I actually was able to tell the DIFFERENCE!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Great Basin Ben, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

Hi everyone. As you already can guess, I'm a TOTAL noob, both to here, and to pipe smoking in general. So with that said, I am excited, to share my most recent experience.

On Friday night, I purchased a "basket pipe", some tools, and a few ounces of what seemed I might like to start out with. I had marginal success, with some plesant smokes, but some tongue bite as well, and the Briar pipe marked "H.I.S. made in Italy" seemed to heat up fairly quickly, even when I do pace myself, and sip, the smoke slowly.

So last night, I stopped by my local Tinder Box, and picked up a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe, and MAN was there ever a difference between the two pipes! I bought an ounce of Crown Royale too, to try out in the new pipe, and man was I pleased! From the beginning to the end, through the MM Cob pipe, the new Crown Royale tasted AMAZING! From my first sip, right down to the bottom of the bowl, this pipe smoked like a dream! (well at least compared to my $25 basket pipe). So I then cleaned out my (H.I.S) briar pipe, and loaded a full bowl of the CR in it.

The briar pipe seemed to subdue the flavors of the CR though. Compared to the MM Cob, there was almost NO flavor, and it seemed to burn much much hotter, resulting in some minor tongue bite, compared to the absolute DREAM of a smoke that the Cob offered.

So, I am very excited, (as you can probably already tell) that I am actually able to discerne between the two. It is also exciting to see how, nice, (and cheap for that matter) the MM pipes smoke. They stay nice and cool, and "sweet" is the only way I could explain the experience otherwise. I'm sure MOST of you here, have already had similar "sparks of insight", but I just thought I'd share my most recent one with you guys here. I'm certainly beginning to understand, how folks would prefer different pipes, not only for different occasions, but for different smokes, and different drynesses of tobacco, too.

You'll have to excuse my gittyness! HAHA!

All the best,
    Ben

Kiowapipe likes this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Hey, that's cool! Fun when something clicks, eh?

I'm not a cob fan but one thing is for certain... it's easier to get a less-than-stellar briar (or meerschaum) than a MM corncob. Then again, your briar probably isn't broken in yet - no protective cake to make the pipe smoke cooler. Give the briar some time and it'll probably do just fine. Cobs require no break in, although some folks claim they smoke better with cake, too. I'll let them chime in, as I'm far from an expert on the subject of cobs.

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  3. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

it's REALLY fun, when it all finally comes together. I'm certainly still a self-proclaimed NOOB, but I feel like I've actually learned a little something, and the results were quite pleasant!

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Every so often - about twice per year - I'll have a similar experience where the pipe and tobacco I"m smoking, my mood, the weather, the star aligning properly, or whatever, and the smoke will taste absolutely perfect. It's always great - sometimes better than great - but only twice per year is it perfect. And MAN, is that an experience!

Congrats on your discovery. Your excitement is obvious and contagious. In fact, I'm going to take a break and go smoke half a bowl! :thu:

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats to you! A Cob is a great choice for a newb. I am one and have 3. I am glad you enjoyed your smoke, Beale.

6. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Don't let this discourage you away from Bruyere though... there is a reason that most pipes are still made out of them. Just take the time to break it in properly. Hang out here and you'll learn a lot of neat little tricks and tips.

Happy Smoking
    Welcome to the Forum
    Arty

7. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

cobs can definitely be great smokers but remember there is a reason that pipes continue to be made from briar. Don't give up on the briar yet, someday mastering the briar pipe may too "click" with you.

8. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

I must say, I've not yet thrown in the towel on Briars, but I was really amazed at the difference in flavor of the two pipes. I had already smoked maybe 10 bowls to their bottoms through the Briar, and the cake on bottom is developing quite nicely, but that cob was sweet, clean, and smooth. I still plan on at some point aquiring a Meer, and maybe even a Meer lined Briar, but have not given up on the Briars... at least yet. HAHA

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I love it when the light comes on for a new piper...the excitement truly is contagious. Like DMK, I'm pretty much a meer-a-holic, but I do have a few favorite briars, pipes that never seem to let me down.
    Being as you only have two pipes, I would urge you to acquire another cob. This will allow you to "rotate" your pipes...smoke a different one each day, allowing the other two to dry out between smokes.
    Did you keep the filter in the cob, or toss it? most of us toss it. Gives a spectacularly open draw....*almost* too open. BIG difference compared to your basket pipe.
    Next step would be to set aside a few bucks until you can pick up a "name brand" puffer...Sav, Pete or Stanny.
    One of these will go a long way to getting you a better briar experience. In the mean time.....HAVE FUN!

10. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

A Meer is VERY high on my to-do list for sure. And EXACTLY as you said, the Cob, has an amazingly open draw to it. It takes almost no effort at all, and with the aromatic flavors of the Tinder Box Crown Royale, it's almost like sucking on a piece of candy! I realize that Tobacco Store "jar brands" don't even compare to some of the higher end tin varieties, so my enthusiasm, and excitement continues to grow, know that I'm literally only at the tip of the iceberg!

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Cobs Rock! Smoked one "triple fire" while gardening today (Tordenskjokd Va Slices then SG Kendal Cream, and finally GH Bob's Chocolate). Performed flawlessly! Cobs Rock! She's getting a well earned rest......... until I decide to warm her bottom again :P

Glad you found a bit of nirvana there Ben, it gets better so hang on! :D

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.