How much leaf in the jar?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jussto, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I was just jarring a couple of bulk purchases this afternoon, and was just wondering what most of you can fit into each size.

I always use wide mouth jars. 50g tins go into short 8 oz. jars, 100g to 4 oz in wide mouth pints.

Today I was putting up some larger quantity, and after easily putting 24 oz of LTF into a wide mouth quart, thought I was never going to cram a pound of Dan DaVinci into the same type jar. (I finally made it happen)

What quantities do you usually get into what size jars?

2. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I get 50g tins into 1/2 pint jars and 100g in pints. I get wide mouths as well.

3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

100 g in pints and half pound to a quart for me. I don't want to damage the leaf, and I want to leave a little air in the jar to it will age.

kreinhard likes this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

When I bulk the pound ribbon or similar cuts I use the 3 step method like when packing the pipe. It seems to have worked for me. If it's the smaller tins, I just use what jars I have that will fit the tobacco - most of the time the jars would take more when I use the 50g or 100g tins.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

1:4 for loose cut/ribbon

1:2 for flake/coins/plug & twist.

You can press the leaf in the jar a bit if you wish....look at how packed solid some tinned leaf comes.

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.