1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you smoke?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tyler Lad, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Well, I'm on my ninth day of smoking my first pipe and I love it!
    Things are really going quickly.. I went from having strange mouth sores, ear and headaches on my second day of smoking, to being able to smoke (and greatly enjoying!) 3 bowls a day.

So I've been wondering about how things will turn out so I have a few questions for all you guys:

1. How many bowls a day/week do you smoke; do you smoke anything else and for how long?

2. What did you smoke before you got into pipe smoking?

And most importantly:
    3. Do you need to smoke your pipe daily to prevent symptoms like headache, etc., and do you generally enhale?

Thanks guys!
  2. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Feb 6, 2012
    1. 3-5/day; a few cigs
    2. Cigs
    3. No and no.
  3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Aug 5, 2011
    1. 7-8/week, 3-4 cigars/week
    3. hell no
  4. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Sep 14, 2011
    1. 2-3/day; occasionally a cigar
    2. Cigars
    3. Nope. I've gone weeks at a time without lighting up anything.
  5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    1. 6+/Cigars/RYO/Snus
    2. Cigarettes
    3. No and Yes
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

Oct 7, 2011
    3-4 bowls a day, more on the weekends, occasional cigar, smoked cigarettes before pipes, and yes i get irritable if I go more than one day w/o smoking a pipe.
  7. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Mar 4, 2012
    1) 7/12 per week + a stick or 3
    2) Cigars
    3) No
  8. snowman

snowman Member

Jun 19, 2009
    From the time I get up till bed time. On average 6 to 10 bowls.

Cigarettes at one time.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    1 - 2 bowls per day
    Don't smoke anything else now
    Smoked cigars for 20+ years prior to pipes
    I don't smoke for nicotine, I smoke for flavor. Going without for a day, or even a week causes no physical side effects for me, but I do miss it. I prefer blends that arent super high in nic.
  10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 5, 2012
    I lie to health care providers. I'm not volunteerin' nuthin.
    Jammer, orto, Bear84 and 3 others like this.
  11. orto

orto Member

Jul 18, 2012
    1. I tend smoke from the time I get up till the time I go to sleep, seven days a week. So that's usually somewhere between 6–9 am till midnight–2 am. It varies. I'd venture to guess I enjoy between 6–15 bowls depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

2. I smoked cigars first. Tried my first puff as a boy, and started enjoying my own around age 15 or so. Around 22, had a lapse in judgment and began smoking cigarettes. Over time I found myself smoking a pack to a pack-and-a-half a day. Bought my first pipe at 24 (almost three years ago). I still love cigars, I just never buy 'em and only really enjoy them when I'm meeting my cigar enthusiast friends for drinks. They always offer, I always oblige. I still smoke cigarettes as well, but while I could smoke a pack in a day, it's usually to the tune of a few a week, depending on whether or not my wife has any (and if time constraints mean I can't enjoy my pipe). I've been reaching the point where I'm not smoking any cigarettes. I won't say I've quit, and I won't deny myself one if I want it, because I'm something of a hedonist at times. Not a club-goin', vodka-swillin', drug-shootin' hedonist. More of a Mark Twain-esque hedonist. Still, if I compare cigarettes to a pipe, there's just no appeal in them.

3. I couldn't answer because a day doesn't pass without smoking mine. I know there are pipe smokers who can go extended amounts of time without embracing the hobby, and their only side effects are missing the relaxation involved. Most of those people didn't come to pipes from cigarettes, in my experience. For me, I smoke tobacco with more nicotine so I reckon I probably would be a grumpy bastard if I took a day off.

And as far as inhaling, it isn't what pipe smoking's about, but it's also not a bad question. Cigars and pipes are meant to be tasted, not inhaled like cigarettes, but most non-smokers and new smokers still ask, and honestly, I think lots of cigar/pipe smokers do inhale to an extent. For me, I inhale pipe smoke during the char light and initial light, and if my pipe feels like it's close to going out, I might take a couple light puffs with my hand over the bowl, to stoke the fire, so to speak. Once it's burning smoothly again, I might inhale slightly. It's kind of a combination of taking the smoke into my mouth, blowing it out, and then catching the last little bit with a small inhale.

I certainly wouldn't recommend inhaling cigars or pipes like you're smoking a Marlboro. You'll turn fifty shades of grey (see what I did there?), you won't taste what you're supposed to be tasting, and your heart will fall out of your body. Or so I've heard.
    Tyler Lad likes this.
  12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Every time this gets asked (frequently!) comes the point that there are bowls, and BOWLS, and dmkerr size receptacles that you could hang in the porch filled with flowers!....so six bowls of my pipe may equate to three of yours!....just sayin!
    Jammer, orto, dwaugh and 1 other person like this.
  13. highstump

highstump Active Member

Jul 26, 2012
    1...Through the week 1 a day in the evening after dinner. Weekends 2-4 a day

3...No and No
  14. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Jul 17, 2012
    3-6 a day sometimes a cigarette or two. I'm trying to lay off the cancer sticks. A cigar a week as well.

Cigarettes started it all.

I dunno I don't go without it. But I've never even gotten headaches from no cigarettes when I didn't smoke. I would never inhale, snork all day though.
  15. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

Mar 21, 2012
    1. Four to ten bowls per day.
    2. Didn't smoke, dipping snuff user for20+ years
    3. I would go crazy, never intentionally inhale
  16. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for Human

Jul 21, 2012
    1. 1-3 a day
    2. Cigs
    3. no and once in a while.
  17. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    A-1. In all honesty, I'm pretty busy. That being said, I may get to smoke 3-5 bowls a week. If I'm left to my leisure, I'll smoke 2 bowls a day. And I smoke a bowl until I'm ready to give it a rest, or to the end, which can be 60-90 minutes depending on the pipe.

A-2. I've smoked cigarettes since 1979. Still do.

A-3. No, to part one of your question; and no, to part two as well. I do not inhale the pipe smoke.
  18. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    1. 0-2 bowls and 0-3 half Toscano cigars per day during the summer, otherwise 3-4 bowls and 0-1 halved cigars. I also use snuff.

2. I smoked cigs for 25 years, and have been smoking cigars and pipes for 20. Haven't touched a cig since March.

3. No, and hell no.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.