1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Humidity question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by powell0892, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

First off before I got into smoking pipes I was into cigars so heres the ole question, I have a very large humidor, that is outfitted with a digital humidification device, what is the ideal humidity% for pipe tobacco? And would you store your pipe tobacco in here if you had it and what percent would you store it at? Also can I store aro's in here together in a ziploc bag without worrying about taste or smells effecting each blend? Thanks for all the help

2. CBR

CBR Member

I believe it was Greg Pease who wrote something along the lines of humidity for cigars is measured by the ambient air, but with pipe tobacco it's measured straight from the leaves/shreds/ribbons themselves - usually preferred around 10-15%. If I can find the article I'll post it for you.

As for myself I keep my humidor strictly for cigars, the reason being that all my pipe blends have their own jars or tins which already effectively keep the moisture at the right level. Unlike cigars, I don't worry about my pipe tobacco humidity, it really doesn't affect the draw like a cigar. If the blend is moist, just fill the pipe looser, and conversely if the blend is dry.

3. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Ok thanks right now I am currently storing everything in mason jars as I have heard thats the way to go.

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

You heard right! :cheers:

5. powell0892

powell0892 Member

So I got another question, can you "pack" you tobacco in the mason jar tight, seeing how 2oz of baccy will not fit in a 8oz jar unless you were to cram it, does it need to be loose or can you pack it in?

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Whoa there...I have never had a 2oz tin of weed not fit in and 8 oz jar. You do want some air in there. Over jamming the weed into the jar can kind of turn the condensed section into mush over time. I strive for about 1/2" of visable space between the top of the weed and the lid. Naturally flakes take up much less space in a jar.

7. powell0892

powell0892 Member

HAHA I must be packing a little to loose then I will do this method next time and see if I can fit my 2oz thanks for the heads up

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

yeah sure, just pack it in! but here's my two cents... take it out of the tin first [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.