1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How much leaf in the jar?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jussto, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

May 5, 2011
    I was just jarring a couple of bulk purchases this afternoon, and was just wondering what most of you can fit into each size.

I always use wide mouth jars. 50g tins go into short 8 oz. jars, 100g to 4 oz in wide mouth pints.

Today I was putting up some larger quantity, and after easily putting 24 oz of LTF into a wide mouth quart, thought I was never going to cram a pound of Dan DaVinci into the same type jar. (I finally made it happen)

What quantities do you usually get into what size jars?
  2. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I get 50g tins into 1/2 pint jars and 100g in pints. I get wide mouths as well.
  3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    100 g in pints and half pound to a quart for me. I don't want to damage the leaf, and I want to leave a little air in the jar to it will age.
    kreinhard likes this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    When I bulk the pound ribbon or similar cuts I use the 3 step method like when packing the pipe. It seems to have worked for me. If it's the smaller tins, I just use what jars I have that will fit the tobacco - most of the time the jars would take more when I use the 50g or 100g tins.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    1:4 for loose cut/ribbon

1:2 for flake/coins/plug & twist.

You can press the leaf in the jar a bit if you wish....look at how packed solid some tinned leaf comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.