1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jgstudios, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Hello all, I'm a noob to this forum as of today. Glad to find such a strong following. I'm 48 yrs old, and I've been smoking since I was a kid, but usually only in fall and winter, and only occasionally. I have several pipes, can't say what brands though, and I've only now just started experimenting with different tobaccos. I've been smoking the same stuff all these years from our local tobacconist, one of their blends called "Boss' Blend" which I would say is a solid aromatic. I have reached a point where I'm looking for great flavor, so the quest is on. Anyway, my main question is how old is too old when it comes to tobacco? I have a bag I bought a year or two ago that is totally dry. Can this be resurrected? As far as aging, what is the limit on that if you are jarring and storing for 0ptimum flavor? I read that Virginias and Burleys are the ideal tobaccos that take to aging well. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the market for more tobaccos, but noting too strong, I don't smoke that often, but I want to find something like...lets say...a great cup of coffee. You know, when you find it and that's the one...That's where I want to get with this. Thanks to all. JG
  2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Have you tried Prince Albert? In my opinion it's the standby of standbys. On this board, though, the idea of having a "the one" is heresy ;) Stick around here for a while and I'll bet you start enjoying your pipe more than ever.
    As far as age goes, you might be able to resuscitate your old tobacco. Try taking enough for a bowl and cupping/covering it in your hands and gently breathing in there a few times. Sometimes this alone is enough to restore some dry weed to an at least smokable state. Others will surely chime in with more advance rehydration techniques, otherwise try the search bar. Lots of good stuff has already been posted on here.
  3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Try Prince Albert or Carter Hall first, as a good, solid blend. Then try some from each camp: Virginia (McClelland 5100), Virginia-Perique (Escudo), Oriental (Davidoff Royalty), English (Presbyterian), Balkan (Dunhill Nightcap), Burley (PS Cube Cut). After a few years of trying, you'll be closer to knowing what you like.
  4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I don't know how old too old is. Some tobaccos improve, some not so much, but if it hasn't turned to dust or grown mold, you can get some pleasure out of just about any tobacco. As far as rehydrating your old stuff goes, try Kiowapipe's suggestion, or put it in a bowl with a damp rag covering it for a while. Once it's good to go, put it in a mason jar and if necessary throw a humidisk in there with it to keep it in smoking condition.

There's lots of stuff to try, and even if you find "the one" you don't have to be married to it. Variety is the spice of life. Enjoy!

Happy smoking! Glad to have you aboard.

Mark w4mms and Gary like this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Jun 16, 2011
    +1 What Herb said.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.