1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

HUSKY SADDLEBIT CARVED BULLDOG

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nobler son, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobler son

nobler son Member

Can't really say what drew me to this one. I wanted another bulldog (though I've recently learned it is more accurately a rhodesian) and I liked the look of this one (plus, I like the seller: pipesbywhitney). It'll probably be about the size of a shillelagh when it gets here. It certainly looks like one.

This is the description.

This is an unusually well-made pipe that I believe got caught between which maker was going to market it back in the 1960s or '70s.

It resembles the Custombilt style developed by Tracy Mincer, but has all the traits of a well-made higher-grade pipe produced by Carl Weber.

The Weber pipe factory in Jersey City, NJ, produced pipes under the Weber name as well as pipes for Custombilt during the period in which this pipe was made.

Since it is stamped only "Imported Briar" I have to assume it went to market without a maker's mark.

This is an exceptionally well-built pipe. Sturdy and handsome.

This pipe has no teeth marks on the push-style saddlebit mouthpiece.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yup I'd call that a Rhodesian and an unusual looking one at that - nice carving on the bowl and still appears in great condition,

Happy smoking when she arrives

Gerry

3. Rider

Rider Member

looks like someone carved it out of a log :xd: i like it :thumbsu:

4. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Love the carving! Enjoy it!
    Z

5. nobler son

nobler son Member

Like I said. Shillelagh.

6. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Sweet! Looks like a flawless finish. :thumb:

7. Rider

Rider Member

:thumb:

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's one heck of a find! Enjoy it in good health!

9. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

This is my all time favorite pipe shape / type. Squat, stubby, tomato-Rhodesian-bulldog or what ever they call them. (Different makers call them different things)
    I have a couple by Wally Frank, Custombilt, and "Imported Briar, Made in England (aka No-Name.)One of them was a refurbished pipe done by Tim Thorpe and the others were refurbished by Tim West. I love these pipes!!!! The Wally Frank is really old. (1940's ?). They all smoke flakes like a dream.

10. nobler son

nobler son Member

Finally got to try the pipe out. My chief worry was that, due to the rather short stem, it would smoke hot. Not at all, turns out. Warm after a light/relight, but quickly stepped back into line. Bowl never got hot to the touch--one of the reasons I love Bulldogs/Rhodesians. All in all, a very well spent thirty dollars. :doh:

Even my brother, who normally says things like "Hrrm, yes yes, quite" in a stuffy English accent whenever he sees me with one of my pipes, just said, "Wow, I really like that shape."

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

That is verry nice! And along with your brother, you could add my wife to the ranks of 'bulldog enthusiasts'. When she opened my Pete B-Dawg from the package, she said 'Ooh, I like that one.' She only glowers at my other briars.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You'll know if Tracy Mincer had a hand on it if in the " deep " cuts you see little " scratch " lines . Got the lowdown on Mincer years ago at a CHICGAOLAND show and had picked out a couple as well . Algerian briar and hard as a rock .. yet light for the amount of wood . Looks like one of those pipes you can sit and really hang with . I bet you'll dig it !

13. Twan013

Twan013 Member

nice pipe. I want me a squarshed mater pipe like that.. maybe one day. i've got too many i want. based on my "wish list", my whole plan to have 5 pipes at the most is right out the window! squashed tomato, ukulele/eskimo, churchwarden, giant poker, vest pocket (not sure why, just to say that i've got one), a straight nosewarmer, one of the huge rhodesians that makes you think you're holding a baseball with a stem.. dragon's claw meerschaum (seems to be pretty popular)...

14. nobler son

nobler son Member

Meant to reply to this earlier. It actually does have those "scratches" in the deeper grooves.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SCORE! Nice one Nobler! Pipes like that have a warm place in my heart. Somehow it makes "sniffing" the smoke that rises from the bowl that much easier. Also, easier to drive in the car with without banging it into things! Once had a semi-churchwarden (Wiley) in the car with me, and I turned my head to make a lane change and "bang" the pipe hit the window! From then on, it's shorter pipes or ~5"-ish for driving & running errands.

Congratz on your Shillelagh! Bet you'll be smokin' that one on St Patty's day. :whistle:

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

16. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

That's a really nice pipe nobler. Bet it smokes as good as it looks. Congrats.

17. nobler son

nobler son Member

If I can score some Old Dublin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.