1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How should I store my tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cityhick, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I use 4 oz Mason jars for samples that people send me (trades, gifts, etc.), 8 oz Mason jars for most 50g tins, and 16 oz Mason Jars for 100g tins and 2 oz. bulk tobacco if that helps.

2. Gary

Gary Member

So I had a couple errands to run and stopped by WalMart to see if they had Mason jars. They didn't have the 4oz, so I bought 8oz. Seems 4oz of moist tobacco is a tight fit w/o serious packing! Of course I'm not sure the exact weight in these bags as I may have combined a couple into a single bag. May still look around for 40z, but I think these will do for now.

Thanks again.

3. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

Next time you stop in look for those 10oz'ers, you won't be sorry! :puffy:

4. Gary

Gary Member

Okay, another noob question. Do you transplant tins into jars also? I'm thinking the tin would be better for keeping them out of light (my office has a big window and at the moment all the tobacco is sitting on shelf on the wall of the office.) So decant the tins into jars or leave them in tins? I could put the tins/jars in a cabinet, but I rather enjoy looking at the spread...lol...

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

In the interest of addressing some of the concerns above (as well as :dh1: ) remember that with respect to preserving your tobacco, air is not your enemy. What you are hoping to avoid by jarring it (for the shorter term, anyway) is dissipation of moisture. Yes, a well sealed jar prevents air from entering, but moving air is just a vehicle on which moisture can travel out of your tobacco. There's no need to try and squeeze the excess air out by packing a jar really tight (though I don't think there's any harm in it, either), so having some air in there is no big thing. Of course, if you put 50g of tobacco in a 32 oz jar, you're increasing the amount of air into which the moisture can escape, thus effectively lowering the humidity inside the jar. Mington's guidelines hold true, and generally you need a jar of about four times the number of ounces as the tobacco you are putting in there, i.e. 2 oz in an 8 oz jar, etc. Flakes are more compact, and could theoretically fit into smaller jars, but you also have the problem of their dimensions, as you don't want to have to bust them up to fit, if possible.

Berg is right about baggies, they aren't airtight, and more importantly they don't stop moisture migration. You need about 4 mils of polyethylene to do that, and baggies are usually around 1 mil thick. It's probably not a problem for a week or two, but much longer than that and it starts to dry out. Depends, too, on whether the tobacco has a lot of humectant or not.

Tins aren't the worst things for storing tobacco, though some are better than others, but you should check them at least once a week and drop a humidisc or something similar in there if you need to. Nothing like coming back to a long forgotten tin to find that your tobacco is as dry as sawdust. Trust me on this one. Again, for the long term, jars are far less high maintenance.

I'm not going to get into the difference between storing unopened tins vs. jars for years at a time, as I have little experience to draw on. That has more to do with the effects of oxidation on tobacco, and if I understand correctly, defines the difference between aging a blend and simply cellaring it.

Herb

Gary likes this.
  6. Gary

Gary Member

Great answer, Herb. Thanks.

7. cityhick

cityhick Member

Is it alright to place the four or five small samples that I have in small ziplock bags into an empty coffe can with sealed lid or will they absorb off of each other or the coffee aroma left over??????????

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Not sure about the coffee aroma (mmm...) but I store sample baggies in a jar together. They're fine. Just don't throw a sample of Mixture 79 in there. It should be stored in a large plastic or metal container, about 32 gallons or so (away from any source of ignition), out behind the house until someone comes to pick it up. :whis:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.