1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Taste Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by James29, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James29

James29 Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hi all, as a new pipe smoker I'm finding it very hard to actually taste the flavours in the aromatic tobacco... Is there any helpful tips any of you couldd share..I've spent quite abit of
    money on various flavors but can't seem to taste anything.. I've even slowed right down to the point of the tobacco going out..any help would be appreciated! :blink:

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    This link at Vegas Smokes has a wealth of useful info.

As for tasting the tobacco, there's a lot of things that could be affecting it. Some tobaccos have a very subtle flavor at best. Also, if you've smoked strong aromatics or latakias in your pipe and then move on to a virginia, the "ghosting" might mask the softer flavor of the virginia tobacco.

After I get my pipe lit so it stays lit, I take very slow and shallow puffs and try to draw the smoke across the top of my tongue which allows me to appreciate the flavor. Also any spicy or strong food or drink (especially carbonated sodas) can keep you from fully tasting milder tobaccos. When I smoke Orlik Golden Sliced, I use one of my pipes slated for "pure" tobaccos (non-aromatic, non latakia blends) and I drink something mild like water or tea, which gives me a relatively clean palate.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will have even better tips!

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Brian gave some solid advice and let me add that exhaling through your nose will also enhance the flavor of your tobacco, the nose and the tatste buds work together and most aromatics are created for the people around you not for taste in my opinion, aromatics usually add a sweetness to the taste of the tobacco.
  4. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Not to forward you to my thread, but I started one just like this and got a few responses. Maybe look over it as well. And WELCOME!

Tips to Tasting Pipe Tobacco
  5. jamie7

jamie7 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Hi WP,

I suggest you get hold of some real quality tobaccos. I could be wrong, but a lot of times new pipe smokers have mostly smoked the bulk blends at the tobacconist, or pouched drugstore blends that aren't meant to be a big flavour hit. There are some good blends at the B&M but a lot of just so-so ones as well. Drugstore tobaccos can be really enjoyable as well, but can take a while to become aware of what makes them good. Sometimes they just seem bland to new smokers.

Get some quality tins by blenders like Samuel Gawith, G.L. Pease, McClelland, etc. If you want a flavour hit try something like Frog Morton on the Town. If you can't taste that then the issue isn't in the tobacco.

Smoking hot and fast can kill some of the flavour profiles of tobaccos. Smoking everything in the same pipe can confuse the tastebuds also.

Good luck.
  6. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

Nov 23, 2009
    I went through the same thing when I started....why the heck doesn't this vanilla flavored stuff taste vanilla? Turns out, most of the aromatics I played with are more about the room note then the flavor.

You may want to check out GLP Barbury Coast (burley with rum flavor) or Sam Gawith Firedance Flake (Virginia with Blackberry). Both use natural flavorings that come through in the taste of the smoke, not just the smell.

Have fun.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    As a slightly facetious rule, the better a tobacco smells in the tin, the worse it will taste in the pipe, and the worse a tobacco smells in the tin, the better it will taste when you smoke it.

Dr Sasquatch prescribes one tin of Presbyterian Mixture, to be burned slowly, after food.
  8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009

If you could get my insurance company to cover that prescription I would be one happy fellow.
  9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    My bride would agree whole-heartedly Sas....the smell of MM965 or Penzance for instance...."Smells like burning tennis shoes!"says she...."Tastes like heaven!" says I!
  10. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Apr 4, 2010
    You need to learn how to nose smoke...with your pipe in your mouth and your mouth closed on the stem, inhale a deep breath through your nose...then take in a mouthful of smoke from your pipe and hold it in your mouth for a moment...then exhale the air from your lungs through your nose, and also direct a little of it through your mouth into the stem of your pipe...the air/smoke mix going through your nose will add to the flavor of what your are smoking as your tongue can only taste, sweet, bitter, salty, and sour...the olfactory recepters in your nose will work in tandem with your tongue...the little bit of air that you send down the stem of the pipe will cause a small puff to rise from the bowl..this also helps keep the tobacco burning...less relighting...

Finally, expel the last of the air in your lungs through your mouth...there is a physics principle that comes into effect here...the Bernoulli Principle...the current of air being expelled from your lungs through your nose will suck the smoke out of your mouth and send it though your nose enhancing the taste and smell of your pipe tobacco...

I hope I've explained this properly, as it's something you just have to try, and once you get the hang of it you'll do it automatically...I suspect the experienced pipers here will know what I'm talking about...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.