1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How To Deal With Shady Ebay E-Tailers?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by yinyang, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Alright, fellas, didn't know whom to ask this of (since I don't really know any Ebayers otherwise), how do I deal with a possible Ebay scammer? I say possible because of the situation. I bought a Kirsten pipe that came with a 7$ shipping note. No biggie, but the pipe came in today poorly wrapped in an Whitman's Sampler box with a $2.54 cent postage stamp on it. I.E., a discrepancy of a few bucks. $4.46 cents may seem trivial, but still, hey! The guy pocketed a few bucks off of me! I guess my question is-Is this something that would raise alarms for you, or am I overreacting? All input is appreciated here.

(BTW, the seller has over 10,000 feedback.)
    (BTBTW, the pipe was as described, and shipped unhurt and prompt.)

Thanks, y'all-

-Kyle

2. wataru

wataru Member

You can open a case against him and request the refund in shipping. You most likely will win but itll take at least 90 days. Im still waiting on a ruling fror my GT Hoodscoop advertised new but was missing parts and used.

The problem is, eBay tried regulating shipping a few years ago. While shipping is easy, handling is the hard part to control..

Personally, Id email him and request a refund of the difference. If he wont, leave a neutral feedback with a 1 star rating. Sellers with star ratings under 4 get sanctioned by ebay. Then open a case against him if he still wont.

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I don't blame you for being peeved, but since the goods arrived as advertised, safe and sound, I'd let it go unless the seller specified a different shipping method (like Priority Mail) in their terms. Call the difference gas money or a handling charge. Unless the seller stated a different shipping method than the one actually used, I don't think you've got grounds for an official ebay complaint.

However, no one could fault you for remembering the overage and avoiding this seller in the future.

Best,
    Bri2k

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you paid your money, and got your pipe promptly as advertised. how is this a scam?

5. woody

woody Admin Admin

Over charging on shipping is common with some sellers who try to offset eBay's seller fees. Always figure the shipping fees in when bidding.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Let it go man . Think of the gas it took to drive to the post office , the time and the fees etc .... I mean haven't you seen a pipe for .01 cents and a shipping fee of $ 10.00 . I'd be suprised if you had a case but given the times ... who knows . I mean these days the largest tax in the history of man my pass and no one knows whats in the bill ... lol ... god bless America

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

+1

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

or having to buy tape bubble wrap and a sharpie because you hardly ever ship stuff?
    a lot of sellers just use ebay as an alternative to yard sales, i'm not gonna put some old lady through hell for charging 3$ more on shipping me her dead husband's pipe collection than the actual cost of USPS postage.

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Think about it like this, the guys time to package, cost of supplies and time to go to the PO are that diference. This is the "handling" part of shipping and handleing charges. It sucks, but we all eat it. Plus you knew what he was charging for shipping going into it. Had you lived further away shipping would have been more too (for him).

10. yinyang

Thank you all for the (very!) prompt input...I had figured I'd let it go anyways...(up to 3 months to recoup????...nah..) I guess it is a honor thing for me...saying it's a small way to allow sellers to make up a diff. in price-to sell-fees still smacks of dishonesty...I have sold a limited number of items on Ebay (like under 5?), and twice I have paid extra on shipping to ensure satisfaction for the buyer....or at least make me feel good, whatever the reason. In other words, I was more worried for the buyer's happiness than my own bottom line. I'm 36, but maybe still naive to day-to-day realities such as this. Sorry to drag y'all into a minor 'point of (dis)satisfaction' with me, just needed a wake-up call on the finer points on business, I guess. That said, this still leaves a distasteful end to an otherwise happy transaction. I sincerely appreciate the quick input (slaps to the head) provided here...

Thanks, guys.

-Kyle

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I buy boxes and peanuts and tape for every pipe I ship. That's about 5 bucks on top of the face value of shipping, which for me is always right around 15 bucks.

My take on this is, you agreed to the deal and got the merchandise, and he pocketed slurpee money off it. So who cares?

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

"Peanuts".......Looser!

[​IMG]

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Aw hell Sas, I'm still waiting for my BST pipe sleves...

14. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I'll tell you what I ran into as a seller on Ebay.

I would auction stuff and put the shipping as "actual shipping fees". I'd charge whatever it cost me to ship it. The problem is that it slows the transaction way down and takes a bunch of extra work. Say an auction ended, I'd have to contact the buyer and get their address. Then package the item and go get a shipping quote. Then I would contact the buyer again with the shipping charge and the total. Then I would wait for payment which might be instant with paypal or might take awhile if mailed. Then another trip to the post office to ship.

This does not even take into account answering the 52 thousand questions from prospective buyers while the auctions were still underway that would go like this "Hey, I live in Nowhere Wisconsin, what will the shipping on this item cost?"

So, I started figuring shipping to the most distant probable shipping location in the continental US beforehand. I'd just get a rough estimate of weight and size and would calculate a shipping charge. I listed that as the shipping amount. Sometimes I came up 4 or 5$ to the better, sometimes I would be 4 or $5 short. Alot of times I was within a dollar or two one way or the other of the actual shipping. It all worked out about even but it sped up the process a HUGE amount. I'd sell an item, the buyer would have the total already and could go ahead and paypal me the payment and I'd take it to the post office to ship, many times the day the auction ended if not the next day. Many times no emails even were swapped. Auction ends, payment comes in, item ships. Way, way less headaches and the buyers generally liked it because the shipping fee was stated up front and the true total cost was easily figured before they bid.

I rarely sell on Ebay anymore. That is just the experience I had back when I did sell alot on there. Maybe it'll explain why shipping is quoted the way it is. I'll be honest, if I ever had anyone complain to me about shipping I would have refunded the difference. Never had the first complaint. Especially from the ones where I lost a few bucks. Hahahaha!

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

No more peanuts for you, dippy.

16. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

I've got no problem with a handling charge. A man's time is worth something. If it were an outrageous charge, that's different but you got the goods and agreed to the shipping when you bought the item. I'd let it go. Just my two cents.

17. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

When it comes to buying any item, including pipes from eBay I decide what is the most I am willing to pay to get this item into my hands. Then I bring up the calculator on my computer subtract the shipping cost from that amount,then I know my maximum bid, period. If I get it for that amount OK, if I don't OK. Now if the item gets into my hands as described and undamaged in a reasonable amount of time, it is not relevant how much it costs the seller to get it there. I am not being scammed or ripped off, I confirmed the bid. My choice, my principle. I watch many pipes that never draw my bid, some just because I am curious about what they will sell for, some because I am interested but I think the starting price is too high and it might not sell and get re-listed at a lower starting price. If that happens I compare shipping between the listings. If the shipping charges raise even one cent I flag the listing and do not bid. To me this has moved into the realm of I want X amount if I can't get it on the pipe I'll get it on the shipping. Again my choice, my principle. All pipe sellers are not pipe collectors. If I were considering a bid for a pipe that I would consider a real prize, I would contact the seller to ask about acceptable packaging before I ever bid, so again it becomes my choice. Just my two cents worth, shipped for free.

18. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I agree with several on here. You have to add shipping into the total price. You don't have to bid on it if you feel shipping is too high. In fact, you can report it to eBay if you feel it's too high. If you got the pipe for a total price you were willing to pay, and it arrived to you in good shape, feel good about it.

19. yinyang

I think this wouldn't seem dishonest to me IF Ebay listed it as shipping AND handling fees. Minor point for sure, but it makes things seem more up and up. I, just last week, dropped 4 dollars on bubble wrap, a buck on tissue paper, and 2 dollars on tape...I didn't factor that as shipping fees, so I ate the cost. I guess as a business, it would be a poor idea, but I was selling off a couple of things just lying around unused.

20. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

if you dont want to pay the amount, don't click the button that says "confirm bid" which legally binds you to paying the amount, including the shipping. seller sets their price, people pay it if they're willing, thats how it works.

people have to make money, its not just a place you can go to find stuff cheaper than stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.