How to pack for vacation?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tony Bybee, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Bybee

Tony Bybee Member

so I am headed to south of the border on Thursday. cant decide what to take with me... not that many choices actually. Rlp6, molto dolce, American delight, mm 965, blend 5 sutliff, cb white & royal, and carter hall already has a ticket. How many pipes do fellas take? not any of my good ones for sure (dubious adjective). planning on a cob and a couple of basket briars. Has anyone been hassled by the authorities for bringing tobacco into mexico?

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Never having been down Mexico way, I can't speak to what to expect at the border. But if I'm travelling for several days and I know I'll be smoking a fair amount, I'll probably take five pipes. Two for lat blends, two for Virginias (each pipe can be given a day to rest) and a cob for aros, burleys, or just as a backup.

I tend to take bigger pieces that can fill up a long, leisurely afternoon, but usually none from my "first string." Given the chances of a pipe being left somewhere, stolen, confiscated by an unreasonable LEO, or damaged in the course of the day's merriment, you're correct to leave your prize briar at home.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I spend more time packing my pipes/tobacco than my clothes. I do get a sense of enjoyment out of the process. I tend to go with smaller pipes for shorter smokes as we're typically in hotel which of course are all non-smoking. If we have a beach house for the week, than I bring along the big boys for unlimited smoking.

Lucky Duck and ruffinogold like this.
  4. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

Are you going for vacation or work?

I would worry more about having enough money to pay off the federales. Why anyone would go to Mexico right now is beyond me, but it's your life I guess.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Certain years I'll travel quite a bit for work and I've always gotten by with 4 pipes and a couple / three blends . Mexico is pretty freakin warm so , if it were me , I'd pack some milder blends and one fuller bodied .
    From my travels to Mexico .. going in was nothing , coming back into the states was more dramatic . I wouldn't think you'll have an issue with anything going in but your bags will be gone through , more than likely , coming out . Things may have changed cause it's been some time since I was there . Enjoy Mexico and only drink bottled drinks that have the cap on them , un popped ;)

Thuber88 likes this.
  6. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I'm with Mr. Bojangles. Mexico is the last place I would want to go right now. I was smoking a pipe earlier using my deer antler tamper with a .45 casing and was wondering if I would get busted in Mexico bringing that in. Wierd thought. You know how you think of random stuff while you puff. Be safe down there. How long you staying? We are taking a long weekend business/vacation next month to San Antonio and I plan on taking two cobs, two briars and three to four blends. Of what I don't know yet. I was in Mexico a few years ago and Cuban cigars are readily available if you enjoy those. Just can't bring them back of course. Have a nice trip!

Thuber88 likes this.
  7. bdragon

bdragon Member

I have lived on the road for a long time, and this is what I take on any trip. 4 pipes, cleaners, reamer, and home made folding pipe stand, all in a nice leather case with a tin of tobacco. I then take an extra 3 or 4 tins. On the road I take tins of flake and plugs. They take less space then the rest.

I also pack Lugol's Solution 5% (iodine), I use this to treat all non-heated water and keep from getting sick.

bd - "The Christian resolve to find the world evil and ugly, has made the world evil and ugly." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

8. Tony Bybee

Tony Bybee Member

i go to tulum every year, never had a hint of a problem. just like anywhere else if you want trouble youll find it. also there are certainly parts of mexico to avoid at all costs. i have never taken a pipe in ans was wondering what to expect. im headed out thursday and will be there for a week. thanks for the info guys.

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Just do not, I repeat do not, take a pipe that has a shell casing incorporated into it anywhere. You will most likely lose it at the border. (I'm not kidding either).

10. User3940

User3940 Active Member

As someone who lives only 70 miles from the border I can say that I would not drive into Mexico as that will take you through those regions that have the most Cartel activity. If I was going into Mexico I would fly to the Southern Regions as they are perfectly safe. Avoid the border areas if possible.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'm going to Cyprus in July (Turkish part), I'll probably take two Falcons +2 bowls - and a big, big bag of Condor, because the other year I ran short of tobacco just before the end of the trip and had to quit smoking for a couple of days - because all I could find in the shops was Captain Black!....and no way was I about to spoil my holiday by smoking that stuff!:confused:
    OT

Explorer352, Stonewall and SouthBound like this.
  12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I admire a principled man.

Old Ted likes this.
  13. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

? What's wrong with Mexico? It's a beautiful country. I usually pack a girl, board shorts and a cob.

Explorer352 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.