1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How to age tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tycho, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tycho

Tycho Member

May 6, 2013
    If I happen to buy tobacco I don't like I have vacuum sealed them and tossed in an airtight box thinking that I'll give them a year or two to age and then try again.

But then I started thinking if vacuum can cause aging process or will it just halt everything? That leads me to think about humidors or airtight jars. Which of these methods works best for aging.

And are there any other ways to age or speed up aging tobacco?
    Robin likes this.
  2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Nov 8, 2012
    As I understand it, the lack of air helps the flavors combine/mellow. That's why most people that jar it cram as much as will fit with little air room. Excess air will dry out/make the tobacco taste stale. I've also read that applying pressure can help also, eg.clamped in a vice, under a truck tire or other heavy object.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    The easiest way to age tobacco is as follows: TIME...
    jdto likes this.
  4. JRobert

JRobert Aged Burley Flake Forum Guide

Oct 25, 2012
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Personally, I do not put loose tobacco in mason jars.
    I have been using Coleman coolers for the last 6 years.
    So, I leave the tins sealed and store in the cooler which I then put in my study's closet. I have 3.
    As there is still some oxygen in the tin, the chemical reactions/interaction between air & tobacco occur, allowing the aging process.
    This method also has the advantage, I find, to slow down the drying out of the tobacco in the opened tin.
  6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Feb 23, 2011
    The most effective for aging tobacco is .............don't smoke it.
  7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Feb 20, 2011
    If it's in a sealed tin, leave it in the tin. If it's bulk or from an opened tin, the tried and true method is to store it in mason jars, away from sunlight, in a cool place. There has been some discussion of the square/rectangular tins losing their seal over time, so one might want to check those tins on a more frequent basis. There are some who say that using a plastic vacuum bag may taint the tobacco, but if it's in the tin when vacuum sealed there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, just let 'em sit for a few years.
  8. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Member

Feb 6, 2013
    This is my problem... I can't leave it alone long enough!

Most tin's are fine for aging, but some are not, and are notorious for loosing pressure. I think as long as they are stored in a dry cool environment, they should be fine for a long time. If a tin is open, then you should choose the smallest jar that the tobacco will fit into, and use it. I am unaware of any issues with vacuum sealing, but I'm not sure if it's been tested over time as a viable solution for aging.

My $.02... Jars are cheap and efficient. Why mess with a good thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.