How the pipe saves us, at least myself from bothersome times.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RichisonB, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

Hello friends,

I recently just got a job as a machinist for BNSF, the stipulation was that I had to move to Newton, Ks. So i eagerly said of course and started to pack; I put in my two weeks at my current position, promptly found a quaint little house to rent, tuned up my truck and said goodbye to my loved ones and family. Now I have been away from home for periods of time that were longer than a two week stent, around a month or so. But moving two thousand miles away for at the least over a year was almost troubling to me. I knew/Know not a soul in the state of Kansas, I would be utterly alone in my endeavor. But I made the move and I found I do love my new dwellings and my position at work is my dream job. But I have become home sick and long to be with my loved ones. Then it struck me, I remembered; my pipes, I have turn to them for comfort before and I shall turn to them now. So today I packed a bowl and sat outside in the shade and I felt as though I was home and my troubles seemed to diminish. That my friends is how my pipe saved me. How about yourself? I would like to inquire as to see if your pipes helps you and what your moment was or is.

Cheers,
    Brandon R.

EmperorGix, Jammer, Kiowapipe and 2 others like this.
  2. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Sometimes at work to relieve a stressful situation. Definition of stress:1. Stress The confusion caused when ones mind overrides the body’s natural desire to choke the living sh** out of some a**hole that desperately needs it.
    It truely works wonders.

Artistik, Jammer, jdto and 2 others like this.
  3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yes, my pipe has saved me from legal troubles involving the evisceration of other humans what piss me off. :)

Artistik, Jammer, Rodfather and 4 others like this.
  4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I spent years living out of a suitcase/barracks/truck, whatever. Being away from "home" runs the gamut from scary to sheer thrill, but in the end, you're not home, and not being home is no fun.
    Packing lots of pipe and tobaccos helps, having a tobacconist that sends your favorites, regardless of where you are helps as well. As a rule, short of a telephone, pipes help more than anything.

MacNutz, Dondi, Morse and 5 others like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:thu2: .. lol

I assume your family will be with you soon . I know what it's like working away from home and it's a drag . Being you got a dream job and a new start ... surely , things will be very good ! I'm glad you have your pipes to help w/ being away from your family . In the big picture , you'll look back , and this seperation will be a mild memory of a begining that took you to where you will be , which will be good . Congrats on the new job !!!!

Basil Meadows and jpberg like this.
  6. furious

furious Junque collector

I would say that my pipes save me on a daily basis!! Best way to unwind for me. I have never left my hometown but I do feel qualified in the stress of modern life, married with small children category.

RichisonB and Basil Meadows like this.
  7. krusty

krusty Active Member

Indeed, slowing down, taking time for yourself is one of the best things you can do when life gets overbearing.
    Hence the pipe with its inherent requirement of slowing down in order to really enjoy it is the the perfect companion in times such as you describe Brandon.

Will your family be joining you or is this going to be a lengthy separation?

8. highstump

highstump Active Member

My current job allows me to be home every night. Before this (same employer) I was living in motels about 30 weeks out of the year. Usually 3 weeks out and 1 week home. That foolishness went on for 5 years. For those 3 weeks a month I always had a few pipes with me. They were a mix that I got from my dad and gifts from my wife and kids so I always had a little bit of home with me.

Small things are of the biggest help at times. :puffy:

gic, RichisonB and jpberg like this.
  9. jpberg

[​IMG]

I had this pound of Commonwealth sent to me, along with a pound of Breck's Mixture (With Pipe and Book) in January of 2004. I was on the road, my wife was home, four months pregnant with our first child. In the middle of May, I quit the job, to go home for good. I didn't have a job, but couldn't take it anymore.
    Ultimately, I took a job at home, which has turned out to be fine, but I've kept the tobacco, if I ever, God Forbid, have to go back on the road, I'm taking this tobacco with me.

MacNutz, Jammer, Rodfather and 4 others like this.
  10. highstump

highstump Active Member

JP, all I can say is...:gjob:

jpberg likes this.
  11. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

It will be a lengthy separation, but I will see them on holidays and any chance get, all is well :bing:

Cheers Friend

krusty and jpberg like this.
  12. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

That is a gentleman choice and plan if I've ever heard of one. Here is one for you :toast:

Cheers Jp

jpberg likes this.
  13. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

Thank you for kind words it means all the world to have such a great community to look upon and smile. :)

Cheers to you ruffinogold

ruffinogold likes this.
  14. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

True to every last word :gjob:

Cheers Basil Meadows

15. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

Gentleman,

I must say all of you showing concern and along with all of your stories is incredible. I must state though that I am happy in my new position and in no way am trying to create a "pitty party" for myself. :) As I've stated before all is well and thank you to all of you from my heart for all of your support and sharing with me your circumstances as well.

Cheers :bing:,
    Brandon R.

Rodfather likes this.
  16. jpberg

Brandon, are you a young or old man? Married? Single?

RichisonB likes this.
  17. krusty

krusty Active Member

hehe
    No pity party Brandon, just pipers in support of pipers (-:

Artistik and RichisonB like this.
  18. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

I am a young man the wee age of twenty years old, and I am soon to be engaged "fingers crossed" to my lovely girlfriend of three years.

Brandon

19. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

That is a great observation, love it =]

Cheers Krusty :toast:

20. jpberg

You're fine. Young men almost need to go away. The fact that you have gainful employment in a very skilled trade says loads about you. Learn about being away, and learn to be okay with yourself. Take advantage of what the local area has to offer, staying in your four walls now will haunt you later.
    All in all, home will just look that much more attractive.

Stonewall, Morse, RichisonB and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.