1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you switch smoking a certain blend / tin.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TheMadMan, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

May 9, 2012
    After reading a different thread about what your smoking today. I'm left wondering do most change what they smoke often? Or do most of you just smoke only a select few blends and stay with that 90% of the time if you really enjoy smoking it?
  2. jkstewart1

jkstewart1 Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I just smoke what I want when I feel like it. For the moment, I'm on a VA kick. So I kind of move through my VA's, but not on a rotation. Depends on how long I have to smoke, where I'll be doing it, and what I'll be doing while I have the pipe lit. Mood does factor in too. Long way to say - Just smoke what you want when you want it. Often when I've felt like smoking something in particular and then decided to smoke something else - it's been less than satisfactory. Sorry if this post sounds vague, but I hope it helps.
    Rewster66, Mington and Albert like this.
  3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    I usually have between 40 & 60 blends in "rotation"...smaller jars that hold 2 oz or so. I tend to pick the pipe that calls to me, then grab whatever blend strikes my fancy at the moment. When a jar empties, I either re-fill it or shift to a new blend that isn't in the rotation.

I'm really not an organized pipe smoker.........................
    Brian, Rewster66, Mington and 5 others like this.
  4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Typically I smoke more lat blends in the winter and more va in the summer, but it's still mostly whatever whenever
  5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I smoke a Burley blend (Sir Walter Raleigh) in the morning with coffee, then I switch to Virginias (McClelland) for the rest of the day/evening, I have several favorites I rotate between.

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'm with t-bear. I usually have 6-12 tins open that I have not jarred up. I bounce back and forth between them. Then as they get just about right in moisture I jar them up. I have about 40-50 different blends in jars that are subject to revisiting whenever the mood strikes. Some are jarred up for aging and some are just jarred up to keep them from drying out. I pull from those whenever the urge hits. Prime example is yesterday evening I had an urge for some MacB Roll Cake. I have not smoked that one in ages. So I pulled the jar out and had a bowl. I love variety and I sample at will.

Usually about the time I need to jar up my open tins due to moisture level I have another batch of tins rolling in. Some go into storage for aging and some, usually new to me blends, have to be sampled. I work on those until they need to be jarred up. Then they too are jarred up and go into the ready to be smoked section to be revisited when the mood strikes. That is, if I don't finish them. If I finish a blend before I get to the point of needing to jar it there is a high probability that it will be a blend I will want to buy a bunch of for future enjoyment after some aging.
    jkstewart1 and Darkly like this.
  7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    When you find a blend
    You don't like, stick it back
    in the cellar and revisit it
    at a later date. Tastes
    change with most around here.
    DocB, Mington and Darkly like this.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Until recently the only baccy available to me were OTCs and house blends from local B & Ms. Now I can order tins from e-tailers and I've gone nuts. There are dozens of blends I want to try so I'm working my way through about 20 tins with plans to try about 20 more. I've found several that I love and they are destined to be in my regular rotation if I can ever settle down.
    Rewster66 likes this.
  9. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Yep. The key is storage. If you have your stuff stored properly, you don't have to worry as much about a rotation. I'm still learning what I like, so I'm more interested in finding the next thing that just blows me away than I am in blend loyalty.
  10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Jun 5, 2010
    I rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row. Usually I'll change from smoke to smoke, pipes and tobaccos. What I will do though is separate English blends from most others. I normally won't smoke a Va right after a Lat blend. If I smoke an english blend and I wanna smoke again right after, I will smoke another Lat blend.
    Mington likes this.
  11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I rarely smoke the same tobacco twice in the same day. Life would get boring for me if I had to eat the same food every day. I need change so I don't burn out on smoking my pipes. I need variation. It's all good as long as it's got latakia in it.

Damaged beyond repair and liken' it!
    Ol Brokedik.
    Stormy, dwaugh and Mington like this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    I bought a bunch of those cute little 1 oz mason jars and I tap into them as my mood strikes. If I'm smoking a new-to-me tobacco, I usually smoke it 3x as often as anything else so I can get a feel for it.
    Stormy and Rewster66 like this.
  13. DocB

DocB Active Member

Jun 18, 2011
    What I want, when I want it. Just like the majority here. Like dmkerr, if I am smoking something that is new to me, I leave the tin out by my tobacco tray and will smoke it more often, just to determine whether I will purchase more at a later date.
    Rewster66 likes this.
  14. Brian

Brian Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I also rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row. I always want to try something different and change things up. The only blend I tend to smoke back-to-back is Carter Hall. It is more of a practical matter. I keep a small glass jar of it and a pipe in my backpack. If I end up with a 20 minutes or more waiting at the train station or for a bus, I sometimes light up.

I always like Carter Hall. The taste is dependable. It is super easy to light up and smoke. Most of all, it's cheap. If the bus or train rolls up and I am not done with the bowl, I don't feel so bad dumping it out.
  15. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I usually smoke a different blend in a different pipe each time. If i'm breaking in a new pipe i'll smoke it repeatedly with the same mild natural toby.
    Brian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.