1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How sweet is Penzance?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by afiaowo, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

The only Esoterica product I've had is And So to Bed. Is Penzance as sweet as that blend?

Thanks!

2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I've never had "And So to Bed" (but I want to try it oh so bad LOL, it's never in stock) but Penzance isn't that sweet. I actually don't think I pick up on a sweetness at all, perhaps a bit of floral from the Orientals, but no sweetness.

afiaowo likes this.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

No sweet for me either, but no floral either. I get smokey, earthy goodness, in a very smooth smoke.

4. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Not a lot of people do get the floral, I think me and one other person (maybe mikeinmaine) said they got it. I did Penzance as a blind review a few weeks ago.

5. BradNTX

I might have a little floral avoidance syndrome when it comes to smoking. :)

ruffinogold and N3M0 like this.
  6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Yea, there were a bunch of people who had no clue where I picked that up from. I actually guessed that it was a lakeland in my review ;)

7. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

One more question if you don't mind.

Where would you put it strength wise based on Frog Morton / Early Morning Pipe / Nightcap.

I really appreciate this. I did read reviews but need to find things out based on things I know.

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

How sweet is Penzance? It's like a kiss from a baby.

9. Albert

Albert Active Member

Anytime i get my hands on some I think 'F-ing Sweet!"

Monkey and JescoWhite like this.
  10. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

"Where would you put it strength wise based on Frog Morton / Early Morning Pipe / Nightcap."
    I would reverse to Nightcap/ Early Morning Pipe/ Frog Morton. Nightcap being strongest.
    You can't go wrong with that trio.

11. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I smoked Penzance for the first time tonight and thankfully, got no sweetness at all. For me, it was not very complex flavor wise and that is a good thing for me. Just straight earth and fire to my nose.

Strength wise, I would say it is middle of the road. Not the mildest blend but certainly not too strong to smoke all day. I'm addicted and need to find more!!! :startl:

N3M0 and afiaowo like this.
  12. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

How different is Penzance from Margate? I love Margate and it's much easier to get...

13. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I should've noted that my list was weak to strong. Where would you put Penzance in that list?

14. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I have a sample of Margate inbound so I can't answer this question yet. Will update my thoughts as soon as I experience them both.

JRobert likes this.
  15. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 to what Brad said.
    I never had And So To Bed either.

afiaowo likes this.
  16. BradNTX

It has a fuller flavor than all three. Is smoother than all three. Is less complex than the latter two.

Whole different ball park. Margate is a mottled ribbon cut with a mix of subtle, smokey, mildly sweet flavors. Penzance is a leathery dark flake of smokey, earthy smoothness. No similarities other than they both have lat.

Ol Brokedik and afiaowo like this.
  17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I categorize pipe tobacco blends as if they would be part of my meal.

Entree: Frog Morton on the Town, Margate, Deep Hollow, etc.

Main course: Penzance, etc.

Dessert: An aromatic, Anniversary Kake, etc.

Penzance is a main course smoke. It's the meat and potatoes of the meal without the window dressing. It's for serious eaters. For most of us we skip the entree and dessert and go straight for the main course.

BradNTX likes this.
  18. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've not had And So To Bed, but I will likely try it sometime soon, but Penzance is a blend I really like. I'm one of the wierdo's who gets the "floral" note from it, but it tastes more incense-like than flowery to me. I'm sure it comes from the Orientals, I pick that up from several of them, but it is a background flavor behind the creamy smokey main flavor. I've also never had Penzance so much as nip my tongue one bit, it's very cool smoking for me.

N3M0 and Mington like this.
  19. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Same here.

20. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Yea I get more of an incense floral note as apposed to a flowery one as well.

Jussto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.