How tight should it be? In jars that is...(another cellaring thread)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OrganizdMadman, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Ok, I've bought a flat of 16oz wide mouth Ball canning jars.
    I'm keeping a few out to keep my every day rotation in, but I feel like I should start cellaring in case new smoking legistation ends my new hobby before I even get started.

So how much baccy should fit in a 16oz jar? I know the basic formulae is "oz of tobacco x 4 = ounces needed in container, but 2oz seems to be way too much for an eight oz canning jar. Should you gravity feed like I have been doing, or pack nice and tight? I've read a lot of cellaring threads on the forum but none really touch on how tightly to pack it for long term storage.

Sorry for all the new threads here lately, but I'm really getting excited about this, I just wish I'd picked up pipe smoking a couple of years earlier!

[edit] darn autocorrect!

2. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Great question 2 ounce needs a bit of a squash to get it all in my jars.

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

For the ribbon cut style tobacco I packed my jar using the 3 step method like when filling the pipe. Leaving roughly an 1/2 to 1 inch of space before the rim of the jar.

HCraven likes this.
  4. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Hmmm...not a bad idea, and it still allows for aging etc? How much tobacco can you generally fit per jar oz?

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

It's been a while but if I remember correctly I fit a pound of tobacco in 4 pint size mason jars.

OrganizdMadman likes this.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Ribbon cut tobacco definitely requires more space than flake, but I'm not sure you can really pack it too tight if you can still close the lid. Every 100g tin of ribbon cut Rattray's I've ever opened was packed so tight that if I emptied it out on the table I couldn't get it all back in.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Some tins are packed rather tightly...... Doesn't seem to bother the blender, nor the distributors, nor the end-users. Load them jars up as tight or loose as you wish.....afterall, it's your weed! ;)

I've got some jars packed rather tight. Some loose. No biggie! :)

Ed
    Puff

8. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Thanks! So nice n' snug is good, and I guess the old formula still stands eh? :)

IrishRover and HCraven like this.
  9. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I jarred around 25 grams of lightly rubbed FVF the other day. It filled less than half of the jar. Is this appropriate for ageing or would it be worth buying another tin to fill it up?

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I put 2 oz of tobacco in the 8oz wide mouth jars. Flake seems to go easy, while ribbon or shag need a little pressing. I've put everything from 6 to 8 ozs in a 16 oz wide mouth. The 32 oz wide mouth jars have no trouble holding a pound.

If I have an ounce or so left over, I usually put it in a babyfood jar for immediate consumption.

OrganizdMadman likes this.
  11. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

It's always worth buying another tin. You like it enough to age it, why not fill 'er on up? :)

12. Ashley Boyd

Ashley Boyd Member

Question, sorry to highjack the thread, but do you open tins and transfer tobacco to a jar for aging, or just leave it in the tin until your ready to open it?

13. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I leave it in the jar, sealed, until I open to use. After opening, I keep it in the tin, but put the tin in a large enough jar to hold a few tins. That way, if the tin is not air tight, the jar will be.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I transfer all pull top tins to jars. I've transferred a lot of metal tins to jars too, but mostly for preservation than for better aging. If I open a 16 or 32 I move an oz or 2 to a baby food jar for use Ito reduce amount of times being opened.

ol gto likes this.
  15. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I followed the principle that if the blender can compress it into a near brick to get to me, I can do the same when I jar it. I don't get it to the point where I need a piston and my body weight, but I'll pack it as tight as I need to by hand. Flakes are different though. I try not to break them up.

DunhillMan likes this.
  16. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I can fit a little over 8 oz of flake into a 16 oz jar. If it's a ribbon, I jam pack that stuff in to leave as little air as possible. Can't fit as much when it's loose though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.