1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of excess humectant

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Simple Pleasure, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simple Pleasure

Simple Pleasure Member

Some time ago I bought a poly bag of tobacco at a local drug store that had way to much humectant added to it. The tobacco is a sweet burly that has a pleasant taste and terrific room note. This tobacco will not burn hardly at all and the excess steam produced when it is burning is keeping the pleasant flavor of the smoke far in the background.
    My question today is how can I rid it of the excess moisture?
    So far I have tried spreading it out on a baking sheet and let it sit out for probably 6-8 weeks, it helped some but not nearly enough. I jarred it and put it away for a year, just checked it and it is still to wet. Is there a way to rid the tobacco of the excess moisture or have I wasted my money on something that will never be smokeable? (Blenders Choice-Golden Burly)
    I have heard of oven drying tobacco would that help? What temp and how long ?

2. Bent

Bent Member

A few things to keep in mind.

Many of those poly bags have a fan base and the general consensus seems to indicate they burn well. I myself smoke quite a bit of those poly bags (Smoker's Pride) and they burn well. I'm only saying this to bring up other factors that might be affecting your enjoyment of the smoke, namely:
    a) are you a new smoker? if so, it might be just a matter of proper technique
    b) are you used to blends with considerably less humectants or ones that use plain water?
    c) If you are new to smoking, might this be a matter of packing technique?

Or it could just be that the blend doesn't agree with you, which is perfectly normal.

As far as getting rid of the humectant, that might be difficult. A lot of those poly bags are loaded with Propylene Glycol (PG) instead of natural water because the bags aren't air tight and they tend to sit in a shelf for long periods of time. PG lasts longer than water under those circumstances and therefore will keep the tobacco moist for longer. The downside is that, unlike water, it is a devil the get rid of it.

My advise would be to try a different brand of poly bag tobacco. If you have some to salvage, put it in your car in an open bag during a HOT HOT HOT summer day.

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

Try nuking it for 10 seconds. I've dont this with overly moist tobaccos before and it works pretty good.
    On a side note. What's "poly bag" tobacco?

dmkerr likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1. Experiment with the nuke time, starting at 5 seconds, and just try a little at a time until you get it right.

I nuke Dark Star for 10 seconds. 5 and it's still too wet, 15 and it's destroyed. Whoever told me to go 10 seconds knew what he was talking about!

5. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that either.

:popc:

6. Cooterbrown

Cooterbrown Member

Cheap bulk tobacco that comes in a big ziploc. They're common in walgreens and smoke shops. They are usually uncapped burly or different cavendish. They're usually almost soupy wet but work well for blending your own. I used to buy the black and gold cavendish and go about 3:1 gold to black an mix in whatever junk I didn't like. Kind of a trash can blend. Te cavendish covered up everything well enough but I didn't waste anything. Got rid of a lot of sampler packs that way

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

There are some Poly bag tobacco that is just soaked and others arent so bad . Many here , and myself , dig Smokers Pride Black Cavendish or one of their other blends . That stuff thats soaked real bad .... a baking sheet w/ the tobacco in the oven at a very low temp might help it some [ or might make it hot and wet ] . If it were me , I'd blend it w/ something to where it works and when it's done ... it's done . The SP stuff smokes quite good . Maybe next time try that . Actually , wvsmokeshop.com has Smokers Pride 1oz samples . That would be a good way to judge if ya like it

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

A plug for WV Smokeshop is always a good tip.

9. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

To each his own but personally I tend to avoid tobaccos drenched in PG. I hate the way it makes my mouth feel and I don't know what chemical changes happen with it and the tobacco as it burns.

10. Cooterbrown

Cooterbrown Member

I'm new at this at only 10 years but what's PG

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Propylene Glycol

12. Cooterbrown

Cooterbrown Member

Sounds bad..... Thanks

13. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

here in Africa.. There is a blend called ''rum'n maple''.. I dunno if yo'all get it overseas.. It is smoked by literally ''every pipe smoker'' as a go to tobacco.. I myself bought it a few times & feel like getting a pouch again.. But to the point..

I have experianced moisture problems with it & was told by a wise elderly gentleman, that i should take this ''dirt'', throw it on a newspaper, take out all the twigs and branches, (it's really not even C-grade quality) & then rub it out..

He then also explained that i should put the dirt in a pyrex dish, spread out, sprinkle it with water & heat for about ten to twenty seconds.. Guess what? The end result was a remarkable and flavourful smoke.. Hence it is my suggestion to you, to try it out..

But like i said, it's not high quality, so ''cleaning'' it took about two to three hours.. :bing:

Bump and Old Codger like this.
  14. Simple Pleasure

Simple Pleasure Member

Yes. I am new to the pipe in 2009 I'm still learning technique and might never get it exactly right. My regular smokes are CH and SWRA, in both cobs and briars. CH gets a three step method to fill the bowl, SWRA is a longer cut and I try my best to use the Frank method with that tobacco. I rarely get to smoke to the bottom of a bowl, always need a few relights.
    I also have a dozen or so other blends I have tried on my pipe smoking journey that will not be replaced when they are gone. CH and SWRA have been favorites that are purchased locally by the tub.

A large plastic bag of tobacco usually 12 ounces.

SP Black Cav was my fourth tobacco purchase. Smells like roasted marshmallows in the bag. It was also wet when I purchased it but it dried better in the open air. Still smoke it occasionally.

Yea but it was the smell was what sold me. The smell is of a sweet burly with no other flavorings. I am looking to replace the SWRA that seems overly flavored to me now.

Sounds like it might "wash out" some of the pg. I'll try it also if need be.

I'll measure out a few bowls and try the microwave methods first. If that don't do the trick I'll throw some in my electric oven set on low for a while to see what happens.

Old Codger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.