1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How to clean out hole in bowl?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mecompco, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Bought this Paul Viou briar off eBay for around 5 bucks, shipped.

[​IMG]

It seems to be in nice shape, but the hole at the bottom of the bowl is totally clogged, no way a pipe cleaner or even Checz tool pick will go through. How should I clean it? A drill bit comes to mind, but thought I'd check with the experts first. Thanks!

Regards,
    Michael

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I personally would use the little drill but thing that came with my senior pipe reamer so your drill bit idea isn't a bad one at all.

3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I have a shank brush that I usually use for that such occasion, but I reckon if you have a wire hanger laying around, cut about a 6 inch straight section out, and use that to kind of poke your way through...

4. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Wouldn't a little alcohol& salt, not the normal length of time soften that right up?

5. kb7get

kb7get Member

I just picked up one of these and a few small drill bits. Cleaned/opened up a few briars and also a small meer that did not have an open enough draw for me. With the meer I not only opened up the bowl but also the push/pull bit between the stem and shank.

[​IMG]

6. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Yes, that's my method too. I do have some much smaller handles that I like better, though -- it's easier to feel what the drill bit is doing!

7. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Thanks, guys, will try the drill, gently. Looking for a good deal on a Senior reamer, any place better than Amazon (around $19 with shipping for just the tool, not the big set w/drills and all)?

Regards,
    Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.