1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How to grip a pipe correctly in the mouth?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by shandy, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shandy

shandy Member

I know this seems a silly question but I am a newbie and I am just not sure the best way.

I don't want to put to much bite on the pipe stem as it is not comfortable I find. I seem to have developed a method which seems to work which is that I balance the pipe between my teeth with the stem taking some of the weight by resting on my jaw. I have only just discovered this was, before I was clenching which made my jaw ache.

I only have bent stems which of course is the only way to do it the way I am now.
    Any advice on other ways of doing this would be great. I don't particularly want ruddy great bite marks on my stems!
    Thanks so much in advance.
    Ian

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well, Ian, there are probably as many ways to clench a pipe as there are sets of teeth. Most people find a comfortable spot somewhere in the corner of their mouth, between the first set of molars. I've seen people clench them right in front, between the incisors, but that seems terribly uncomfortable and dosn't look quite right, IMO. Bent pipes are supposed to be easier to clench, partly for the reason you mention, that of being able to rest some of the weight on your jaw, and partly because the bend keeps the center of gravity close to your mouth. That said, my pipes are almost all either straight or maybe half bent, and I clench them without problems, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've been gifted with an incredibly square bite.

With some practice you'll be able to slacken up on the clench a bit, once you discover the balance point. If you find clenching in general uncomfortable, try some softie bits. I much prefer the softer surface to bite down on, and a little extra bulk at the button lets you loosen up your bite, IMO. They also protect your bits from those bite marks.

Kiowapipe, IrishRover and shandy like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I just chew the crap out of my pipes and then sell them to HCraven.

Each pipe has it's own personality - balance point, hanging angle, how the bit is cut.... it all factors in. Some I can hold in my teeth all day, some I can barely clench for a minute before they bug me. But there's no "right way" or "wrong way" here.

4. shandy

shandy Member

Thank you so much for your speedy response Herb. I think I have found the balance point with the Sav, will experiment with the Ben Wade later. I like the idea of the rubber tips. I will search them out and get some!

HCraven likes this.
  5. shandy

shandy Member

Thanks so much for this advice. Part of the fun is in the learning!

IrishRover likes this.
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Full bents are the only ones so far that I can loosen up on the jaw. Straights and half bents just don't rest comfortably for me.
    I have just started with the softy rubber bits - takes a bit of getting used to. Some fit the stems perfectly, some are loose and create extra air when drawing which doesn't work out to well.
    I've also used heat shrink tubing on some of the bits. I like the feel of that but, they're easier to bite through.

shandy likes this.
  7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

As you learn that pipe, you'll learn what you can and can't do. Clenching can be difficult if the bit doesn't seem to find a "home" between your teeth. I used to have difficulty with 3-4 oz pipes (bent of course!) but now, do it with regularity (ok, no big mouth jokes ok?;)). If i were to say if there were a pipe specifically designed for clenching.....it'd hands down be a cob.

If you align the stem with your rows (upper and lower) on whichever side you wanna clench and hold the stem between your teeth grip, loosen a touch if secure and even more if things feel balanced. Using your lips sort of as a "spotter" to this balancing act and as you practice this, you'll have less jaw fatigue from prolonged clenching. Hope that makes sense.

Ed
    Puff

Smoking Gun and shandy like this.
  8. ol gto

ol gto Member

I found early on that I didn't like straight pipes because of the difficulty of clinching them where they were not in my way for movement/vision. When working/tinkering I prefer a smaller pipe, my D-G Lark and Duke serve me well.

HCraven and shandy like this.
  9. shandy

shandy Member

This is wonderful, I thank you all so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted the thread. What a lovely place this is, your all so kind.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Ed's right on, it takes some practice to do it without thinking or fatigue, kind of like driving a car with a stick shift. One other point I'd make whether you clench or not is to change sides from time to time. I think we all tend to favor one side or the other, just like how we have one stronger and more dexterous hand, but the taste buds on your tongue aren't distributed evenly, that is to say that some flavors register better on one side than the other. Moving the pipe to the other side once in a while may well reveal flavors that you previously missed in a particular blend. For me, the right side is more sensitive to sweeter flavors, while the left is more adept at picking up the smokiness of Latakia, for instance. Just want you to get the most out of your smoking experience.

shandy, Puff The Magic and ol gto like this.
  11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

ol gto and shandy like this.
  12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've been a clincher since day one, I just pop it in my mouth, clench and start smoking, it has always seemed second nature to me. :puffy:

shandy likes this.
  13. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

one thing with the rubber bit I have found is that on some pipes it is better to put them on backwards. this can creat kind of a nice concave surface to clench if the pipe has a bigger bit

ol gto likes this.
  14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Neat idea ChrisD, I will have to try that. :puffy:

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't think that your Ben Wade will be a good clencher, so don't get discouraged with that one. The Savinelli should be fine. I am a constant clencher, and couldn't do it without softees.

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I clench a lot, which is why I buy lighter pipes.
    Almost all my pipes are straight. The weight of
    the pipe will dictate how ones clenches it. IMHO.

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

I'm not actually a clencher but if I do hold a pipe in my mouth -like I do now while typing this- I tend to put the lower lip between the teeth and the mouth piece.
    This prevents tooth marks on the bottom of the stem and makes holding the pipe a bit easier.:bing:

18. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I've developed powerful clenching muscles. I put a rope up in my garage and practiced hanging by nothing but my teeth. In time, I was able to clench along with the rest of 'em. I could use some clenching muscles in my ass, but that's another story.

All in fun.
    Ol Brokedik.

Dondi, dwaugh and Smoking Gun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.