How to stop moisture buildup (or tips on how to prevent it)

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Liquidblue4, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

I've been trying to build cake in the bottom of my pipe by only smoking half bowls or 1/4 bowls using Carter Hall mostly. No matter how I fill the pipe or how I smoke it it still gets moist and gurgles pretty fast. I leave pipe cleaners in it to soak up some moisture when I'm finished, but no matter how long I let the pipe rest it still instantly becomes moist.

So because of this, the bottom of my bowl isn't building cake... but the top has some pretty nice cake from smoking random full bowls.

Is it the way my pipe is built or am I just doing something totally wrong here?

[​IMG]
    Inspgad likes this.
  2. User3940

User3940 Lacks Self Control

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with CH building moisture. Sounds like a pipe problem for sure.
    Inspgad likes this.
  3. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

Maybe this pic will help out in finding the problem.

[​IMG]
    Inspgad likes this.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

There could easily be something wrong inside the pipe, something built wrong. Can you take it apart, get a picture of the tenon, and maybe get me a picture looking down the mortise?
    Inspgad likes this.
  5. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

This is the best I can do. Its pretty hard to get a pic of inside there.

[​IMG]
    Inspgad likes this.
  6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Is the end of the tenon funneled?
  7. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

nope
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

I would do two things. First, funnel the end of the tenon, this can be accomplish with a counter-sink drill bit.

Second, if the tenon is almost the same length as the mortise, it might be interfering with the smoke coming out of the airway - as you point out in the photo, the actual hole is a little "high" in the mortise. This isn't a problem unless the tenon is getting right up and blocking it a bit - so you could try smoking the pipe with the stem pulled out a little bit ...1/8" or so... and if the pipe smokes better then the tenon would need shortening. But if the tenon is not close to the mortise length, then the funnel should help a lot.
    Inspgad likes this.
  9. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

So just drill this into a funnel?

[​IMG]
    Inspgad likes this.
  10. DGErwin11

Yes. But don't use a drill. You should be able to turn the countersink by hand.
    Inspgad likes this.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

Yep - if you get that thing to be a nice concave shape a lot of your problems will go away I think.
    Inspgad likes this.
  12. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

is there an alternative to a countersink?
    Inspgad likes this.
  13. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat

14. DGErwin11

If you are careful, a sharp knife will work. Or the next size larger drill bit.
    Inspgad likes this.
  15. jdto

jdto Good day, eh!

A question about this: should I wait until my pipes are more broken in before bothering to try the funnel thing? I have a couple that gurgle, but they're still building cake and haven't been smoked more than a dozen times each.
    Inspgad likes this.
  16. DGErwin11

It won't hurt to funnel them now. I funnel all my tenons during the making process. Bill (kwguy) weighed in on another thread that funneling will solve most moisture problems. He funneled the tenons on our POY's. I'm pretty sure Sas does too. If it is good enough for those 2, who am I to argue?
  17. Moose

Moose Active Member

This is some good information, thanks for providing it. And thanks JRobert for your research on the link you provided. The picture cleared up the process for me.

There is information everywhere here, you just got to grab it. Thanks to all.
    Inspgad likes this.
  18. jason1977

jason1977 Your friendly Palmetto State Piper

Is this something that happened recently? Were u smoking inside or outside? If you were outside, it could very well be the heat outside & humidity in the air. I don't smoke ANY of my briers outside from June til October. I get gurgly, briers don't handle the south carolina humidity as well as a cob ;) I smoke cobs in the late spring / beginning of fall. I have fought it & fought it & that's just the way it is.
    Inspgad and ruffinogold like this.
  19. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I countersink my tenons as a general practice. Why wait to see if there is a problem?
    Inspgad and Old Codger like this.
  20. jdto

jdto Good day, eh!

I did a few of them and will test to see if I notice an improvement.
    Inspgad and Old Codger like this.