1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How to freshen up a cob?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey everyone,

I have been smoking my cob a good bit lately and now it's starting to stink and just be nasty internally. Is there any way I can freshen it up?

Thanks!

Jomo

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

To rejuvenate a cob there is nothing better than fresh air and sunshine, remove the stem and place in full sun for a day or two, old timers like me have been doing this for decades.;)

Jussto and Kiowapipe like this.
  3. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I smoke my MM Legend quite heavily too and at times it doe sget somewhat funky. When that happens i clean it out and let it be for a couple days. Sorts itself out ;)

In my limited experience this seems to work for all pipes. If they get that raw moist smell to them, all they need is a good dryout period. 2-3 days without the stem in and they are good to go again.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yup, fresh air is the key. Additionally, though, before you begin the fresh air regimen, you can do a little mechanical clean-up. I notice that if I've been smoking my cobs very frequently they can sort of 'mud up' in a way that my briars don't. Take your pipe tool and do some real digging and scraping in there. I can sometimes pull out a pretty good wad of black Play-Doh. After you've got it de-gunked and smoothed out how you like it, a spit or alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through the internals and the bowl does a good final touch-up. Then all you need to do is give the poor girl a few days to rest. Sun and wind are best but sitting on a rack works fine too. It'll probably be fine after only a couple of days but I think it keeps freshening and improving for maybe up to a week if you can wait that long.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Kiowapipe, after each smoke use a wadded up paper towel and dry ream the cob, this will keep cake build up to a minimum and remove leftover goo and gunk, I would not recommend using any kind of liquid in the bowl, it's not needed, remember cobs absorb moisture and flavors, if the bottom of the bowl is damp let it dry out before you go poking around down there, better to scrape it out after it has had time to dry to prevent damaging the pith.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

All this talking about cobs are making me miss mine! A lot!

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

The other option is to go out and get 3 more, it'll be back to normal by the time you get acquainted with them!

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

I will for sure try the fresh air and sunshine, Beale.

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Clean the shank, clean the shank, clean the shank and when you've finished that - clean the shank. Also as Marc indicated - put the thing outside in the fresh air in full sun. If it's your only cob, oops. It's gonna take a few day to drying out and start to smell better.

Will

BradNTX likes this.
  10. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Perfect timing for this thread! My cob has a funky ghost in it that needs exorcism. Thanks for the tips everyone! ;)

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

And I agree with Will, always clean the shank!

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Good advice, Marc, except that I do favor a bit of cake in my cob. I won't try to persuade anyone it's the right way to smoke a cob, just the way I like to smoke them! :)

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

If you want to "sweeten" it, after you clean it with a few dry pipe cleaners, take a pipe cleaner and dip it in your favorite liquor. Run that through the mouthpiece and shank, then wipe out the bowl with it. Whatever you do, don't fill the bowl (ex. - salt treatment) like you would a briar and soak it (spoken from personal experience... the cob will turn to mush).

14. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

I scrape the bowl with a bowl cleaner. I use one of the nice little pipe pistol brushes ( with some soap and water ) to clean the bit in the sink. I hit the stem with a doubled up pipe cleaner and ream it as much as I can. Then I fill the bowl with Koshering Salt. I then tap the bowl to get as much salt as I can into the stem. I do what I call a "dry salt" treatment. In fact, I "dry salt" all of my pipes and it works fantastically. I know a lot of folks use a clear grain alcohol or even isopropanol but I simply fill and pack the bowl with Kosher Salt and let it sit for a day or so. If you have enough pipes you can go longer.

I nice dry pipe just absolutely ROCKS.

15. Marc

Marc Active Member

All you need to do for a cob is dry ream the bowl after a couple of smokes, keep the shank and stem clean, fresh air and sunshine and it will last for years.

16. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

a good swabbing of stem and shank with brandy--then the same in the bowl--set it in the sun in a place with moving air---be right as rain in a couple days

17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

This must be funky cob week because my Country Gent got a little funky Wednesday. I took some tapered pipe cleaners and went after it after dipping the tip in some vodka. It took 3 to clean out the shank good. I also bent the clean end in a U shape and touched it to the vodka, before rubbing it around the walls of the bowl. I stuck it on the back porch Thursday morning and brought it in Thursday night and it smelled fine and was dry.

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Again, I would not recommend swabbing out the bowl of a corn cob or a briar for that matter with any kind of alcohol or liquor.

19. WillH

WillH Active Member

You're dead on! Matter-of-fact if one can have enough pipes to let them dry out properly you should never need to "sweeten" a pipe bowl. I have six cobs and eight briar pipes and never sweeten their bowls. They all smoke and smell just fine! I do clean them (shank and stem only) with a little whisky (Q-tips and pipe cleaners) after each smoke - only takes a few seconds.

Will

20. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I have a MM Great Dane Spool that was giving me fits with soaking wet dottle and gurgles. I inspected it carefully and did not think it called for mudding (something that worked on some other cobs). We are experiencing something rare for a Georgia August, daytime humidity in the 30's. So last night I removed the stem and hung the pipe out on my clothes line. I tried it tonight when I got home and the 1st bowl was just fine, smoked down to ash with minimal dottle, and no gurgles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.