1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

how much is bulk at your shop?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by echopipe, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    That's not bad.

Bulks at my local are between 26.99 and 32.99 for a 50 gr ziploc.
    In Calgary I have seen a pouch of MacB for 44.99 and a tin of Uni Flake for 49.99 before.

5 years ago prices were roughly half of that. Tobacco taxes account for almost all the increase in price.

Luckily we only have 5% federal tax on top of that since there is no provincial tax. It is of course illegal to ship tobacco betwwen provinces. I knew it was bad when british tobacco prices seemed reasonable to me.
  2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Jan 23, 2010
    I'm paying between $2.75 and $3.50 an ounce for bulk tobacco in New Orleans. The shop is about 50-50 bulk and tins. Tins average $10.00 apiece give or take. The most expensive ones I've seen are $25.00. Most of the bulk is no-name jars which are fine for my taste. They have about six jars on hand at any given time of blends they make themselves. There is also a selection of three or four kinds of hardtack flake that run $3.00-$3.50 an ounce. I've been making a habit of picking up an ounce of flake every visit, the last time was some bullseye coins. Good stuff.

I can't really complain about the prices after what I'm used to as a former cigarette smoker in the Northeast. Whenever the lady rings up my total I always have too much money in my hand for tobacco that will last me two or three weeks.

A pouch of CH at Walgreens costs me $3.00 after tax. I haven't tried any other OTCs but Walgreens seems to offer a ridiculous amount of "Smoker's Pride" packed in plastic bags for two bucks. I haven't been tempted.

3. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    If you go go to churchills, they'll let you fill your pip up and sample their bulk. They might frown upon you hanging out all day and smoking everything they offer though
  4. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

Jul 4, 2010
    the only viable B & M in this town has a price of $5.00 per oz. on bulks--one or two may be a bit higher--

recently they moved to a better location and have added several blends; now totaling possibly 8 to 10 selections; some lanes and possibly one or two mcclellands
  5. redskull13

redskull13 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I can vouche for that. I'm new to pipe smoking and when I looked at the prices for the first time, I couldn't believe it.
    I went to another store to make sure if it's true. Yup. It's true.
  6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I live 3 miles from a JR's. $2.50 per oz. Buy 5 oz get one free, Beale.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Member

Jan 14, 2011
    My local B&Ms let you buy bulk by any amount of weight or price. I've been known to buy £1 of a couple of types. No free samples yet.
  8. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Ontario Canada:

Typical pouch 50g=20-25$US depending on the Toby.

The only B&M in my city was selling one tin of Mac Baren Symphony 100g for 48$ US!!
    Compare that to 8.49$ at SP online.

Now let's see, do I buy 1 tin locally or 5 via the 'Net.. Hmmmmmm :money:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.