner! Seriously. I like my money but I don't like paying stoopid prices for something I could've bought a year ago for much less.

Go forward! Cellar!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

10. pottsy

pottsy Member

I have quite enough to last me a while, at the rate I am smoking it. Been to damn hot to stay outside long enough to really smoke much, and I can't smoke inside currently. I have probably spent less than $150 at this point on tobacco.

11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I probably have been buying $100-150 per month on average. Some months twice that, some months none. I typically place one order a month and if something hard to get comes in that I want to try then I might order 2 times in a month.

I don't smoke near that much. I am putting whole bunch aside for later.

12. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

I thought about how much I spend and realized that I really don't want to think about it... :velho:

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

At least $100 per month. Once the Dunhill blends are back that will easily be a grand in and of itself :whistle: Multiple 5# bags of EMP

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

In 2009 I spent probably $150 on tobacco. I smoke about 4-6 bowls per week or usually one per day. This year... I started out with ordering :

4 tins of Dan Tobacco- Hamborger Veermaster $52
    1 lb Yorkshire bulk blend $33
    1 lb Blue Ribbon bulk blend $34
    TAD July order (see post) $93
    Snuck a tin of Peterson Irish Oak $15
    Snuck bulk samples TX Ranger/Gent's Choice $20
    Planned TAD August order $75
    Special Blend from The Tinderbox $54
    Planned TAD September order $75
    Planned TAD October order $75
    Total Toby 2010 $526

MM Diplomat $9
    Walker Stem $20
    Commissioned #1 $250
    Commissioned #2 $250
    Total 2010 pipage $529

I do not plan on buying any (OK much) toby in 2011 unless I come across something I can't live without. I will probably buy a couple of pipes next year; hoping to commission a couple from members. I have 8 pipes on my PAD list and will purchase as funds can be allocated w/o too much grief from the spousal unit until the list is completed. I probably (maybe) will hold off on any further pipe orders for a couple/few years after I've killed the PAD list.

15. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I've spent a grand total of $50 on tobacco this year...That was a purchase here. I've traded a few hundred dollars worth of cigars off on pipe tobacco in the past few months. I'm set on pipe tobacco and cigars for awhile. :whistle:

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Two pounds a month, could be $40us or $140us depending on what I pick that month.

17. atwageman

atwageman Member

Ive spent around $1800 this year on tobacco alone. Most all of it going into the cellar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.