how much is bulk at your shop?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by echopipe, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echopipe

echopipe New Member

Tobacco is not so cheap...Bulk at my closest shop is $4.00 and oz..Not that cheap to me. What do you guys pay? Even Captain black in a pouch is about $10.00. Tins are all different prices but for example MacBaren Navy mixture is $19.99. Virginia flake is 12.99. Honey and chocolate $16.00. and last I'll mention is Samuel Gawith perfection for $16.00. Does that sound about normal for you guys? I live in Los Angeles so I know.. BUT is this why you all are cellaring your tobacco's or am I just getting cheap in my old age? Are you cellaring because online sales might stop or because tobacco prices are getting more and more expensive due to taxes? I love tobacco and I will keep buying it of corse but...???

Just wondering...

happy smoking

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Expensive tobacco?....you should be so lucky!, over here all prices are very close - around UK £10 per 50grams.....USD $16 ? :thumbsd:

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The most prolific things in my cellar right now - are the mice! :eek:hyeah:
    ....all together!....aaaawwwww! :eek:hyeah:

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I cellar tobacco for many reason, not the least of which is the fact that tobacco will never again be as cheap as it is now... no matter how expensive it is now. It will also never again be as readily available as it is right now.

Things will only get worse and I'm preparing for the day when tobacco sales are outlawed completely.

5. Major

Major Member

Ha!! In my state I won't even buy toby. Case in Point..... OTC blends in 14oz containers cost $45. On the internet..... $26.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

You know, I have seen bulk (custom blends) at my local B&M's and have never priced them or bought them I guess I can start pricing them to let you know.

The reason(s) I have not bought their bulks yet are:
    1) I usually am shopping for tobacco's on my TAD list,
    2) There are so many bulks and only some stores give basic descriptions, but I would have no idea where to start or what to get!

I do wonder if they well sell their tobacco in smaller portions than an ounce so that I could just sample them. Maybe like a 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8th of an ounce.
    Do they? Hmmmmm

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

At the shop I worked at, we had a 2 oz minimum that was posted via sign. But if someone asked, I'd sell them any amount. And it was policy to allow someone to fill their bowl for free from any of our house blend jars.

Ask, and ye shall most likely receive. Not many B&M's can afford to stick to minimum sales policies when it might cost them future business.

8. Icepick

Icepick Member

The closest shop to me is a 45 minute drive and with tax the price per ounce is about 5 dollars. Never asked what price per ounce if I bought a pound, hopefully it would bring the price per ounce down.

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sorry if it depresses you, but about half what you're quoting. I'm talking McClelland and Stokkbye bulk. Tins are about half your cost, too.

10. atwageman

atwageman Member

My local B&M sells bulk at $4.50 to $6.50 per 2oz depending on the blend. Like anything the price gets better the more you buy.

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

A $10 pouch of CB? Holy balls, it's like $4 here

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

...maybe a reason for that... :whistle:

13. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

CBW is weirdly priced here ...Walmart is $6, 7-11 is $10.50 and Walgreens is $12.

PA is only at Walmart for $6 1.5oz

The only local B&Ms that sell bulk are $4 an oz for Altadis bulks.

Most other tins here run $9.95 - $14.95 (Sutliff, SG, Peterson)

14. Jay

Jay Active Member

Check the online prices, they will give you a fair market value and ultimately have larger selection than most B&M's in So Cal. At least that I am aware of.

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

My local grocery store raised their PA price per pouch to $2.39. I was pretty upset on that .20 cents hike, I tell you what.

16. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

All of a sudden I'm not feeling so bad about paying $3.01 with tax for a pouch of PA. CBW is something like 3.00 pre-tax at my local Low Bob's... which is unfortunately the only place to get pipe tobacco around here. I suppose I could pay the $4.00 for PA at Wal-Mart, but don't find the convenience to be worth the extra dollar.

17. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Ok, so I'm in B.C., Canada, aka, the most expensive place in North America to live (based on taxation) but here goes (note that these prices are also before 12% HST is factored in)...

Cigar ends (yes, my local B&M sells these as a bulk PT): $5/oz
    House bulks: $10/oz
    Brigham bulks: $12/oz
    OTC Pouches: $19.99 - $22.99/2oz
    Pouches (MacB, Brigham, etc): $24.99/2oz
    Tins: $27.99 - $34.99/2oz

18. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 Member

With those prices, do the ounces come with small tubes of KY?

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

The local B&M stocks a few of McClellands bulks and I asked about some 2015. They didn't have it...they could order it...BUT:
    1. McClelland will only ship them 5 pound bag increments. Unless I wanted the whole 5 pounds, they didn't want to be stuck with something they might not sell.
    2. The price to me would be their standard $3.75 per ounce (before sales tax). Sorry, no discount for quantity purchased. I can't justify paying double the price I would pay to have the tobacco shipped direct to my door.

I really would like to support the local business (especially if future internet sales are in jeopardy), but, I think the support will be just buying an over-priced tin once in a while.
    Dan

20. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Tobacco is probably subsidized in Montana. To keep people from switching to meth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.